What a pleasant Surprise!

Danaus

Spaceman
I don't know if Arena is any good or not. Maybe some others can add to this list.

Pros:
1. Most Xbox Live Arcade Games are $8.00.
2. They seem to have done there homework on the WC universe with planes, weapons, and mythology.
3. Laser's and explosions look pretty.
4. Xbox Live.
5. First new Wing Commander since Chris Roberts left the company(10 years ago).
6. First new Wing Commander since Origin closed down(3 years ago).

5. First new Wing Commander since Chris Roberts left the company(10 years ago).

This isn't true - Chris left Origin after Wing Commander IV... Prophecy and Secret Ops were both done without him (as well as several more recent ports, WC for the PSP and WCP for the GBA).

Wing Commander Arena is a fun game. The professional gaming sites have already pointed this out, and I can tell you that it plays like a Wing Commander. It's not some arcade game where a shot kills a ship -- they have shields and armor and weapon selection and targetting and complex maneuvers and special devices taken from WC lore.

I was testing you guys!
Just Kidding. Wow. You really know your stuff.

WC4 was Released in 1995.
Roberts left Origin in 1996. (He may have started work on Prophecy? Unclear)
Prophecy was released in 1997.
Wing Commander (film) was released in 1999.
Electronic Arts closed Origin down in 2004.

WC4 actually came out in '96 -- it was delayed from December 95 to February 96 at the last minute... and boy, were those two of the longest months of my life.

Chris didn't work on Prophecy... he was attached to several other projects that never made it out -- including a Privateer sequel and a FMV title called Silverheart.

Pros:
1. Most Xbox Live Arcade Games are $8.00.

Many Arcade games are 800 points, which corresponds to $10 and other amounts in different countries. Games range from 400-1200 points ($5-15) with a few that have additional addons (which sometimes have separate costs).

WC4 actually came out in '96 -- it was delayed from December 95 to February 96 at the last minute... and boy, were those two of the longest months of my life.

I still remember it like it was today, the future of WC never looked so bright.

Well, hopefully that will change.

Oh man, that takes me back.

I remember when it finally came out, my dad took me to Egghead Software (remember them?) to get it, and he was stunned by the hard drive space requirement...

Twenty megabytes?!

No, WC4, but we had a 344mb hard drive so I'd just do a basic install.

Hehe, back then I had an 8-bit soundcard, so I played WC3 and WC4 without sound.

I went out and bought an 8-bit sound card for WC2 and used it for WC3 and WC4 fine. Are you sure you had a sound card at all?

"8-bit soundcard... Without Sound" sounds wierd.

-- It was either adlib or soundblaster in that day. Adlib had "no speech". I bought the sb for WC2.

My appologies for the "bump" but I feel this may be important information:

So far, the high quality Xbox Live Arcade games have been priced around 1200 points, or $15 USD. If Arena is as high caliber as it would appear to be, I think we'll be seeing it around that price, rather than 800 MSPoints. Wing Commander has always had a sense of quality to it, and if EA fulfills that, it's probably going to be worth 1200 points, and sold at that price as well.

The only game I can think of that's worth 1200 points and isn't would be Marble Blast Ultra. I still can't believe I only paid $10 for it, Xbox Live Arcade games can be well worth the money. I don't think WCArena, no matter it's price, will be any exception.

EA has announced that their first EA Arcade title, Boom Boom Rocket, will cost 800 points. I haven't played BBR and I don't personally see the appeal to it... but EA certainly thinks it's big enough to be their first release.

The history so far seems to be mostly 400 point smaller releases and 800 point bigger ones. 1200 point games have been few and far between (there have only been three so far).

But, of course, it would be cheap at any price.

Back