What's More Impressive?

Which (to me) made the Stormfire pretty useless... Damn, I've been relying on the ITTS for far too long. I could hit people without it back in WC 1 and 2... But then, WC 3 and 4 have those really-hard-to-hit ships.

I love the Stormfire in WC4. It kills fighters and capships faster than any other gun IMO. I love taking out 'bows with them on the mission to stop the Lex. It isn't hard using them at all, unles playing on the two highest dificulty levels.

It's a good weapon, but it requires an accurate pilot, which I'm not
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need to be 80% or above accurate to have fun I have plenty of fun while missing one shot in 3.
BTW, the Bearcat's placement of the LT Tachyons makes it hard to hit most ships because they have a shorter cross-section than the bearcat's. If only they put the tachyons about where the hellcat's guns USED to be in WC3.
------------------
Don't look conspicuous-it draws fire.

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited February 18, 2000).]

I miss 2 in 3
smile.gif
. In WCP, I even managed to bring that back up to 1 in 2, but I still miss 50%.

Yeah, but unfortunetly the WCP Stormfire isn't as effective. It's only a little stronger than the Laser, and you always get a small amout of ammo. In WC4 you get 5000 IIRC. Plus in WC4 you have two stormfires, while in Prophecy even if you use WCPedit you will still only have one stormfire with added ammo from the second one.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

But the original stormfire does less damage. Earthworm, haven't you said in WCP you have like a 80 or 90 percent hit percentage? Stormfire 2 does plenty of damage as long as you use that high hit ratio you talk about.

For those of us who can't foresee every bug maneuver, we can increase the damage of each shot.

200 or so damage should be per second with the SF2, however against most ships.

If you're having trouble hitting enemy ships try accelerating the gun shots a little.

------------------

Death's Head said:
But the original stormfire does less damage. Earthworm, haven't you said in WCP you have like a 80 or 90 percent hit percentage? Stormfire 2 does plenty of damage as long as you use that high hit ratio you talk about.

No, 80/90 hit percentage Earthworm gets when Earthworm is using RP's.
smile.gif

Yes, the SF2 does more damage, but in WC4 shields and armor are weaker, and SF1 has a much better refire rate. Overall, the SF in WC4 is much better.

200 or so damage should be per second with the SF2, however against most ships.

Nope, SF2 has lower refire rate, so you won't fire 10 or so shots in a second.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

You all forget the best thign about WC4's StormFire: it fires through shields. In WCP, you have to go through the shields.

What? Are you saying the SF in WC4 passes through the shields? If so, you're wrong, the Stormfire has to take down the shields just like any other gun.

------------------
Gen. Patton

the shields light up,so I assume they have to be penetrated first, but the stormfire does this quickly enough. Just wait 'till you hear the bullets impact that sucker's hull and squeeze it 'till he's spacedust.
biggrin.gif

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

I can see how that MIGHT be, the tech of the original stormfire was so low, maybe modern sheilds aren't designed to counter it. I personally doubt this is the case.

Damage from the SF adds up quickly, it has a high rate of fire, you don't have to wait either for guns to cool down for very long, or for your capacitor to recharge.

Refire rate for Stormfire Mk. 2: 0.10 sec, meaning 10 shots/sec.

IIRC, the original stormfire does 4 damage, uses 5 energy, and has a refire delay around 0.05 sec, which would do slightly less than SF2, which does 210 compared to 200.

SF2 is better IMO, because it does more damage per hit, thus requiring less dwell time per target, and shorter bursts mean less maintenence per gun.

The rapid firing guns on today's fighters spew thousands of rounds a minute, but firning for more than a moment or two would use up a great deal of ammo, plus most guns begin to malfunction after so many rounds in such a short period of time-they overheat.

I like both versions of the SF, the are effective, and sound cool, although I think the Reaper cannon in WC Academy sounds the best. The first time I heard that, I nearly shot out of my chair.
biggrin.gif

------------------

SF2 is better IMO, because it does more damage per hit, thus requiring less dwell time per target, and shorter bursts mean less maintenence per gun.

But the ships in Prophecy have much stronger shields/armor than WC4 ships, so though SF2 does more damage, it isn't as good when compared to other guns in Prophecy. Meanwhile, SF1 is probably the sedond or third best gun in WC4 (the first is the Scatter gun, and maybe the Fission Cannon)

------------------
Gen. Patton

About being the second or third best gun in WC4, that is open to debate.

Ships are improved in WCP, it doesn't take a lot of flight time to notice that. No offense, of course.

Ok the range of the Stormfire MK. 1 is 3000, correct? Well the velocity is only 2000, while SF2 has a range and velocity of 5000 and uses no energy(of course it uses energy, but it is not drawn from the gun capicitor, unlike the original pirate SF).

With that said I think the SF2 is a better weapon, era or no era. The Tachyon in WCP has a dpps of 156, the Ion Gun has a dpps(second) of 86, Plasma Cannons do 288 ps, but are slow, and all those other guns use energy from the gun pool as well.

So overall a damage potential per second of 210 and no loss of gun energy and the ability to switch back to normal guns in one keystroke make the Mk. 2 a real gift.

SF Mk. 1 has a high a velocity as the laser in WC4 but only 60 percent the range.

You have a point it is a good gun in that game, but all I'm saying is Mk. 2 is the better of the two, and it should be given the timespan of ten years for development. Now, only if those high calibur rounds were delayed explosives, in addition to armor piercing, that would be incredible.
biggrin.gif

------------------

The Tachyon in WCP has a dpps of 156, the Ion Gun has a dpps(second) of 86, Plasma Cannons do 288 ps, but are slow, and all those other guns use energy from the gun pool as well.

Um, what? dpps? Tachyon, and the Ion are almost the same as they were in previous games except for some small things like the range changing slightly or the guns using a little more energy. And the Plasma in Prophecy is technicly a new weapon.

------------------
Gen. Patton

The Ion and the Tachyon use the same energy, the ion has the same range.

I'm not sure what I was doing when I calculated the Stormfire Mk. 1 Damage Potential Per Second, but if it does 20 rounds, it does 80 damage per gun per second, when next I install WC4, I intent to get a figuire on how many rounds it shoots in a given time.

The only figuire I got otherwise was a delay of zero, which isn't very likely, considering the tiem to load and fire the rounds.

------------------

Back