We might actually make it ...

http://www.b5mg.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000023.html
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
What the...?

Oh, I get it. Thanks for the link buddy.

(That board has ranks, hmmm...
biggrin.gif
)

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

[This message has been edited by klaus (edited January 27, 2000).]

Let's just say, that we've been busy saving our dream game for the last 4 months after Sierra canned it.

What would you have said if Origin cancelled Prophecy and said that "it does not have what it takes to be a success"?

You'd feel betrayed, then get angry, and want to turn the table around.

We've been trying so very, very hard to make that happen. It took literally thousands of e-mails and a lot of publicity. The Codemasters is apparently on the verge of getting the deal through with Sierra (Warner is okay with it).

/me keeps fingers crossed so tight they hurt

Ahh, they did that with Privateer III... and Wing 6 -- but those were in much earlier stages of design. I completely sympathize with you B5 people...

If a CICStaffient who can do updates is out there, update about the B5 thing one more time.

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
( loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

Hm, never bothered to look at any reviews of that game, but I've seen one just few minutes ago, and WOW. It won't replace WC but it could be second. Being able to command capships and still fly fighters, command flets. If they can put all of the featurese they're talking about I hope they do make it.
smile.gif

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

for those interested in reviving B5into the fire, send revival email(no spams, etc) to

kenp@codemasters.com

hopefully this will sustain us 'till origin makes up its mind, or tells us for sure what the true future of WC is.

thank you.

maybe it just seems like it is taking too long. how long did we go between the earlier wc games? i don't remember their release dates.

There were some fairly large gaps, the most notable being the two years or so between WC 2 and WC 3. Mind you, during that break, we also got Academy and Armada.

At any rate, it should be pointed out that you don't make a persistent, online world for thousands of players overnight. And don't bother comparing this to UO, because UO was a totally different system. In fact, Ultima lent itself very well to the concept, because it was already a complete world, and it had a good system for player development.
WC, on the other hand, does not lend itself very well at all.
At this stage, you will all yell "Come on, WC could be a great multiplayer game!". Don't worry. I agree. It could be great. But think of all the issues that have to be resolved first.

Take distance, for example. The vast distances were solved in WC with the autopilot function. Well, guess what? You can't do that here. Autopilot skips time, and that would totally mess up a multiplayer game. Hyperspeed? Great, but it's not WC-esque. Have players fly the huge distances manually? What and make them pay for the connection times when all they do is sit there for half an hour watching space dust fly by? Reduce distances? You want several thousand users. If you reduce distances, they just won't fit. Not to mention that that would also not be WC-esque
smile.gif

And distance is probably one of the simpler problems faced by the POL design team. Have patience. One day, we will see POL, but that's a long way off.

Well distances were small in WC1, WC2 and Privateer so it would be WC'ish. They could use the system from P2 where you jump between navpoints. They could include a booster engine or something, that would be standard for all fighters, you could use it to go at incredible speeds from navpoint to navpoint but then it would have to recharge for a few minutes.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Ummm... distances were still too far in the games you mentioned for an online game... When you build a game you design it so people don't have to sit there for very long. It still takes 5 to 10 minutes (depending on where in the game) to get between NAV points. People would quickly get bored and quit.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

They could also use those jump gates from P2, where you could jump great distances for a fee...

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

Well, wouldn't a boster engine like I mentioned work? It wouldn't be like jumping in P2 which could be somewhat strange, since that one is still at least 100 years in the future (assuming that it takes place at about the same time as Prophecy).

------------------
Gen. Patton

Yeah, but the boosters are also non-WCish... (It's like using hyperspace...) It's an idea but it's still not quite right...

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

*Ahem*...

Did they mention the time frame for POL? In the Kilrathi war just like P1 or in the time frame of the Nephilim war?

------------------

[This message has been edited by klaus (edited January 28, 2000).]

Klaus- nope, Origin didn't officialy say anything about POL.

TC- the Wasp uses a booster so it won't be anything new, there could be one that runs on energy like AB in P1. It would have to be faster than Wasps booster though.

------------------
Gen. Patton

It would be a large stretch... The wasp took a huge booster pack that actually modified it's maneuverability depending on whether it had been used or not... To use this would cause some problems

a) you could run from a fight too easily. In WC they have always made it difficult to get away, with a booster you could too easily go... "Oh my, I'm going to get creamed" and run away. It should be harder than that...

b) There would have to be a distance limit, how far should you be able to go... and then how long should it take to recharge to keep it from making a huge difference in the way things work in WC...

Just some concerns
smile.gif

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

There you go then
smile.gif
. And this is probably the reason why they don't tell us anything about POL
smile.gif

As for boosters, note that the Wasp was said to be the fastest spacecraft _ever_, and it still travelled at a mere 2400 (I could be wrong here), and that was for a minute or so. A larger craft would, naturally, be able to carry more fuel or supply enough energy not to need fuel, but the problem of speed would remain - particularly since any such vessel would have to be slower than the Wasp. 2400 is still very little when you travel such distances as there were in WCP (often a few hundred thousand klicks).

I'm the reason they don't tell us about POL???
smile.gif

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

It's actualy 3000 klicks. What if it's few years after Prophecy, and Confed uses something similar to what the Squid has. They can travel on their booster as many times as they want to and they travel at 2400. And the Wasp is a realy small fighter, a comercial fighter with a cargo bay would be larger, much larger than the Wasp. Anyway, whatever Origin comes up with, I'm sure it'll work great.
smile.gif

------------------
Gen. Patton

Back