WCP Movie Fix for VIA Chipset 686A-B

Johnl12

Repairman
WCP Movie Fix for VIA Chipset 686A-B and SBLive

I just figure out how to stop the movie from jumping. I am writing this procedure and will post it in a couple of days. This fix should be consider use at your own risk!

Well hurry up and post it!! Can some people please take the time and answer this for me...

Does anyone here use an Amd VIA chipset and have no problems with the movies?

Does anyone here use the SBL cards and have no problems with the movies?

Does anyone use a GTS based video card and have no problems with the movies?

Does anyone use Windows ME and have no problems with the movies?

How about a combo of all the above?

I am trying to narrow down this problem..i have talked to 3 or 4 other people who don't even know of this bbs and they all have this problem. Pretty shocking to me that so many have this problem.

[Edited by AnthonyM on 04-17-2001 at 05:53]

All I had to do was disabling sound card acceleration through DX Diag. Here's my setup:

Abit KT7A with VIA 686B
Live Value
Riva TNT
DirectX 8.0
Windows ME

FWIW, Hades and I both think it's DirectX that's to blame.

Back to the top :) I would really like a few of you guys from this large community to answer the questions below so we can put this issue to rest once and for all. I bought another sound card today to try tonite but i would like to know if WIN-ME or DX8 OR DX7 OR MAYBE VIA chipsets is the real cause of this problem..Hopefully a few of you guys can take a minute to answer this..TIA

Wow u posted that while i was posting the previous message. Thanks for the input...if it's a DX issue then why didn't disabling DX Sound acceleration work for me?? I tried all the settings ..basic.. etc and it still skipped like crazy. Kris can i play the game without the movies and still follow along and enjoy it? I would assume no..

Oh and John , the guy who started this thread...why take a few days to post the info? Type it out now and i will try it immediately and report right back here..

[Edited by AnthonyM on 04-17-2001 at 15:00]

No, not really. You probably need a plot, unless you enjoyed Freespace. Then you're fine :)

As for the VIA 686B thing, there's no way that's screwing up Prophecy. The 686B is a South Bridge, so you can pretty much forget about that. It's just a Direct X thing.

Also, yeah, VIA chipsets do suck ass like no other. You are better off avoiding them all together, even if they're not to blame for this thing.

Hmm, in all cases we've encountered here and on agwc so far, setting the "Hardware Sound Acceleration Level" to "No acceleration" in DXDIAG has always fixed the problem. Make sure you have the very latest Soundblaster drivers.

Well it's enough to make me sick...my SBL Gamer 5.1 card can't play this games video's but the 19.99 card i picked up from Compusa did just fine..i will keep this card in until i beat this game.. Thanks to all who tried to help.I appreciate it.

Or you could buy a $100 Pentium 100 and a $25 Voodoo 1 board so you could play any WC game, any time, forever more.

Now before I start please remembers that you are using this procedure at your own risk. This fix is base on VIA 686A-B Chipsets, Win98, DirectX 8.0 and SBLive. This might work with other VIA Chipset. Make sure you read the readme.htm after extract the "via_pci_latency_v010.zip" PCI Latency patch for VIA Chipsets. Note: The movie still skips a little, but there is a noticeable improvement.

My system:
Abit KT7-100 Raid Chipset KT133 686A version 4.29v
AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 900 MHz
Award Software Version YH - 2001/02/1
< Operating System >
Windows: 4.10 (Build 1998)
DOS: 7.10
DirectX 8.0a 4.08.00.0400
Creative Labs SB Live Platinum - LiveWare 3.0

Download and install these files. Make sure you restart your PC afterwards.

http://www.clok.creaf.com/creative/drivers/sbpci/sblw9xup.exe ---SBLive update driver for Win9x Dated 050500. This files is one of the top ten downloads at CL Europe site.
http://www.viahardware.com/download/george/via_pci_latency_v010.zip ----The new VIA PCI Latency patch for VIA Chipsets 686B Chipsets.
http://www.tweakfiles.com/allinone/directcontrol.html A utility to manage DirectX easier.

I also suggest getting the latest Bios update from your MB manufacture. Also, get the latest Via 4in1 Driver Update at http://www.via.com.tw/. The current version is 4.29.

Run the DirectControl from the Start > Programs > DirectControl. You now have a circle X icon in the Systray. Right chick on it. First go to Settings > Set DirectX Tool Path. Set it to C:\Windows\Systems. Next Disable DirectSound3D and under DirectSound disable Hard Acceleration and Enable DirectSound Safe Mode. (Optional setting: DirectPlay > Enable Break on Assert. I haven't decided if it plays better with this setting.)

Now go to the Start > Settings > Control Panel > Multimedia. Under Playback choose Advance Properties button > Performance tab. Make sure the Hard Acceleration is off. You should be able to play the game now. The movie is still a little jump but it should be a great improvement.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 04-18-2001 at 03:13]

Know what. Even though the movie doesn't skip as much it still sucks. I am thinking about installing my old AudioPCI card. From everything I've read lately about the SBLive it just sucks. Has anyone tried the new Santa Cruz sound card yet. I wonder how it handles WCP and P1.

Wow I just notice I got promoted.

[Edited by Johnl12 on 04-18-2001 at 18:58]

It is without a doubt the sound card..i put in a 19.99 vanilla I/O Magic sound card and took out my SBL! card and the game plays perfectly fine.

Originally posted by Johnl12
Now before I start please remembers that you are using this procedure at your own risk. This fix is base on VIA 686A-B Chipsets, Win98, DirectX 8.0 and SBLive
I still don't see anything that would relate to the 686 South Bridge. If VIA is at fault, the problem would lie in the North Bridge (i.e. the VIA Apollo KT133A).

Still, in almost every case disabling hardware acceleration through dxdiag fixes the problem.

Back