WCIV DVD Fixed Vobs

remi

Spaceman
Hello All !

I've recently discovered this cool WC community and it's great to see that
this universe is still alive and active, with many talented people contributing !

Anyway I made this for myself some time ago and I thought I'd share it.

Here are replacement vobs for the walking videos onboard the Lexington at the beginning of the game.
The original ones lacked sound for some reason, so I took the audio from the CD version
and put it back on.

Also 2 vob files had been swapped which caused an inconsistent path to and from the Officer's Lounge after the first mission. This is now fixed.

To use, copy the fixed VOB files in a "movie" directory in your WC4DVD folder.
Then use the "configure dxmci" link to set the alternate VOB path to that directory.

Or you can burn a "fixed" DVD after replacing the files in the "VOB" directory on the DVD.

Here's the link :
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OT2EQET8

Enjoy, and let me know if this works for you !
Remi

Hello great job on this, but the link is dead (megaupload got fried)
Could you reupload somewhere else.

Hey , why did I miss that ? Thanks buddy ,CIC should host this
I don't remember if we mentioned it in a news post or not, but it *is* something we had intended on doing. Even if stuff is mentioned on the CZ people should still send an email to news@ and let us know if there's something interesting.

It seems, this VOBs update isn't all, at least some errors in the original DVD version still exist:
  • sc_0340a - no sound for Catscratch's words after 0:00:27, when Maniac appears;
  • sc_5160a - too low volume;
  • sc_2470c - no sound at all;
  • sc_3460c - duplicated peace of sc_3460b in the beginning.

Yes I noticed the missing line in the Catscratch introduction, "OMG you're him" I think it is.
I considered fixing this as well, but in the end I didn't bother, since it's just one minor line.

The volume in 5160a seems fine to me, maybe a bit on the low side but no big deal IMO.

You're right about 2470c and 3460c though. I'll see if I can find some time to fix these.

Another one I intended to fix was SC_8000A... it's the first half of the "jumping to" video. It switches starfields at the very end. And since the VOBs sometimes stop for a split second while loading the the next vid, it makes it super noticable. Basically 8000A needs trimmed a few frames. Also there is no sound on 2900D and 2900E.

and don't forget the missing bearcat manufacturing scene, when you guys are at it ;)

That would be good... but it would still be limited to the low-res CD version of the video... Also, I'm trying to remember if it's actually been replaced on the DVD with something else or if it's missing all together.

Well, for anyone interested I did package up some of the missing scenes (ripped from the PSX version) here: http://download.wcnews.com/files/wing4/wc4_psx_video.zip

The ones that aren't the bearcat scene are the alternate briefings for the space versions of the Tyr missions since the PSX didn't have the ground missions.

Also, Looking at the DVD VOBs confirms my suspicions.. The scene in question with the bearcats is 2570A... It ends with the Intrepid jumping in. However the scene on the DVD starts with the intrepid jumping in but extends longer into the end of the scene where instead of cutting we follow the intrepid until it meets up with the borderworld fleet. Not sure why the fleet part was cut from the CD version but best option looks like it will be to combine the two vids. You might get a cleaner copy off the CD version of the scene mind you. but the difference in video quality is going to be noticable from the first half of the scene to the last.

I think it is better to have all missing scenes together in one game, in a different quality, than not having them at all ;)

Just in case can you also encode it in Mpeg2 please?
Unfortunately I can't. I don't know how to. :-( But if you are familiar with Avisynth I can share script for this movie so you can encode it into any format you want. It relatively simple:
Code:
LoadPlugin("D:\video\dgmpgdec\DGDecode.dll")
# .d2v is produced from sc_3630a.vob by dgindex.exe:
dvd = mpeg2source("T:\wc4dvd\d2v\sc_3630a.d2v")
# .avi is extracted from PSX version:
avisource( "T:\wc4dvd\psx\Sc_3630a.wve.avi" )
# process .avi:
killaudio()
convertbacktoyuy2()
converttoyv12()
# postprocessing for make PSX video compression artifacts less noticeable:
blindpp( 12, cpu=6, ipp=false )
# adjust frame:
crop( 12,0,-12,0)
# denoise:
Temporalsoften(3,5,5,mode=2,scenechange=10)
#Convolution3d("moviehq")
FluxSmoothST(7,7)
# more adjust frame:
spline64resize( 704,358)
addborders( 0, 62, 0, 60 )
#adjust framerate:
last.interleave( last )
assumefps( dvd )
trim( 3060,0)
psx=last

dvd + psx
Audio track (.wav, 48 kHz stereo 24-bit) is here: http://www.multiupload.nl/9TVGOS36UZ - for make .ac3 from it.
DivX... I can't remember if we made it so the game would recognize other file formats.
The simplest but workable method is to rename .avi into .vob and replace the original. More complicated and more stable is to patch dxmci.dll so it can handle files with different extensions.
Now, I make Russian subtitled translation of WC4: http://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4033753 - based of modified dxmci and Matroska media container, with english subtitles too. Perhaps in 3-4 months it will be ready. Welcome!

Audio track (.wav, 48 kHz stereo 24-bit) is here: http://www.multiupload.nl/9TVGOS36UZ - for make .ac3 from it.
The simplest but workable method is to rename .avi into .vob and replace the original. More complicated and more stable is to patch dxmci.dll so it can handle files with different extensions.
If we're talking about patching these into the GOG version then any alternate codec - even if you rename it VOB will make it possibly a problem. It probably isn't an issue add support for other extensions but at the moment I think it's simplest to encode it in mpeg2. If you don't think you can do it it's probably something I can handle, or the original poster.

Now, I make Russian subtitled translation of WC4: http://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4033753 - based of modified dxmci and Matroska media container, with english subtitles too. Perhaps in 3-4 months it will be ready. Welcome!

Awesome! You will have to let us know when you make progress and we can report this on the front page when it's ready. Is there a fairly active russian speaking fan-base that isn't regularly visiting us here? I know there used to be some wierd russian copy of the CIC for a while.

Also, are you recording all the audio yourself? IS there some other source you are using? I know I found it really wierd how many russian movie dubs have the russian speaker talking over the regular dialogue.[/quote]

I think it's simplest to encode it in mpeg2.
Sorry but I have no experience in MPEG2 and VOBs at all... :-(
Is there a fairly active russian speaking fan-base that isn't regularly visiting us here?
Hmm... I don't know such communities; there are few fans on www.old-games.ru but less than dozen people. :-(
are you recording all the audio yourself? {...} how many russian movie dubs have the russian speaker talking over the regular dialogue.
Oh, I born and grew up in pretty much rich country with very good dubbing studios, so I hate self-made "dubbings" and prefer subtitles. :)

Back