WC4 Mod For Homeworld 2 In The Works (June 5, 2006)

From: Union of Border Worlds Office of Naval Intelligence
To: All Militia Captains

Class:
  • Vesuvius

Tactical Analysis:
  • Yup, we're screwed.

3891D8042DDC2C068ABAA9CADA42DAF60E497412

E112E10B286AAF04D1D5A4D126108EB1CB8BBDAE

Well, I just lived the bad end of Wing Commander III in that multi. Got my Confed ass kicked by the Cats. XD

OTOH, those Tallahassee are selling themselves hard against the Cats:

07C925E161B4C3577C9960B86F8440B250CB344C

I'll post within the hour a balance update to fix some stuff making the Kilrathi unecessarly OP... Confed fighters will be slightly buffed and Darket/Dralthi nerfed because they were spammed waaaaaay too easily. Fixed an issue with Paktahn balancing in the new bomber system and I'm live-testing a code that should make missiles priority targets for capships.

Edit: done, the code works just as required, and all Confed/Kilrathi warships will disregard all targets to fire at enemy missiles and torpedoes with their laser, missile and tachyon turrets while AMG batteries will keep firing on other targets. To compensate, the accuracy of anti-missile fire has been reduced to 20%.

Last edited:
On a roll now! Man, I have to brush up on my spacial awareness, I've always found HW a bit challenging.
Good luck, then!

As for the work on the mod, I'm getting progress on the AI but there's still some compatibility problems with the fuel system.

looks really good darker... and a Smart Kil always has a bit of fear of Sivar ;)

good .... GOOOOD :D lol Who's fearing gods now?

seriously tho really cool shit man!
As indicated, the missile swarm of doom has been a tad nerfed today. In addition, I just uploaded a basic AI for the Confed, Border Worlders and Kilrathi. The Black Lance are still not behaving as planned. Also, I reduced the collision sphere for the Confederation HQ to limit the issues with collectors and stuff around it.

Question for you, people: I've just had a chat with another dev and that made me realized there could be a pretty nifty speciality we could give to the Border Worlds. Right now, we have the Confed and Cats who are two different kind of steamrollers, the Black Lance will need some more units but are planned to be cloak and dagger masters, with some very, very nasty tricks being planned. But for our favourite underdogs, I was just thinking of capture tricks and stuff until something that might be more interesting, so tell me if you think that could fit the canon:

Border Worlds starships being able to entirely customize their weapon load.

All turrets have to be built as each ship starts with a standard turret load but you could sell them and build (for a price, of course) almost anything you want. You want your cruiser to be loaded with torpedo launchers for massive broadsides? Doable. You want to replace all base lasers with flak turrets? Or maybe missile launchers for massive area defence capabilities? A BW player in multi would be nigh-unpredictable. I don't think I would be able to make an AI that could use this to the full range of capabilities, but that problem would be partially solved by a decent standard load.

IMO, it would fit pretty well the theme of the UBW and could make everyone else way of them in MP.

Edit: here is an example of one of the new turrets that could be added.

E3BB1FCB0C7A8B7D4CB50CD2DDF76F8E5CB62B59

443746168003D1657DF95DEEE8C20E09B5E5927F

The size of the turret would probably be bigger in a final version.

4582574BF08C4A501890D5A93B1CE1FC2D3B6472

E2D85B34A9FE1C92E12E3521138250F04F4F18F7

Here, this carrier would be for example capable of firing heavy torpedoes on close range and long range interceptor missiles to defend itself and its fleet against Kilrathi cruise missiles.

91B56B0AC71408747E835D6EBB361BB5C71B7DF0

B5B6C70CAE5D7DC35E58CECCEEC8656CFF2A97A5

Last edited:
That's the idea. Less dedicated ships but multipurpose ones. A cruiser with a lot of VLS batteries (I made a subsystem with 36 vertical tubes too) could for example be a long-ranged missile defence support ship no-selling a Kilrathi raiding party's long-range missiles in a way no other ship in the game could hope to achieve. It opens the path for a decent number of strategies.

Back