What does Privateer 1.0 need?

one thing I noticed (I read through most of this, didn't see this mentioned) is that the pirates you're bounty tells you to kill will shoot at you, then say something like "you're clear for clicks"........ oftentimes you won't ever see your target, then 10 minutes later, it just says mission accomplished.. maybe the feds got em, but I didn't even see a battle..

And has anyone seen those long lines of 20+ salvage items that just appear..

Great game, alot more stable than my vegastrike..

JKeefe said:
Cool.

How much do ships go for in the commoditiy exchange?

Thought I responded to this
The ships go for 10 cr for Talons, Dralthi & Gothri, going rate for salvage for other stuff. Galaxy, Orion, Tarsus and Centurion are whatever the going rate at that base is for ships. If there is no dealer, you might not be able to get a decent price for them. THAT assumes you've hacked the game, because the game only allows you to buy and sell what's in your fleet and that's supposed to only be one of five ships at the mo.

Deedlit said:
one thing I noticed (I read through most of this, didn't see this mentioned) is that the pirates you're bounty tells you to kill will shoot at you, then say something like "you're clear for clicks"........ oftentimes you won't ever see your target, then 10 minutes later, it just says mission accomplished.. maybe the feds got em, but I didn't even see a battle..

And has anyone seen those long lines of 20+ salvage items that just appear..

Great game, alot more stable than my vegastrike..

You hear battle from jump points you aren't near.

The salvage is frequently from a downed freighter or capital ship.

and that's generally all you can get for it to, salvage prices. 10 cr each.

Ahh, I don't actually listen to the ingame sounds, I turn on a cd.. hehe, habit

from the original privateer.

OK, What's the deal with the communications? Like they'll shoot at you, then give a friendly message..
Let me know if I'm just missing something..

Deedlit said:
Ahh, I don't actually listen to the ingame sounds, I turn on a cd.. hehe, habit

from the original privateer.

OK, What's the deal with the communications? Like they'll shoot at you, then give a friendly message..
Let me know if I'm just missing something..

You may NOT be on good terms with that one ship, but on good terms with the faction.

It seems that the faction standings are what determine the dialogue you hear/read. For instance, you're doing a rescue pirate from merchants mission. Your faction relations with the merchants is +100, but as soon as you got that pirate onboard your ship, the merchants attacking the pirate are now attacking YOU. So instead of hearing something like "Not bad for a lowly merchant, eh, pirate?" you hear, "How's the business treating you, frined?"

Oddly disconcerting to hear overtures of friendship as they're trying to tear you apart.

There are times I wish I could shut off the in flight dialogue voices along with the music and still hear the rest of the sounds. Engines, weapons station voices etc. . .all desireable. At times cockpit chatter and music are undesirable.

To change all that, though I think you'd really have to make some major changes. I mean, your options menu would need to change in the setup programme, your variable type for each sound set would have to change as well.

Instead of FX & Music types, you'd have FX, Music, Cockpit Vioces & Station Voices. Then you'd have to change the directory structure and. . .lots of work and I don't know if the variables are there for some of it. I mean, how many dropdown menus can you manage in the setup programme?

Adding different sound variables SHOULD be a function of adding global variable types and subtypes, BUT. . .

Then, changing the type of voice calls from faction to unit relations, and I don't think that's possible. At least, not right now. Major changes, those.

I Love the game as it is, so I'm not complaining. Maybe that could be something to look at for release 2.0? In any event, for now, I'm happy to be able to play a 3-D version of my favourite game. No matter how great the game is or becomes, there are always things for a wish list.

Tarsus should be able to get engine upgrades

In the original Privateer one could buy engine upgrades, so that you could fire heavier weapons without a deadly recharge delay.
In this mod I could only find reactors.
They cannot be fitted onto a Tarsus.
Else it would take a LONG time to get the dough to buy a Galaxy.
The odds against survival when patrolling is too slim without these upgrades.
The game becomes less boring too, because you must accumulate cash in order to buy the upgrades.

something I forgot in the previous post.

In the original privateer you have to buy the proper launchers (like a proton torpedo launcher) before being able to use that ammo.
This is much more realistic.

Xyloc said:
In the original Privateer one could buy engine upgrades, so that you could fire heavier weapons without a deadly recharge delay.
In this mod I could only find reactors.
reactor == engine.
They cannot be fitted onto a Tarsus.
Sure they can, as long as they aren't higher than a level 1. That is how it was in the original.

There is a newer thread for these kind of issues.

I know this is an ancient thread but I have a question. I'm on an old game binge and came across this remake version of Privateer. The graphics look amazing. Great work people!
If anyone sees this I have one question: Are ships like the Paradigm, Drayman and Milspec available in the 1.2 version?

Back