WCP Install issue with Vista SP1

firehorse

Spaceman
Hi folks, it's been awhile, but I decided to dust off some of the WC games and give them a go on my new machine. As you can see from the title I am having problems with the install on Vista. Issue is I run the installer from the CD (I tried a working copy I was using and the original same result) and I get the config screen listing the requirements, when I click bext I get the following error;

A problem has occured while copying files from the Wing Commander Phrophecy CD to the hard hrive. Please check the CD for dust, dirt, and fingerprints & try again.

(\install.iff)

I of course did the obvious first, the CD's look fine, and I am able to copy the entire contents to a folder on my HD, I still get the same error when running the Setup.exe from the HDD so I am suspecting it may be the SP1 for vista that is my problem. Any idea's???

This is the Original WCP, (not gold) and I have tried compatibility mode for the installer (Win 95 & 98).

I might setup a seperate drive with XP Pro and boot to it if I have to, however that is allot of work so I figured I would check here first.

I would eventually like to run WCIII, WCIV, Prophecy, and Special Ops all from my HDD without swapping CD's. however I need to get Prophecy running first.

With Vista SP1 being so new, there's not really a lot of data on any general incompatibilities yet. Make sure you've set compatibility mode on the installer, even on the CD, before you install.

You can do a manual installation by copying the files below, applying the max install registry patch from our files section and then creating the cfg file.

audio.tre
data.tre
genifr.tre
gf.tre
gl_0002.dll (Install directory on CD #1)
gl_0005.dll (Install directory on CD #1)
gl_0006.dll (Install directory on CD #1)
install.iff
language.iff
language.tre
launcher.exe (Install directory on CD #1)
maximum.cfg (Install directory on CD #1)
movies.tre
music.tre (CD #2)
programs.cfg (Install directory on CD #1)
prophecy.exe (Install directory on CD #1)
special.tre
speech.tre
speech1.tre
speech2.tre (CD #2)
speech3.tre (CD #3)
uninstal.exe (Install directory on CD #1)

The prophecy.cfg file is both powerful and easy to use. Three steps are needed for proper operation. Because of the nature of this process, it is recommended that the game be installed into a relatively simple directory structure. C:\PROPHECY is recommended.

Step One - Creation of a prophecy.cfg file

The prophecy.cfg file is nothing more than a simple text file located in the directory Wing Commander: Prophecy is installed into. Edit the file, such that the name is prophecy.cfg.
Check the file, and add the following switches, based on your needs. Remember that each switch is case sensitive.

installDirectory=<customer hard drive directory>

Replace <customer hard drive directory> with the full path to the customers installed directory. (Ex. installDirectory=C:\Prophecy)
cdDirectory=<customer cd drive>

Replace <customer cd drive> with the full path to the customers installed directory. (Ex. cdDirectory=D:\)
rasterMajor=x

Specifies what graphics rasterizer to use. Replace "2" for 3Dfx, and "6" for software.
useDirectSound=0

Turns off all sound.
useStreamer=0

Turns off all music. If the user is getting "streamer" crashes, this may provide a workaround.
Step Two - Creation of a run.bat file

Once the .cfg file is successfully created, the game must be "told" to use it. The simplest way to accomplish this is to create a run.bat file in the customers installed directory. The file need only contain the following line:

prophecy.exe @prophecy.cfg

This instructs the exe file to look at the .cfg file before running.

Step Three - Run it!

From now on, simply instruct users to use the run.bat file, rather than prophecy.exe. You are done!

Back