• Improved Sound / Music

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Multiplayer

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Resolution to the end of Prophecy

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • Resolution to what happened to "You Know Who"

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • The return of the Intrepid's helmswoman (from WC4)

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters
Because of the joystick routines :)
They SUCK *g*
Plus 3d acceleration won't ruin notalgia :p
Don't you watch the remastered SW?

I've used a joystick all my life and never in a game have I moved the stick in one direction and had the craft move in the wrong one however in WC3+4 this happens when you only move it very slightly, and since I always aim with small movements when possible so it s a big prob

I haven't noticed this problem with my Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback II USB (in the KS WC3 and WC4 with Windows update). Perhaps it's joystick specific.
I used to have a joystick that did that a lot. I rarely used it because it was so bad. And using it became very hard after my brother broke the vertical axis playing Tie Fighter...
Crappy thing! Can't believe I spent money on that. :mad:
Ah well, at least my FF2 was free.

Well I was using a 3d pro, I am using a precision pro and although I'm upgrading to the FF2 I doubt it will make a difference.
Some people just don't notice it but I'm one of those who spent like 5 hours getting the setup perfect for windows and every DOS game, precision is what I like *g* :)
Its always been the same some people have noticed it, some haven't doesn't seem to be a pattern with joysticks though, its Origins first attempt at using Direct Input I think that is to blame :)

Yeah, I had a similar problem with my Logitech Wingman Extreme joystick; in WC3 (original, not KS), it jumps all over the place but still functions in the game, but it's calibration is all off for P2. I'm looking into getting an old Gravis 4-button stick just for those 2 games, 'cause the Wingman works fine everywhere else.

I want Privateer re-released in Win95! :D

Failing that, I like the ambience in Independence War II. Or at least the demo (Can't find the full version anyywhere ???). The best thing those kind of games have going for them are the INSTANT ACTION MODE!! WOOHOO!!!

Oh yeah, can't forget superior background graphics and music better than Prophecy's. (I actually like Prophecy's music quite a bit; just not at first. Oldziey tends to grow on you, though).

[British Voice] You lucky Ameican bastards! You lucky, lucky...[/British Voice] YOU have Force Feedback IIs and Wingmen Extremes while I'M stuck with the Gravis two-button that came with WCII!

Oops, forgot I'm American. ^_^;;; But the point still stands. (I think..after all, I could just go out and buy a new joystic. Never mind)

Originally posted by Supdon3
yeah they are definitly the same engine. The pacing of the missions has more to do with the way they were designed. THey were programmed to be hurling a lot of stuff at you. But the feel of it all and the mindset while playing are different for 1/2/P than 3/4

On a side note if I recall, WC used sprites and II pre-rendered. Something like that.

Originally posted by Pedro
Well talking to TigerShark it should be possible to put Planetside missions ino VS one day :) Ofcourse hes concentrating on more important things right now but hell its something to look forward to :)

For players of Prophecy: As an owner of Prophecy it SUCKED! Is this the best engine origin can come up with? VS a fan-made engine Kicks the crap out of the prophecy engine.

That is correct Hellcatv AKA Tigershark is busy with other stuff, but it will be in there. I've been working on the universe map, it should be finished shortly. Other stuff can be checked out here:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net
and here:
http://wcmods.badfellas.de/WCUniverse/index.shtml
BTW does anyone know where i can get a Dos USB driver for my joystick?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://wcmods.badfellas.de/WCUniverse/index.shtml
Forcefeedback emulator for all win9x games....
100% FF2 compatible!

Originally posted by Bob McDob
[British Voice] You lucky Ameican bastards! You lucky, lucky...[/British Voice] YOU have Force Feedback IIs and Wingmen Extremes while I'M stuck with the Gravis two-button that came with WCII!

Oops, forgot I'm American. ^_^;;; But the point still stands. (I think..after all, I could just go out and buy a new joystic. Never mind)
The point is even more mute if you consider I'm NOT American... :D

On a side note if I recall, WC used sprites and II pre-rendered. Something like that.
Both WC1 and 2 used sprites. Only I don't have a clue how they made the sprites for WC1 (drew them?), and WC2 definitely used pre-rendered 3D models to generate the sprites. But since that's done by Origin while making the game, it doesn't mean the engine is at all different.

Now Darkmage I know your somewhat excited but don't take that out on Prophecy, it was an AMAZING engine for its time, I mean come on 1997, 4 years ago! In computer terms thats a LONG time and to this day it reamins a good engine.
Its like saying VS looks better than WC1, lol ofcourse it does, the age thing man! :)

I just ordered my Force Feedback 2 USB Joystick along with a copy of Independance War 2, also bought X Beyond the Frontier for £5 so I'll have a lot to test it with.

Does anyone have the Game Voice? I think it sounds cool to say increase aft shields (and easier on the memory remembering the different controls for different games) etc but how reliable is it?

Well I wouldn't go that far Kris :) It has a lot of potential and with the exception of those AWFUL laser effects and the backgrounds ripped from Prophecy looks pretty stunning :)
Why do people always express how much they like one thing by insulting another?

I understand Kris only if he has a 3dfx card! The new VS engine does not work with my glorious Voodoo2!
Now, for the backgrounds, why don't you try to draw them with universe? it's a cool program to realize realistic-space backgrounds....
However, new VS shots looks really cool! I'm not sure if the engine is really superior to Origin's Vision, but it can surely compete with it!

well at the moment its clearly not (except maybe graphically) but its got the potential :)
I've never heard of universe

Raw numbers aside (maximum resolution, number of polywhatevers per ship), the Vision engine is absolutely stunning. It brings the ships to life, unlike some of the newer 'look-at-my-polycount' engines.

In my defence I would like to say this: The backgrounds you have seen will not be in the final release. The backgrounds will only contain nebula.... we did this for a reason. The engine itself will generate stars to go on the background. Now is an exciting time for us, it's all coming together, Tigershark has done a ton of programming which he's now linking together. there have been tons of features that were added at the start which weren't activated.... these are all starting to come online now.
BTW in 1998 Descent: Freespace the great war was released, I personally believe it to be far superior to Prophecy. I will give Origin this though wc1-4 and all the addons were the best series ever made IMHO Prophecy was the only one I didn't really like.

BTW there will be a 3dfx version released, but my advice would be to upgrade to a geforce2 or geforce3, the effects look simply amazing. I won't even get to see some of them... this truly is a game for the fans. There will be some effects mself and Tigershark will not get to see.

I'm not really sure I trust the future of Wing Commander to a man who would call Freespace vastly superior to Prophecy.

Thankgod for the rest of the projects and the the fact VS will be open to all :)

Just kidding man but get some perspective :p

Back