WCP Crashing

P

PattyMan2001

Hey all, I have a problem with WCP, the game runs great, with the HiRez patch installed, and the WinXP Vid fix, looks and runs great, I love playing this game again. Trouble is, I'm at the point, after the mission where Dallas Dies, it askes for Disk two, I put it in, the long cutscen plays, then i get an error about something like "Mouse.iff coultnd be found" or something like that. Like its looking for a file on a CD thats not in the drive, when it is. Then ofcorse it hasnt Autosaved yet so I'm stuck at that mission.

Sys Specs:

AMD XP 2500+
1gb Ram
eVGA GF6800GT 256mb
MSI CDRW
MSI DVD
WinXP Home SP1

It would help a lot if you told us the *exact* error message. Are you sure it's mouse.iff? Do you have the small, medium or large installation set up? Is your disc dirty or scratched?

When it asks you to swap discs, try putting the second disc in, closing the tray and then hitting Control+Escape, opening up My Computer and hitting F5. This should cause Windows to acknowledge the new disc. Switch back to Prophecy and see if the second disc properly loads.

I would assume that the disk is recognised, when I put the disk in and Click "COntinue" it playes the cutscen when Casy gets in a fight with Maniac, and its after the cutscen when it crashes. After the crash when I go to My Computer it shows that I have WCP Disk 2 in the drive. Its a Full install. I just wonder if it may have something to do with haveing 2 CD drives....I remember some older games haveing issues with multipule drives, you;d have to disable one in Windows and it would work.

"Fatal: Iff::Iff open file 'gameflow\mouse_f.iff' not found and not optional"

Thats the error that comes up. I tried disableing one of my CD drives, no go, Windows clearly finds the CD. No scratches or smudges, I can copy all files over to a HDD fine, so the CD is good. I'm not running any kind of Compat mode, never had a problem with it till now, would that help this problem at all???

PattyMan2001 said:
"Fatal: Iff::Iff open file 'gameflow\mouse_f.iff' not found and not optional"

Thats the error that comes up. I tried disableing one of my CD drives, no go, Windows clearly finds the CD. No scratches or smudges, I can copy all files over to a HDD fine, so the CD is good. I'm not running any kind of Compat mode, never had a problem with it till now, would that help this problem at all???

It's definitely worth trying. I couldnt even run secret ops without putting the compatability to either win95 or 98 for example.

Ok I think I figured out what the problem might have been, I backed up my save games, Un-Installed WCP, deleated the Dir. Then Re-Installed it, and only applyed the Video fix, and it worked fine. Still with out any compatability mode.

Now I have another issue with the 3DFX Wrapper, it'll launch into the game fine, runs great with the 3DFX effects, bit I get little blue flashing squares all over the place. Other then that it runs great, fogging and all that looks nice, more polished look.

Yeah, definitely turn compatibility mode for the game's main executable. Back in 1997 some people experienced similar problems if they had old DOS legacy CD-ROM drivers installed. You might have something similar getting in the way. I'd also uninstall everything, reinstall and try the game without the various patches you've applied.

PattyMan2001 said:
Now I have another issue with the 3DFX Wrapper, it'll launch into the game fine, runs great with the 3DFX effects, bit I get little blue flashing squares all over the place. Other then that it runs great, fogging and all that looks nice, more polished look.

Well, the wrapper is not the same as running an actual 3dfx card. Some problems may occur. You might try tweaking the amount of memory and such in the configurator. HCl is also working on an upgraded high res patch that works better with the 3dfx mode.

As Chris pointed out to me I had this problem two year back and frankly I don’t remember what I did to fix it and didn’t log the answer when I did. Please log it when you do find out. You’re right though it’s not a problem with the CD nor the CDRom.

For some reason I’m thinking it has something to do with the Direct x settings. Try playing with the speed there.

Chris, thats what I'm trying to say, that Re-Installing it, and only aplying the Video fix, without the HiRez patch fixed the problem, it now loads from the second CD just fine. It would seem that the HiRez patch messes with the files in such a way that it couldnt find that mouse_f.iff file and that was causeing the crash.

BTW with the 3DFX wrapper I get the squares with or without the HiRez patch installed, currently I havent installed it again...been afraid to... I'll try playing with the memory settings and see what comes up.

EDIT: None of the settings made a difference in 3DFX mode, guess I'll just wait for a new ver. Ot works fine in 3DFX except for the flashing squares which get anoying after a while...:p

Back