What would you like to see in a non-standard Wing Commander game?

HAHA!
No, I mean the clones and the Imperials. Dunno why, but Clone rifle have longer ranges than the robits, the Imperials because of the dark troopers and the fighters(TIE interceptor. 'Nuff said, though I'll take an Epee any day of the week over it.)

Some work was done on "Wing Commander Mercenaries", which was Battlefield 1942 in WC... the project died, but it would have been a WC game with ground combat *and* space stuff.

Before that, there was talk about doing ground combat in the Wing Movie game (which stayed StarLancer) and also doing a straight up WC FPS back at Origin.

That's really cool, was this Origin or Digital Anvil? Around the year 2000?
Command & Conquer: Renegade is a good example of a twist in a series. The game wasn't THAT good, but that's the kind of idea I'd like to see happen to Wing Commander.

I loved Renegade, it wasn't a tremendous game, but it was a lot of fun and I loved the way it was infused with the old-school command and conquer vibe. It got me to unearth my old C&C Gold disks and play through it all over again with fresh eyes. It was also an amazing first attempt at a first person shooter by Westwood.

That's really cool, was this Origin or Digital Anvil? Around the year 2000?

Neither -- this was EA LA in 2004-5. The project was lead by a former Ultima Online developer, who has since left Electronic Arts.

I always wanted to see a wing commander turn-based strategy game in the footsteps of Master of Orion.

It'd be a pretty niche game though.

I always wanted to see a wing commander turn-based strategy game in the footsteps of Master of Orion.

It'd be a pretty niche game though.

Have you heard about Ironduke's WC Tactical Operations ? It's a table turn-based strategy game in WC universe. See the topics about WCTO in Fan projects & Editing for more info.

PC version of the game is currently in development. I'm actually working on the code.

Man, I would absolutley love a WC FPS. I really think, due to the depth of backstory, that that kind of game would have such promise.

I really hope this leads EA to revive the series.

Some work was done on "Wing Commander Mercenaries", which was Battlefield 1942 in WC... the project died, but it would have been a WC game with ground combat *and* space stuff.

That's really interesting, I think both abandoning deep single player storylines and switching genre may have alienated many fans but its really cool. It's startling just how many games in the franchise have been considered, it'd be nice if they followed through with one before now (Privateer 3 woulda been nice).

A great climatic ending for a Wing Commander FPS would be to deploy nukes inside Kirlathi supercarriers on the Battle of Terra. The victory screen would be a big flash of light, and there would be no sequel for the character.

Or bagging the Kilrathi Shock Troops at McAuliffe... or storming the castle at Vukar Tag ;)

Have you heard about Ironduke's WC Tactical Operations ? It's a table turn-based strategy game in WC universe. See the topics about WCTO in Fan projects & Editing for more info.

PC version of the game is currently in development. I'm actually working on the code.

I heard about the tabletop version, but I was unaware that anyone was working on a PC version.

I figured once the tabletop one was finished, I'd give it a go with my game group.

Good luck!

I heard about the tabletop version, but I was unaware that anyone was working on a PC version.

I figured once the tabletop one was finished, I'd give it a go with my game group.

Good luck!
Thx! :)
I'm working on it barely for a month and there's still much to be done, but you can expect more info sometime soon.

Hi, all! For those of you who have Civilization 2, there is Wing Commander scenario you can download from civfanatics.com. It requires Multiplayer Gold to play, but fortunately you can download a patch from the same site that converts your game to MGE.
Whoever made the scenario had to be a big fan because a LOT of work was put into the unit icons...The way it works is, the ships are all land vehicles, with fighters able to land on them. Regular space seems to be made of plains/grass(which doesn't restrict movement), deep space which is likely hills/mountains/swamp, and various types of planets. The main routes are "roads", which speed up movement for land units, and jump points use railroads. Quite innovation, if I may say.
Anyway give it a try.

Hi, all! For those of you who have Civilization 2, there is Wing Commander scenario you can download from civfanatics.com. It requires Multiplayer Gold to play, but fortunately you can download a patch from the same site that converts your game to MGE.
Whoever made the scenario had to be a big fan because a LOT of work was put into the unit icons...The way it works is, the ships are all land vehicles, with fighters able to land on them. Regular space seems to be made of plains/grass(which doesn't restrict movement), deep space which is likely hills/mountains/swamp, and various types of planets. The main routes are "roads", which speed up movement for land units, and jump points use railroads. Quite innovation, if I may say.
Anyway give it a try.

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2/downloads/scenarios/sci-fi/

I used find in firefox (ctrl+f) and searched for Wing. It's about halfway down the page

Back