Website update, March 20th

Yes, of course. I remember that refuelling scene now.

I agree with you on that assessment too, Mekt. It makes sense for standard manoeuvring to consume some fuel too.

IIRC, in WC1 and 2 you lose fuel even when not afterburning but very little. So in theory, I you flew around enough in the Crossbow and Broadsword you could be short on fuel for jumping. Though I think you would have to fly for hours.
Well... no, you don't, not gameplay-wise - but the WC1 manual does state that this does indeed happen, and of course we see Blair run out of fuel in the movie (...and an episode of Academy? I don't remember if Blair's Broadsword was damaged or out of fuel).

Actually, the WC1 manual even goes as far as to say (in the gameplay section!) that if you run out of fuel, you will only be able to fly at the speed of 50kps. Presumably, at some point during the game's development, this was indeed the case - and then somebody wisely decided that this kind of limitation is just a little bit excessive.

Really? I could have sworn that after each autopilot the fuel gauge decreased a little in WC1...or just by flying around.

It definately does not decrease through normal flying from WC3 onwards but for WC1 and 2 I was 95% sure that it does use up a tiny amount of fuel.

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. It's been so long since I've played them, I can't say for sure. Either way, I really don't think the fuel consumption is significant from a game-play point of view.

Well... no, you don't, not gameplay-wise - but the WC1 manual does state that this does indeed happen, and of course we see Blair run out of fuel in the movie (...and an episode of Academy? I don't remember if Blair's Broadsword was damaged or out of fuel).

Actually, the WC1 manual even goes as far as to say (in the gameplay section!) that if you run out of fuel, you will only be able to fly at the speed of 50kps. Presumably, at some point during the game's development, this was indeed the case - and then somebody wisely decided that this kind of limitation is just a little bit excessive.

This is absolutely true. It happened to me...once. I'd damaged my ion driver, and was pretty much leaning on the AB the entire mission (in a Scim, I think...) in order to be able to manage even 300 kps. (My memory is hazy about the details). I ran out and could only run at 50 kps. Luckily, there was just one cat left, and I took him out in a head on and managed to survive and land. But the techs weren't happy with me!

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. It's been so long since I've played them, I can't say for sure. Either way, I really don't think the fuel consumption is significant from a game-play point of view.

Oh absolutely not, the fuel lost was tiny in my memory.

This is absolutely true. It happened to me...once. I'd damaged my ion driver, and was pretty much leaning on the AB the entire mission (in a Scim, I think...) in order to be able to manage even 300 kps. (My memory is hazy about the details). I ran out and could only run at 50 kps. Luckily, there was just one cat left, and I took him out in a head on and managed to survive and land. But the techs weren't happy with me!
Oh, that's something else entirely - yeah, if your engine was damaged, your speed would drop to something really miserable (though your memory is deceiving you, I believe - I'm pretty sure AB speed wasn't affected). Once, in WC2, I came back to the Concordia in a badly damaged Sabre, flying at 200kps or something, only to find it under attack by a bunch of Grikaths. I wasn't very happy :p.

(not that it mattered, since the Concordia was invulnerable anyway)

Lucky Concordia. They should stick a plot-shield around everyone. Prevents anyone from being killed in combat.

Yeah, but then the cats might come up with a plot-shield of their own... and soon enough, someone would develop plot-transit torpedoes :).

Oh, that's something else entirely - yeah, if your engine was damaged, your speed would drop to something really miserable (though your memory is deceiving you, I believe - I'm pretty sure AB speed wasn't affected). Once, in WC2, I came back to the Concordia in a badly damaged Sabre, flying at 200kps or something, only to find it under attack by a bunch of Grikaths. I wasn't very happy :p.

Yeah, I think this is a case of a damaged engine. I don't think autopilot or normal maneuvering impacts the gauge.

(not that it mattered, since the Concordia was invulnerable anyway)
Your main drive and your afterburners were independent of each other. So theoretically you could have your main drive practically destroyed and your afterburners unaffected and still travel at at 1000 mph (I believe that was the top speed of most). However, if your afterburners were damaged (but not destroyed) and your main drive also damaged, you could find yourself doing 300 on afterburners. I remember doing that an awful lot, I had a lot of issues shaking guys off my tail when I was younger.

Sigh, nobody believes me - I definately have to try it out. Maybe it's the same with EA Replay that at least I can set up to play without much trouble.

Well... no, you don't, not gameplay-wise - but the WC1 manual does state that this does indeed happen, and of course we see Blair run out of fuel in the movie

He was being chased by a Snakier, probably on full afterburners as much as possible. Then that last blast that shot him out of Scylla... on the other hand we do hear other pilots say that they're flying on fumes. It could just be because its an older fighter.

Your main drive and your afterburners were independent of each other. So theoretically you could have your main drive practically destroyed and your afterburners unaffected and still travel at at 1000 mph (I believe that was the top speed of most). However, if your afterburners were damaged (but not destroyed) and your main drive also damaged, you could find yourself doing 300 on afterburners. I remember doing that an awful lot, I had a lot of issues shaking guys off my tail when I was younger.

The top speeds in WC1 were 1240, 1120, 1300 & 1200 kps.

Back