WC4 on GOG.com?

Aeronautico

Rear Admiral
Hello, pilots. Been meaning to address something that's really been hanging over my mind lately. I know we're all aware that GOG.com now allows us to download Wing Commanders I, II, and III as of last year. I was thrilled with this news and was able to purchase Wing Commander III, which has always been one of my lifelong favorites.

So my question is, does anyone have any indication as to when Wing Commander IV will someday be available for purchase on GOG?

I realize adapting a 1996 game for a modern system is like navigating the surface of Kilrah. Still, having seen the first three become available online, especially considering that WCI is a game that goes back to 1990, I just had to ask what the prospects were for WCIV coming out eventually. Been dying for the chance to play that game as I never was able to get it back in the day. Is there anyone who can update me on this?

As far as the issue of actually making WCIV work on a 64-bit Windows 7 system, it shouldn't be substantially different from WCIII. The main issue AFAIK is whether GOG can get the rights to offer it at a price similar to that for WCIII.

GOG has everything they need to release WC4 tomorrow, and WC4 was part of their initial deal with EA... I really don't know why they're dragging their heels.

If a game from 1990 can run on clockwork like GOG and WCIV happens to be six years newer than that, then I'd hope that it'd come out soon with relatively little difficulty. I do hope GOG gets the rights to sell it soon. What is the big holdup?

AD already stated this two replies up.

GOG has everything they need to release WC4 tomorrow, and WC4 was part of their initial deal with EA... I really don't know why they're dragging their heels.

It presumably would be the DOS version of WC4, so it could be run via DOSBOX. I imagine the Windows version *would* be quite a bit harder to get to run on modern systems. A lot of those early Win95 games are devilishly hard to get to run on a modern 64-bit Windows 7 system. Specifically, I think it is challenging to get 16-bit Windows games to run...you can't use DOSBOX because they're windows, and you can't use Win7's compatibility mode, because that only works for 32-bit software. I don't recall if the Windows version of WC4 was 16-bit or 32-bit...

It presumably would be the DOS version of WC4, so it could be run via DOSBOX. I imagine the Windows version *would* be quite a bit harder to get to run on modern systems. A lot of those early Win95 games are devilishly hard to get to run on a modern 64-bit Windows 7 system. Specifically, I think it is challenging to get 16-bit Windows games to run...you can't use DOSBOX because they're windows, and you can't use Win7's compatibility mode, because that only works for 32-bit software. I don't recall if the Windows version of WC4 was 16-bit or 32-bit...

THat's just it though... We went through a lot of hoops to get them something that would run the windows version on modern PCs... They have *everything* they need.

Yes, HCl worked his magic (under a tight deadline!) to develop a beautiful patch that would allow GOG to release the DVD version of Wing Commander IV. And then the release date has slipped again and again and again... I have no idea when we're going to see it.

(It was originally supposed to be Thanksgiving.)

Back