WCPedia: Categories and other things

I'd really like to hear from somebody about what sort of format we should use for the timeline. There is a lot of work I'd like to do but I can't do it until we have the timeline format worked out.

The timeline should have three tiers:

One - a timeline index, which consists of a list of links to years (2654, 2655, 2656, etc.) plus events which are not specific (ie, "2.4 billion years ago"). This page could also include some 'boundries' between the years (ie, TERRAN-KILRATHI WAR STARTS, TERRAN-KILRATHI WAR ENDS).

Two - a page for each individual year, where events are known. These work the same way, with links to individual days mixed with "that year" events positioned in proximity wherever possible. There would also be a listing of 'that year' events above or below the index for items which can't be placed any closer than a particular year.

Three - a page for individual days. Although you noted above that this seems like overkill, it is actually important in some particular instances -- especially 2654, where we have detailed day-by-day information for a *lot* of sources (Wing Commander I, Secret Missions, Super Wing Commander, the Wing Commander I & II Ultimate Strategy Guide, the Wing Commander movie, the movie novelization, Wing Commander Academy, Pilgrim Stars... plus many, many callbacks to this specific period of time in other places.) It also makes the 'proximity' events easier to place/understand on the year pages.

I'm wondering how much detail we should go into in each of the pages. Should all of the information from each of the individual day pages go into the year page, or just a summary? If it's a summary, I imagine it'd be like "so-and-so flew a blah-blah mission".

I've been going through and cleaning up some of the categories. We had Bases in two places (Bases and Installations, which I've kept and buried in Stellar Cartography which I removed the bases category from)

The Ships category is a bit of a mess. We've got multiple ways of organizing ships and not all have been organized fully. How should we approach this matter?

Here's one for you. How do we organise weapons and equipment? Should we link weapons as a subcategory of equipment? or should we link individual weapon articles to the equipment page? at the moment with stuff like missiles I've been linking types of missiles eg IFF, Image recognition, heatseaker etc rather than linking Javelin HS to the equipment page.

There is already a Weapons category with Guns and Missiles. Link them there.

Only Equipment should go on the Equipment page.

Explore the root category page before creating new subcategories and the like. Otherwise, things will get buried and we could end up with multiple entries for the same thing. We also don't need the subcategory created in multiple categories. Like now I see that the main Weapons category is linked in Equipment and Technology. I don't think this is necessary.

Also, make sure to look at the Recent Changes page. I've gone ahead and removed some of the empty pages that have been created, but make sure to preview your work before saving, that way we don't create unnecessary pages.

I highly recommend you come to the next IRC meeting. These are the type of things we are in the process of working out.

Back