WC's best fighter and bomber of all time

Best Bomber- Black Devastator: Plasma Cannon, Torpedos.

Best Fighter- Black Devastator or Black Wasp: Mesquitos, Dust Cannon (Blk Wasp), Turrents (Blk Devasator)

I think Blk Devastator has 90 (OMG) Mesquito missles.

The fighters all have ordinary numbers of the locking missiles... but lots and lots of Dumb Fire rockets (like in Prophecy and Secret Ops).

and privateer with those proton torpedos!

Incedentally, you are all going to think I'm nuts for this but:

My favorite flying ship in all of WC is the tarsus from privateer 1

not because its special in any way, but because it turns so slowly that you can make very precision shots with proton torpedos. 3 torpedos will smoke just about any fighter in the game.

I get creamed in anything with a larger front profile. I can survive a head-on assault in a tarsus.

Apparently Arena doesn't have *that* many more rockets than Secret Ops -- the max is 100 on some of the bombers.

Best fighters:
WC2 Rapier - a well balanced medium fighter that has a cool "80's sci-fi movie look";)
(the Arena Rapier also looks pretty good)
Centurion - kick ass ship, better than most Confed and Kilrathi fighters. My best WC ship.
Armada/WC3/WC4 Dralthi - I just like the design

Best Bomber:
I dodn't like flying bombers but if I had to pick my favorite, I'd take the Broadsword because it looks cool, like the WW2 bombers.

My favorite flying ship in all of WC is the tarsus from privateer 1
I like the Tarsus because it has "Millenium Falcon - piece of junk" feel ;)

Lots of dumb fire missiles = fun. One of the great gameplay decisions on WCP.

I wasn't too crazy about them, but in the right situation they were great. I only liked to use them against corvettes and turrets. The combination of a load of rapid-fire DF rockets, good speed and charging mass drivers made the Tigershark an excellent Wild Weasel.

I wasn't too crazy about them, but in the right situation they were great. I only liked to use them against corvettes and turrets. The combination of a load of rapid-fire DF rockets, good speed and charging mass drivers made the Tigershark an excellent Wild Weasel.

The rockets on WCP and WCSO can also be used to deflect incoming fire if you are low on shields and facing a nasty bug.

I hated in the heat of combat I would be ripple firing rockets at a target then start unloading my guns and seeing explosions thinking I was kicking the crap out of a target only to realize it was me shooting my own rockets out of the sky...oh the troubles of youth...

I really like how most, if not all flyable craft in WCP/SO have something very cool and effective... I mean, all ships are fun to fly and deadly, too.

The Piranha has the Stormfire, the Tigershark has lots of rockets and the Charged Mass Driver, the Wasp is all fun, and so on. I think they've struck a better balance than other games.

Not really a great revelation as far as choices go, but I'd suggest:

Best bomber: Devastator - simply because it has the only gun that can damage the 'only-vulnerable-to-torpedoes' capships.

Best fighter: The Dragon - as people have said, it was created to perform every role and was obviously too expensive for Confed to mass produce. So basically, they'll never design another fighter like it, making it the ultimate expression of space combat prowess. It's the Bugatti Veyron of starfighters.

Plus, it makes the coolest computer game sound effect ever when you engage the fission cannons. :D

Best fighter: The Dragon - as people have said, it was created to perform every role and was obviously too expensive for Confed to mass produce. So basically, they'll never design another fighter like it, making it the ultimate expression of space combat prowess. It's the Bugatti Veyron of starfighters.

As I pointed out higher in the thread, the modern Vampire fighter exceeds the Dragon/Lance's stats in most ways, except armor/shielding. And there may yet be Dragon fighters that are still active in Confed.

As I pointed out higher in the thread, the modern Vampire fighter exceeds the Dragon/Lance's stats in most ways, except armor/shielding. And there may yet be Dragon fighters that are still active in Confed.

True, there would have been little reason to decommission the ones they had. It's just unlikely they would have built more.

Also, not to be pedantic, but the Vampire can't carry torpedoes or flashpaks, just going back to the multi-role advantage of the Dragon.

I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference. Most people seem to prefer the Rapier to the Raptor, but I personally like the extra punch of the heavier ship. Also, I think it looks way better. :)

Though, my favourite ship looks-wise is... umm... the Scimitar. Ahem. :eek:

Back