Which fighter type is your favorite?

Which fighter type is your favorite?

• Light Fighter (Ferret, Arrow, Banshee)

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Medium Fighter (Scimitar, Hellcat, Vindicator)

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Heavy Fighter (Raptor, Sabre, Thunderbolt)

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • Super Fighter (Excalibur, Dragon, Vampire)

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Bomber (Broadsword, Longbow, Devastator)

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Multi-Role (Strike Sabre, Avenger, Strike Vampire)

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Interceptor (Wasp)

Votes: 7 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thankyou Quarto, atleast someone is reading properly.

The only thing that could make the Vind a medium fighter is its gun set, which is a bit on the light side for a heavy.

To say that only the classification matters is stupid, from a real world point of view its dangerous.

A heavy fighter is essentially a heavily armored platform for a lot of guns, with usually poor speed and handling.

Now lets say a Kilrathi pilot is sat in his bunk, he recieves an update about a new Ape fighter. He reads that it is a heavy, nothing more.

This fighter is called the Excalibur.

So our pilot hops in his Dralthi, meats an Excalibur, just as he is about to swing onto this heavy's tail the Excalibur does a snap turn, dives and comes up behind him.

Our Kitty goes boom.

See my point.

Exactly. Light fighters prioritize speed, heavy fighters prioritize offensive power with extra shields/armor to let you survive long enough to turn to face any enemy that comes up behind you, and medium fighters are in the middle. Bombers are basically heavy/superheavy fighters with torpedoes and turrets, and "superfighters" have the attack power of a heavy with much greater speed and agility.

Originally posted by BattleDog
Thankyou Quarto, atleast someone is reading properly.

He doesn’t "necessarily" agrees with you, he just "necessarily" wants to pick a fight.

The only thing that could make the Vind a medium fighter is its gun set, which is a bit on the light side for a heavy.

And it has the size of a LIGHT FIGHTER. The Vindicator is the SECOND SMALLEST fighter of WC4, tied with the ARROW and losing only to the RAZOR.

Your analysis is inaccurate. The Thunderbolt has the very same shields of the Hellcat, and only 20cm of extra armor. It is not an essentially "heavily armored" platform, it only has a little more than your quintessential medium fighter. Heavy fighters don’t need to have lots of guns (Raptor), nor they need to be heavily armored (Excalibur).

To say that only the classification matters is stupid, from a real world point of view its dangerous.

You are the one all concerned with classifications. And from a real world point of view, to think it is dangerous is stupid.

Now lets say a Kilrathi pilot is sat in his bunk, he recieves an update about a new Ape fighter. He reads that it is a heavy, nothing more.

This fighter is called the Excalibur.

So our pilot hops in his Dralthi, meats an Excalibur, just as he is about to swing onto this heavy's tail the Excalibur does a snap turn, dives and comes up behind him.

Our Kitty goes boom.

See my point.

But the Kilrathi would use your brilliant logic and label the Excalibur a light fighter because it's so nimble. The cat charge the Excal, and as the fighter fires it's guns right in front of the poor Kilrathi, the 4 tachyons and 2 reapers tear it down. Yeah, really smart. Not to mention this ludicrous scenario concerning a Kilrathi with short attention span that can only read the headline of the update. :)

So you are proposing a new way to classify fighters based with the idea that the people who designed those fighters don't know what they are talking about, and with the noble objective of saving fictional lives of fictional aliens with fictional low attention spans on a fictional war that is already over on a fictional universe. Hunter would call you a Cat-Lover.

But, please, carry on. Surely the discussion about the fighter class of the Vindicator is something so important that it will eclipse all other subjects of this forum.

Re: Re: Re: Re: For you Dragon lover's

Originally posted by Delance
Listen, go play WCIV on "impossible" and see how much skill it takes to use a Dragon.

Well...
Tried it.
You got a point there.

However, I still hate the damn thing :)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: For you Dragon lover's

Originally posted by HammerHead
Well...
Tried it.
You got a point there.

However, I still hate the damn thing :)

Wow, there should be an award for you. An honest response. My sincere congratulations.

Like/Hating a fighter is a matter of taste. But the Dragon can be an artists ship. :)

Re: Bombers rock!!

Originally posted by Timmy the Tooth
To quote "Fight of the Intruder" : "Fighter jocks make movies (or games). Bomber jocks make history".

Haha, good point. :)

He doesn’t "necessarily" agrees with you, he just "necessarily" wants to pick a fight.
Right, because, after all, anyone who says something you don't agree with must be trying to pick a fight!

Originally posted by Quarto
Right, because, after all, anyone who says something you don't agree with must be trying to pick a fight!

No, just when you find a way to disagree with me even when you don't "necessarily" disagree with me. :)

Well, I was bothered by the way you simply dismissed what he said without even trying to respond to his points. So, even if I don't disagree with you about the Vindicator (in fact, I don't really care, since in UE it's neither a medium nor a heavy :p), I do disagree with the way you argue.

I've gone for the Wasp because of its chunky guns. Turns pretty well, got some good shielding and fires a helluva lot of power up enemy ships.

There's clearly two methods to classifying fighters. "What they seem like to us" and "what they are in the Wing Commander Universe". For discussion purposes the latter is a lot more sensible... because the former is a slippery slope. If I consider having a torpedo to be the mark of a heavy fighter and Delance doesn't, neither of us are wrong... but if Joan's says fighter X is a medium fighter, then it's fairly clear cut.

Which is to say, I certainly see your points as to why the Vindicator is a heavy fighter... but for our purposes, it's hard to label it as such. Every official source we have says it's considered a medium fighter by people in the Wing Commander universe -- the WCIV official guide, the WCIV booklet dealy, the WCIV website, Pliers' console in-game...

(Now, another consideration is that the Vindicators (or Banshees -- is it a heavy fighter?) we fly in WCIV aren't standardized... everything in the Border Worlds is thrown together with spit and glue, so it's not too hard to believe that there's very little standardization circa 2673...)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
There's clearly two methods to classifying fighters. "What they seem like to us" and "what they are in the Wing Commander Universe". For discussion purposes the latter is a lot more sensible... because the former is a slippery slope. If I consider having a torpedo to be the mark of a heavy fighter and Delance doesn't, neither of us are wrong... but if Joan's says fighter X is a medium fighter, then it's fairly clear cut.

Thanks. The thing is that in WC there aren't much guidelines for us to work with, since there would be notable exceptions to most criteria: Armor, Size, Mass, Guns, Missiles, Torpedo loadout, shields, etc. Because of this, the best thing is to follow the classification we find in the games, manuals, etc.

Let's take, for example, the torpedo loadout criteria. The Excalibur has none, so it could be, at best, a medium. The Epee, on the other hand, can carry a torpedo, so it would end up being classified as a heavy.

I see no reason to impugn the official classification from the games and manuals.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

Then again, no one said we had to base our likes/dislikes on specifications.

Thanks. The thing is that in WC there aren't much guidelines for us to work with, since there would be notable exceptions to most criteria: Armor, Size, Mass, Guns, Missiles, Torpedo loadout, shields, etc. Because of this, the best thing is to follow the classification we find in the games, manuals, etc.

Let's take, for example, the torpedo loadout criteria. The Excalibur has none, so it could be, at best, a medium. The Epee, on the other hand, can carry a torpedo, so it would end up being classified as a heavy.

I see no reason to impugn the official classification from the games and manuals.

Apparently fighter classification in the game manuals is being dettermined by the fighter's mass.

The lines are some what vage, but you can put them some thing like this:

up to 13 tonnes - light fighter.
13 to 20 tonnes - medium fighter.
20 and up - heavy fighter/bomber.

Suprisingly (or not) these lines hold for WC 1 2 and 3 for both confed and Kilrathi fighters.

the only two exceptions are the BW Banshee (rated at 18 tonnes and designated as light) and the Confed's Bearcat (Rated at 14 tonnes and designated as heavy, both from WC4 (all other ships in WC4 still stand by these lines).

The Banshee has been a source of debate on one of the forums whether it's light or medium.

The BearCat has half the firepower of the Excaliber (4 light tachyon cannons instead of 4 standard ones and half the missile load) so I think it's more of a medium fighter...

I never liked the Bearcat... the weapons spread is too wide for those light tachyon cannons... however, it is an agile little ship, and if you do a roll while firing you're almost garaunteed a hit or two on them.

The Bearcat some problems... The auto-targeting makes it even harder to hit targets, and the guns are too separated.

The Bearcat some problems... The auto-targeting makes it even harder to hit targets, and the guns are too separated.

If only someone knew how to reset the firing angles like in X-wing Alliance, then the fighters in WCP would be even better. Anyone know why they took the auto-tracking off for WCP??

The Cat has a lot of armor and shielding though, I reckon thats what gets it the heavy slot. Plus the missile load is actually the same as the WC4 ECX.

Originally posted by HammerHead
Suprisingly (or not) these lines hold for WC 1 2 and 3 for both confed and Kilrathi fighters.
Then, however, you get to Armada, and they're all light fighters by your definition :p.

Back