WCP Sam damn video problem that alot of people are having..

AnthonyM

Spaceman
I have read 100 times at least in these boards about the movie skipping along way to fast problems and i am one of the many who also has this dumb retarted problem. As usual , EA does another fine job of quality control. I tried turning DX sound acceleration to basic , turning it off , turning it to standard...nothing...i tried software for video , i tried lowering my cache speed on my cd-rom..nothing works..i then eliminated the cd player by downloading the full demo and movies and still i get the same fast skipping problem.I even turned off hardware video accel and nothing. I am using a GTS pro , an AMD 1100 , 640 megs of PC133 and a Sound Blaster Live card. The only thing i can't try is this Duplex setting which i am pretty sure is not available to set when using a live { i think it's always set to full} Either way there is no place that i can find to adjust this setting anyways. It is not in the system properties , Multimedia tab. I guess I am shit outta luck here...thank God i still have to play Freespace1&2 and Star Wars X-WING Alliance. I would bet my last dollar that those games run perfectly well...Origin and EA had nothing to do with them. Sorry i am just very frustrated right now and i doubt anyone has anythin further to add to help me solve this stupid ass problem.Has anyone solved this problem in a different manner?

[Edited by AnthonyM on 04-15-2001 at 19:03]

There are some compartiblities issue with SBLive cards and VIA chipset's 686A and 686B. supposely they are working on it.

Originally posted by AnthonyM
The only thing i can't try is this Duplex setting which i am pretty sure is not available to set when using a live
Here's the normal procedure for disabling full duplex :

Using Start or My Computer locate and open Control Panel
Open the System applet
Select the Device Manager Tab
Find the entry for Sound, Video and Game Controllers and double click to expand it
Select your sound card entry and expand it.
Select the Settings tab and check (tick) the full duplex box if it is there.

But you're right, I have a Live Value, and it doesn't seem like the option exists. You should probably direct your anger towards Creative Labs instead of EA.

Here's an idea... search the registry for 'duplex'. There's a value called "FullDuplex" which is set to "Full Duplex" and one called "HalfDuplex" which is set to "Half Duplex". Maybe you could try setting the "FullDuplex" value to "Half Duplex" too. Try at your own risk.

Thanks for the ideas guys! I am not really angry at anyone , i am just real disappointed that i can't play the game the way it was meant to be played. I will try to search out the Duplex string in the registry and alter it..i will of course first back up the registry :) Are we reasonably sure that it is a sound card issue that screws up these movies and not an Nvidia video card issue? I already have eliminated the cd-rom so it only leaves sound and video. I will try this first then maybe get a different sound card to try the game with.

LOL!!! Man am i a moron :) No i figured i would cry and complain here and just THINK i tried everything first :) Good idea , again. I will try both of these methoeds to see if it effects the way the video plays.Thanks again..i will report back later tonite so you guys know what to tell other people who have a similar computer setup and video skipping problem that i am having. I love the Wing Commander universe , i desperately want to play this game , i think it would suck if i have to disable the video's.

Oh well , the game will not start without the card enabled . I even uninstalled the card and drivers but i get an error message from the game basically telling me that i don't have a sound card. I also searched the registry and whole computer for Duplex settings , alas there was none to be found. I am gonna go to Compusa and buy a cheap 30.00 sound card and try it out tomorrow. Thanks anyway...I'll let you know how i make out.

[Edited by AnthonyM on 04-16-2001 at 18:37]

Back