WC4 Tractor Beam Help

Falcon988

Commodore
This is making me angry. I need to tractor these MIPs in at the end of the mission, so I go in close, get them in the rear turret's sights, hit G, and then nothing happens. I see the tractor beam symbol at the right of the crosshairs but these dang MIPs never come onboard and it's driving me nuts.

Wish I could help, But I'm not too familiar with WC4 controls. It took me alot of practice just to work the tractor beam in WC2.
In most cases I would just leave my wingman lost in the void. Sitting on the edge of my seat, hoping the Major would question me about a distress signal.

You have to be VERY close. If you are in range bubbles appear around the mips IIRC. Then you have to 'gun them down' with the tractor beam. And yes - this can be quite tricky. Usually needs 3-4 tries for me to get into a good position.

Yea I figured it out... oddly enough being close didn't help, I had to be really far away and slowly track them in. I don't know what was up, I think it might have been some problem with my controls. You do have to do some juryrigging to play these games after all...

The same problems here, too...
I'm re-playing old good "Price of Freedom",
and Blair did rescue Sosa, but not before I re-flew the mission four times...
Very nasty glitch in game engine, I would guess...

Somehow tractor beams were awkward every time they appeared -- they were equally difficult to use in Wing Commander 2 and Privateer.

(So, there's a point for Arena -- easy to use tractor beams!)

Yea I figured it out... oddly enough being close didn't help, I had to be really far away and slowly track them in. I don't know what was up, I think it might have been some problem with my controls. You do have to do some juryrigging to play these games after all...

Ahh. I do remember having that particular problem before. Didn't even think about the distance from the pod.

Easy to use tractor beams sounds great. I heartedly agree with you LOAF that tractor beams have never be the easiest to use device in WC. Chasing cargo in Priv while trying to get it into the hold could be a real pain in the ass, especially if it was flying away quickly.

Personally I've never had a problem with the tractor besides in WC4 when having to pick up MIPs. So for me WC4 is by far the worst in that aspect.

I had issues with tractor spacing in WC2, but I liked how they worked in Privateer. There was kind of a funky bungee effect, but at least you could pretty much target and fire without worrying so much about distance and positioning.

Good day to everyone!
Sorry for being off topic, but the question is still WC-IV - related...

One very gray Mjav did watch a WC-IV video with 'wcplayer' and did find
on the sixth CD somewhat strange video...

It's the sixth disk, isn't it?
It's the end of story, am I mistaken?
It's looooooong five or six days after the Paulsen was murdered by Seether...

And there's a video, where Lexington (didn't I leech it badly to sit in docks for months?) catches the ejected BW pilots, and somewhat very alive captain Paulsen takes Blair captive and sends him away to be executed?

What would that video be?
Can anyone enlighten old fat stupid Mjav?
For he's starting to think that there some another branches of missions, and can't stop thinking of it.

Maybe it is like the Hobbes' funeral video in WCIII? lost in the game to never be seen?

It's looooooong five or six days after the Paulsen was murdered by Seether...

And there's a video, where Lexington (didn't I leech it badly to sit in docks for months?) catches the ejected BW pilots, and somewhat very alive captain Paulsen takes Blair captive and sends him away to be executed?

What would that video be?
Can anyone enlighten old fat stupid Mjav?
For he's starting to think that there some another branches of missions, and can't stop thinking of it.

Maybe it is like the Hobbes' funeral video in WCIII? lost in the game to never be seen?

This scene plays if you eject on the one or two missions between the time that blair defects (at the first opportunity) and the the mission where you need to destroy/leech the Lexington.

Back