Wcp/so Med

Jason_Ryock

Vice Admiral
So has anyone actually tried using the Mission Editor? I have, I haven't had any problems with it when using it to edit Mission Files, but I haven't be able to edit SRS files or create them.

What's worse, files created with WCP are not compatible with MED. So if you use WCP to layout a series file, you can't use MED to make the missions - I get errors everytime I try to use the files together in WCSO.

There's two versions of MED isn't there? Are you using the Secret ops MED for SO missions? Because it's my understanding that if you use the MED from the prophecy disk it won't work for Secret ops.

Yeah, I broke them both out but it doesn't matter. I can use the editors to edit the game files themselves, but nothing that's associated with WCP. This is probably to be expected. The two programs use different methods to get to the final conclusion and probably can't interpret each other.

What was NOT expected was that these files would not work together in Secret Ops. Nor, I think, the dis functionality of the SRS Editing options in MED, as I've been able to get it to work properly.

I have no idea if this will work, but did you notice all the .def files in med's directory, and other med configuration files. Maybe if you look at some of med's configuration files, and try to edit them it might help.

when'd this get released? I just checked the front page for news of this and came up with nothing, where can I get this?

I've tinkered with it a bit.....but it seems to be having trouble after you make the mission and saveit to actually use the mission in game it freezes up.....even editing and saving it freezes up.

I didn't have that problem at first, I was able to change the Cerberus to the Midway without incident, as long as I use it with Vanilla WCSO. But if I try to use it - even just an edited mission - with the same filenames and just a tweaked EXE and SRS file, it crashes everytime.

I think he is referring to an installation without mods, tweaks, or hacks.

Yup - a plain install with nothing else in the WCSO directory, no additional files, nothing modified, nothing changed, no patches installed.

Though I think I may have been using the WCSO High Res Patch at the time, I could be wrong.

I had a fear for this,

Take a car engine, have some greasemonkeys tweak the hell out of it physically, and then interface with the original tools expecting a factory version and attempt to chip-tune it...

With the work standoff has done on the code, crossing it's original engine limits there is simply no way the original design tools could understand the missions.

Best start from scratch on your missions and designs, and apply the hacks or adress the limits in a later stage....

Best start from scratch on your missions and designs, and apply the hacks or adress the limits in a later stage....

It's not that simple - because the MED tool requires a WCP SRS file, you have to use all WCP. So basically, while the tool is pretty and interesting, it doesn't change the way we can build mods or missions.

I had a fear for this,

Last night I tried this, Removed the old SO stuff, and did a fresh install no patches no nada and tested out a mission....it worked fine :) Of course I backed up all the WC:CD Stuff before I started all the removing :) ...i'm having trouble adding ships which is strange but I'm able to edit certain ship types , like fighters with no problem....

Ah, well, I'd hate to revive a dead thread but it IS Possible to add new files (and delete them) from an existing SRS file....

....simply by using the INSERT and DELETE keys.

What have you been having trouble with? The only thing holding me up was not knowing how to create a new SRS file with my own mission names, but now that I know how to do that I don't see any problems using MED to layout a whole campaign.

Back