Which fighter type is your favorite?

Which fighter type is your favorite?

• Light Fighter (Ferret, Arrow, Banshee)

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Medium Fighter (Scimitar, Hellcat, Vindicator)

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Heavy Fighter (Raptor, Sabre, Thunderbolt)

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • Super Fighter (Excalibur, Dragon, Vampire)

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Bomber (Broadsword, Longbow, Devastator)

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Multi-Role (Strike Sabre, Avenger, Strike Vampire)

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Interceptor (Wasp)

Votes: 7 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If anyone remembers correctly the Bearcat was a new Confed fighter using a new propulsion system. I was going to call it experimental but if it is in full production then it must be past the experimental satges.:rolleyes: In my opinion this new drive system makes it lighter. That's why the guns had to be mounted so far out on the wings. The engines took up so much space that that was the only place to put them. Also if you compare specs with other heavy fighters you'll see that the Bearcat has equal or better shielding and armor than other heavies.

The thing I don't like is the slow refire rate of the tachyons. While a couple of direct hits from the tachyons will smoke just about any fighter, the problem is having enough time to do so. After one barrage your target usually has the good sense to get out of your crosshairs. Trying to get in another good shot is then much more difficult.

Originally posted by Quarto
Then, however, you get to Armada, and they're all light fighters by your definition :p.

Yes. I took a peek at the armada manual.
It's interesting that the same Kilrathi Dralthi has a mass of less then 5 tonnes on armada, and a mass of 15 tonnes on WC3 manual.
In short, you can add between 10 to 15 tonnes of mass to each of the arada fighters.

(This is one of things I hated most on the Wing Commander universe - The inconsistecy of the tech manuals and the time lines)

The Armada Dralthi isn't the same version of the Dralthi as that in Wing Commander III, why would they have the same mass?

It doesn't look the same though... it seems to have softer edges than the WCIII Dralthi, not to mention the colouring, which isn't really significant. Either way, there's more difference than between the Dralthi Mk I and Dralthi Mk II which had absolutely no visual change.

Originally posted by TC
It doesn't look the same though... it seems to have softer edges than the WCIII Dralthi, not to mention the colouring, which isn't really significant. Either way, there's more difference than between the Dralthi Mk I and Dralthi Mk II which had absolutely no visual change.

Visuals are not really consistent on the WC universe. The Tiger Claw from the movie is the same ship that Blair is on WC1 and WCA, right?

Originally posted by Delance
Visuals are not really consistent on the WC universe. The Tiger Claw from the movie is the same ship that Blair is on WC1 and WCA, right?

No... but your point was that they looked the same... which they don't... so what, exactly, is your point?

That's what you incorrectly perceived as my point. My point is that the fact that they look alike or not is completely irrelevant.

You are just trying to kill this thread with this useless nitpicking, aren’t you? Ships can look the same and be different inside (Dralthi on WC1/SM2) or look and even be spelled different and still be the same (WC1 Tiger’s Claw / WCM Tiger Claw).

No, we're disscussing different fighter types. You are trying to start an argument.

Just drop it.

The Armada Dralthi has to be a different one from WCIII because there has to be a DralthiIII.

Okay!
I have rechecked the Armada manual.
did any body looked at that shit? I mean REALLY look?

Heavy fighters massing at 8.5 tonnes and measuring 43 meters?

The Dralthi measuring 28 meter?

and what about their armor rating? WC1 ships where better armored!

did someone went insane, or is it just me?

Yeah, just how the heck is an 8.5 ton ship supposed to be 43 meters long? That's about 140 feet! The thing would have to be either mostly empty space, or else made of material as lightweight as styrofoam. And for what? To give the enemy a bigger target to shoot at?

Originally posted by BattleDog
No, we're disscussing different fighter types. You are trying to start an argument.

Just drop it.

Nice flame-bait, dog, but you'll have to try harder.

The Armada Dralthi has to be a different one from WCIII because there has to be a DralthiIII.

What does this have to do with anything? They are different because they are completely different fighters. The WCA one is a light fighter with 2 guns, and the WC3 is a medium fighter with 3 guns, amongst other noticeable differences. They are similar in design.

You are just trying to kill this thread with this useless nitpicking, aren’t you? Ships can look the same and be different inside (Dralthi on WC1/SM2) or look and even be spelled different and still be the same (WC1 Tiger’s Claw / WCM Tiger Claw).

What the hell are you talking about? I was responding to the points you were making. That's not killing a thread... Why would I want to do that, anyway?

Originally posted by Hammerhead
Okay!
I have rechecked the Armada manual.
did any body looked at that shit? I mean REALLY look?

Heavy fighters massing at 8.5 tonnes and measuring 43 meters?

Yeah, density's always been way off... look at the ships in all the games. They appear to have developed ultra-light building materials, somehow.

The Dralthi measuring 28 meter?

Same type of length in all the games except Wing Commander 2 and Prophecy, which have 'short' fighters.

and what about their armor rating? WC1 ships where better armored!

Eh, same order of magnitude of armor as the fighters in WC1 and 2... not a huge deal, they just happen to have less than their contemporaries.

Nice flame-bait, dog, but you'll have to try harder.

You're the one apparantly trolling... stop it.

Originally posted by TC
What the hell are you talking about? I was responding to the points you were making. That's not killing a thread... Why would I want to do that, anyway?

That was a figure of speech. I actually didn't understand what else could you possibly want to know. As far as I could notice, we don't even disagree concerning this whole WC3/WCA Dralthi thing.

Originally posted by Ijuin
Yeah, just how the heck is an 8.5 ton ship supposed to be 43 meters long? That's about 140 feet! The thing would have to be either mostly empty space, or else made of material as lightweight as styrofoam. And for what? To give the enemy a bigger target to shoot at?
I always thought they just screwed up placement of decimal points or used crazy units. The ships are obviously not that big in the games. Just the manuals. Maybe they meant feet but having never used the metric system, they simply took their imperial measure and used the same same numerical value ;)

Back