What moments stand out most?

Vinman

Vice Admiral
What stands out strongest amongst your Wing Commander memories?

For me, it was making my first jump in Privateer. It felt like the world was opening up in a huge way, that I really was in charge. As much as I loved the first two games, Privateer felt like something entirely new. It was very exciting.

Honestly...

I played Wing Commander 3 first. the last Wing Commander Game I got to play was WC2. Because I couldn't get it working on my computer... ever. I had heard about the Concordia and saw the morale hit so I was like, "It must have really been awesome flying off that ship."

So what stood out for me... the first time landing on the flight deck of the Concordia in that little Ferret. Nothing will ever replace that.

I'm with Vinman, the first time I played Privateer was the defining experience of playing the series. No other game, not even Freelancer has been able to come close to that. Funny enough, like Frosty, I had a backwards trek through the series. Started with WC4, then WC3, WC2, and was only able to play WC1 (KS version) when it was included on a PCGamer CD.

Probably WCP, Disc 2, when I kept failing at the Relay Station mission when Blair was captured. I forgot how old I was, but I was very young, and the Disc 2 music* just...made the experience all the creepier...

*=The Disc 2 music I'm referring to is the one when there are no enemies around, which I've titled "Howling Dark"

(on the bridge of the Vesuvius)

Tolwyn: Full 180. ... When you've got a junkyard dog nipping at your heels, the best thing to do is turn around and kick it in the teeth.

(in the CIC of the Intrepid)

Sosa: (disbelieving): ... He's turning around!

Blair: (showing a moment of fear): All hands! Battle Stations!

Best moment in the series.

Privateer was also my first WC game. The memory that stands out the most was finally completing a mission. I hadn't read the manual, and kept wondering why the navpoint took me to the blue sphere but nowhere else. When I finally figured out what I was doing wrong, I felt like king of the universe and that nothing could stop me. Then I felt like an idiot and went back and read the manual to see what else I hadn't figured out yet!!

I guess I'm lucky in that I played through the main series in order, and I think this is the reason why I agree with Mace; destroying Kilrah was huge, it was the moments after that had the back of my neck tingling.

When Melek slumps down to kneel before Blair, the music softens and he utters 'we are surrendering to you, heart of the tiger'

To hear that from a Kilrathi was a major moment. It had been one hell of a fight, all those years of struggle, campaigns, missions, dogfights, kills, crewmates lost, and the fight for survival finally ended in a sentence. For the first time ever, I felt sorry for the Kilrathi.

I also love the treaty signing scene aboard the deck of the Victory, again largely to the upbeat victorious music for the scene. WC3 is GREAT :D

(on the bridge of the Vesuvius)

Tolwyn: Full 180. ... When you've got a junkyard dog nipping at your heels, the best thing to do is turn around and kick it in the teeth.

(in the CIC of the Intrepid)

Sosa: (disbelieving): ... He's turning around!

Blair: (showing a moment of fear): All hands! Battle Stations!

Best moment in the series.

Ooooh, yeah, that was a good one, I got chills just reading that.

For me it was finding out that Angel really was dead in Wing Commander III, and that Hobbes was really a traitor. I was so mad about that, I refused to believe it for the longest time, even after I got to the final mission in the game I was still in denial.

EDIT: That probably ties with Svetlana's death in End Run. That one really ripped my heart out.

I was gonna say "Farbournes" WC4 scheme......

Although.... I have to say I liked when the Behemoth blew up... (And I tried forever thinking I could save it)...

and also on the losing path in WC3....The Dreadnought is definitely fun

For me it was when I first saw WC2 in my local GAME shop.
I had an Amiga, so had only played the WC1 Vega campaign and had fallen in love with the whole universe and especially the 'Claw. When I saw the screenshot with Thrakath saying "Sire, my fighters have destroyed the Tiger's Claw", I was fuming.

Went straight back home plugged into a raptor and toasted many a cat.

For me it was when I first saw WC2 in my local GAME shop.
I had an Amiga, so had only played the WC1 Vega campaign and had fallen in love with the whole universe and especially the 'Claw. When I saw the screenshot with Thrakath saying "Sire, my fighters have destroyed the Tiger's Claw", I was fuming.

Went straight back home plugged into a raptor and toasted many a cat.

Ahhh GAME, quite the favourite of my early teenage years. Nice to know there are other Brits here though :D

Hobbes betrayal. Honestly, I was sure the traitor was a human. It was a great shock to me.

It felt like the world was opening up in a huge way, that I really was in charge

I had the same feeling.. Sadly it won't come back :(

It comes back for me every time I fire the game(s) up. Privateer is especially a joy to come back to after a while. Try it and see. :)

I'm with Danr with the bit where Melek surrenders to you. Right up to that point I was thinking "Oh crap he's gonna die. I win and they kill me!"

Oh and Danr, I got my copy from GAME too, yes I'm a Brit

It comes back for me every time I fire the game(s) up. Privateer is especially a joy to come back to after a while. Try it and see. :)

Agreed, it's amazing how well the Wing Commander games hold up, especially Privateer.

Since we're remembering our old game stores, I got all the Wing Commander games at Egghead Software, which went out of business shortly after the release of Prophecy. Funny note, after I got Prophecy, my family went to a pizza restaurant that also no longer exists. They literally tore it down. *sigh*

What stands out strongest amongst your Wing Commander memories?

For me, it was making my first jump in Privateer. It felt like the world was opening up in a huge way, that I really was in charge. As much as I loved the first two games, Privateer felt like something entirely new. It was very exciting.

The jump sequence in Priv is by far the best of the series. Watching your ship get flung across light years with that music playing is forgettable.

Back