what do you think of another WC toon?

What ever happened to Space: Above and Beyond? It really reminded me of WC a bit, but I don`t think it survived for very long, did it?

Space:Above and Beyond was cancelled, but it continues on the Sci-Fi channel in reruns. They never finished the show, it ended on a cliff-hanger. And as for Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers sucking, I guess you were either to young to appreciate them or it was not to your standards. Both shows did very well back then and ran their time slots. Like Star Wars they were the first Sci-Fi shows that did well even into syndication, and have a large following even today. I agree with your Space:AAB statement, it would have to be similar, but also unique unto itself. A show must have its own special something otherwise its doomed to failure. Needs some big names and the backing of a big production company for it to really take off. It could work, hell maybe someone on the Sci-Fi channel should be approached...they have been launching series after series, and a lot of them suck and are still on. So maybe we should try there or even USA who happen to be from the same parent company.

------------------
BLACKLION
Special Operations
"Kind of a bummer have your butt kicked by a dead guy!"

TheBLACKLION said:
Space:Above and Beyond was cancelled, but it continues on the Sci-Fi channel in reruns. They never finished the show, it ended on a cliff-hanger. And as for Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers sucking, I guess you were either to young to appreciate them or it was not to your standards. Both shows did very well back then and ran their time slots. Like Star Wars they were the first Sci-Fi shows that did well even into syndication, and have a large following even today. I agree with your Space:AAB statement, it would have to be similar, but also unique unto itself. A show must have its own special something otherwise its doomed to failure. Needs some big names and the backing of a big production company for it to really take off. It could work, hell maybe someone on the Sci-Fi channel should be approached...they have been launching series after series, and a lot of them suck and are still on. So maybe we should try there or even USA who happen to be from the same parent company.

Yeah Sci-fi has no problem with putting crap on. On the other hand, quality shows, like MST3K, they cancel
mad.gif
As for Battlestar Galactica and Buck ROdgers. BR was okay, though I loved Battlestar. Sic-Fi did do a nice "Sciography" of the show the other day and talked about part of the reason it failed was that even though it did well in the ratings it cost to much to make. They also had legal problems with George Lucas and mixed support from ABC. They tried to revive it with Galactica 80, which did stink to high heaven. There are a lot of people who view Galactica 80 the same way I look at the WC movie. They try to pretend it never existed. However, I will say this, the WC movie is way better than Galactica 80. I don't see the WC franchise making a succesful move into TV. I think the powers to be waited to long and the market isn't right for the show, and to some extent for the games. I wouldn't be surprised though in a few years to see a revival in some form. Hell, even the old ZORK games came back after a 10+ year banishment into obilivion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buck Rogers and Battlestar Galactica are fine when you are a kid, but they are wayyy to cheesy and have horrible plots and actors to be any good to an adult. I loved Buck Rogers as a kid, but I can't even watch one episode now. Just like I used to love the Superfriends show. Now I laugh my ass off watching 5 min. of it.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

I haven't seen Buck Rodgers in years, so I can't really say for sure, and I was probably 7 when it came out which was laos the last time I saw it. I have watched Battlestar recently and it had some very good episodes decent effects (for the time and the budget.) The acting was alright, especially for a shwo in its first season. It did have that stupid robot dog thing and a few other problems, but it had potential. There is talk of them bringing it back. We'll see.

[This message has been edited by Shane (edited August 02, 2000).]

I see what you are all saying but you are comparing apples and oranges. To say that is to say the original Star Wars sucks cause the used similar effects as BG and BR. That was then and they were state of the art then. If they were to use todays tech and different actors and clean up the 80's cheesey vocab, it would work and everyone would watch it. But they tried to revive the old show and it flopped. They need a new spin on it. As for WC coming to TV...your right, it would not do so Hot on ABC or CBS or NBC. But on the Sci-Fi channel with the right writers it would take off like the Weasel Hunter flew in the novels, much like Farscape has....

------------------
BLACKLION
Special Operations
"Kind of a bummer have your butt kicked by a dead guy!"

BG became a hit, because the original movie had big names on it and was shown in sense-surround. The stories are okay, but the space battles suck - rehashed here, there, and everywhere. They did'nt do that in Star Wars, then again SW was'nt serialized. Babylon 5 looks good, but the fighters are wimps. Hmmm... I must have been infected w/ WC bias to appreciate B5.

------------------
Turn me loose, Colonel.
This is what I live for!

B5 fighters are wimps because they are grounded much more in reality than most shows. They are the only ships on any television show that act like ships do in space, they lack shields, and can't take 500 laser hits. Weapons technology is almost always ahead of armor tech so the only way to survive is to simply not get hit. I love the space battles on B5 because no one gets hit 100 times without major damage like on most shows. In space every hit that pierces armor is very very serious and it should be portrayed that way.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

FYI: I chosed those animes because they all they dubs on American tv. Dubs that actually doing well.

ANd there's Reboot....

Reboot was canceled because ABC didn't want to air non-Disney stuff.

But now since the show is on Cartoon Network there's talk about a posible fourth season. There are already two movies, both to be released soon.

------------------
Meson

Wing Commander is more than just a game. It is a lifestyle.

Meson: Yes but what I am saying is that a WC cartoon would not be anime, it would be an american cartoon even if we paid an anime company to make it. The reason the dub's do so well is that they are cheap. It's the same as buying a syndicated show, its like 1/100th the cost of the real thing so TV stations here are willing to spend the money for it. As for Reboot, it also wasn't doing well its last season. When everyone gets tired of Pokemon, that's ok because no TV station owns it, the yjust bought the rights. But if you make a cartoon which are expensive and it goes out of favor, then you've lost tons of money.

------------------

I wish they'd bring Robotech back. Granted it was 3 unique Japanese shows melded together to form one American show, but it was pretty darn cool. I remember watching it for the first time and characters actually died. They didn't come back later having pulled off a minor miracle, they actually died. I was blown away by that concept. At the time in the US, the big hit was GI Joe, and even though thousands of rounds were fired and lots of equipment was destroyed, no one every died or really got hurt, for that matter.

I think they could flesh out a story following WC1-WC3 without much problem, and like Robotech and a few other shows I can think of, it has a plot and a definite end point. No endless war that never seems to end.

Now getting it made is a whole other story. It is my opinion that unless you have deep pockets, live action sci-fi on TV tends to look bad, and the special effects are the limiting factor. Grantd it is getting easier and cheaper to do some effects. The problem is, the effects that were cutting edge and expesnive say 5 years ago (and are now easier and cheaper) are not as realistic looking as the current expensive and complicated effects.

I think that an animated series would have the best chance, though I don't mean by that statement that it would be cheap. How ever you can have cool battles and don't have to worry about breaking the bank. The WC universe has a great base to build upon, it is a shame it is being left to rot.

A few people died in the last GI Joe episode (I loved that show!
smile.gif
Still got tons of guys and vehicules)

The special effects for Space: Above and beyond (wich still look pretty damn good) were made on regular (but back then) whopping fast p166's
smile.gif

Back in '98 all of the cast were prepared to star in a second series (except Wang, who blew up) Unfortunatly Fox (in their infinete wisdom decided there was no audience for it.
frown.gif

Luckely for me I gor to see Vansen and Ross return in Millenium (my second favorite show ever after S:AaB, also by the same creators)
But those fucking Fox bastards decided to ax that as well
mad.gif

Is there no justice?
frown.gif

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

Hail to the king, baby.
-Ash, housewares

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Space above and Beyond died because of horrible scheduling. Almost every episode during football season had its beginning cut off. That's why I stopped watching it. As for Millienium, I liked every season but the first, which consisted of him chasing serial killers every freaking episode. Luckily Chris Carter really likes the character and is planning to bring him back for some X-Files episodes next year.

------------------

Millennium was created by Chris Carter (The X-Files) while Space: Above and Beyond was created by James Wong and Glen Morgan (The Others, recently canceled by NBC). I see how'd you be confused, 'cause Wong and Morgan wrote for both the X-Files (some of the best episodes of the series, IMO) and Millennium.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Frank Black did make an appearence in an episode of the X-files this past season. The one set at New Year's where Scully and Moulder kissed. Good episode.

Yes I know. CC is planning to bring him back if Lance Hendrikson is available for at least one more episode and possibly more.

------------------

Shane said:
I wish they'd bring Robotech back. Granted it was 3 unique Japanese shows melded together to form one American show, but it was pretty darn cool. I remember watching it for the first time and characters actually died. They didn't come back later having pulled off a minor miracle, they actually died. I was blown away by that concept.

They are bringing Robotech back. Robotech 3000, the American version will be the original version, will be released in a year or 2.
smile.gif

I think they could flesh out a story following WC1-WC3 without much problem, and like Robotech and a few other shows I can think of, it has a plot and a definite end point. No endless war that never seems to end.

This is what I have been thinking all this time

Now getting it made is a whole other story. It is my opinion that unless you have deep pockets, live action sci-fi on TV tends to look bad, and the special effects are the limiting factor. Grantd it is getting easier and cheaper to do some effects. The problem is, the effects that were cutting edge and expesnive say 5 years ago (and are now easier and cheaper) are not as realistic looking as the current expensive and complicated effects.

I think that an animated series would have the best chance, though I don't mean by that statement that it would be cheap. How ever you can have cool battles and don't have to worry about breaking the bank. The WC universe has a great base to build upon, it is a shame it is being left to rot.

I couldn't say it better myself.

------------------
Meson

Wing Commander is more than just a game. It is a lifestyle.

I'd like to track down all the old episodes. I had access to them in the past but no money. Now I have money, but no access. Or at least I'm not willing to pay as much as some are selling them for. Hopefully with the 3000 thing (which I'll have to look into), Harmony Gold will re-release the old episodes. I did hear Mattel or maybe Hasbro (?) is working on a console or PC game, which might be cool. There is a web site that has the old episodes, but the quality isn't the greatest.

Just looked for Robotech 3000 info and found this link. They are planning to release the old series on DVD. YES! http://scifi.ign.com/anime/4917.html

[This message has been edited by Shane (edited August 04, 2000).]

Back