Weapon Damage

Death's Head

Spaceman
I was wondering about missile and torpedo damage.

IIRC, the Lance torpedo does 800cm of damage and the other missiles do between 10 and 80.

Yet in Propecy torpedoes do between 80 and 200, why the sudden drop in damage potential?
In ten years you'd think say a light torpedo would do 800 damage.

WCKS manual says damage points are expressed in tenths of centimeters durasteel penetration.

What are you talking about?

IIRC, the Lance torpedo does 800cm of damage and the other missiles do between 10 and 80.

You have to add one more zero to all those numbers.
biggrin.gif

Yet in Propecy torpedoes do between 80 and 200, why the sudden drop in damage potential?
In ten years you'd think say a light torpedo would do 800 damage.

That's exactly how much damage it does.
smile.gif

The torpedo in WC3 has an 8,000 penetration.

The torpedo in WC4 has 2,000 penetration.

The light torp in Prophecy has 800 penetration, and later 1,000.

The heavy torp in WCP has 1,600 penetration and later 2,000.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Last edited by a moderator:
No Lance has 8000 damage points=800 cm durasteel peroid.

If the torpedoes did increase strength then rest of the missles would be ten times more powerfull.

No Lance has 8000 damage points=800 cm durasteel peroid.

I know that's how it's explained in the KS manual, but it's obviously wrong (unlike the length of the Kilrathi Dreadnought
smile.gif
). If it has only 800 cm penetration how would one torp destroy a Kilrathi destroyer in WC3 with 2,000cm worth of durasteel, and 1,000 of armor IIRC. Also, how would one DF missile be enough to destroy a fighter with one hit, if it only penetrates through 80cm of the shields and armor?

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

In a situation like this belive the manual. If the manual says 8000 then it's 8000. If the manual says 80 then it's 80.
Have a nice day
smile.gif

------------------
Aide to politician: "Are you sure you want to go ahead with this ban on smoking in eateries?
It'll put you in a no-win situation.
Either way smokers end up fuming in restaurants."
The Politician by David Fletcher.

[This message has been edited by Penguin (edited February 07, 2000).]

But it doesen't make much sense when a DF missile that suposedly has a penetration of 80 cm can get through more than 500 cm of shields and armor.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Gen. Patton

I'm assuming that the damage potential was increased for WC3 to remedy the paper thin ratings in WC1.

What the manual says apparently is canon so the values do apply but who knows to what. Neuton gun stats, ship stats and loadout, now I just found a copy and paste error in the mission type guide.

If the values are disputable then that deystroys what we call canon and we can't have that.

Weren't you the one saying that even though the WC3 and KS manual say the Dreadnought has a lenght of 22km, it doesen't mean that's true?

Kalkrath, maybe you're right. The stats of the damage potential in the KS manual can be for WC1, and WC2.

------------------
Gen. Patton

I thought the WC1 values were always one tenth what they should be, especially in maneuverability of the Rapier, for instance y/p/r: 10dps when it does a 360 in about 3 sec.
smile.gif

Again, I'm not saying I don't believe the values, but the question is when do they apply. They sure can't be true throughout the entire Kilrathi Saga.

I don't know what should the exact y/p/r rates be for WC1 and WC2 (along with Priv, Armada and Academy). They can't be about 8 dps, but the shields and armor are correct. In the KS manual there's a short story about Confed finding new material for armor on Ghora Kar.

Let's use the Kilrathi Dreadnought as an example. We're told that it's 22km long in VS, KS manual and in FC. We have three official sources that confirm that. Meanwhile, IIRC the explenation for penetration of weapons, like the one in KS isn't in any other guides or manual.

------------------
Gen. Patton

Yeah... hmmm taking 40+ seconds doing a complete roll doesn't seem quite right now does it
smile.gif

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Hmm... Actually, for a real spacecraft, it does make sense. But then, we're not talking about real spacecraft
smile.gif
. _Our_ spaceships are far more advanced than anything these 20th century humans can come up with
smile.gif

Such manual "errors" are easily explained away in the canon.. They're not discontinuities.. editors in the fictional universe simply made a mistake. The editor of the WC1 documentation wasn't smoking crack, the editor of Claw Marks was. And that's not the only way to justify it.. damage ratings on missiles? How do we know for sure that we use the exact same dumbfire in the WC3 game that's references in the Victory Streak? We know there's a billion different missile versions..

Chris: That's right, just blame it on fictional characters
smile.gif

Chris always blames things on fictional characters (so does LOAF actually
biggrin.gif
) but if there's a problem we can just blame everything on Delance
smile.gif

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC