WC4 Mod For Homeworld 2 In The Works (June 5, 2006)

I've run into a few real life issues that have laid claim to the time I would have used to work on the coding, so I haven't had the chance to look it over yet.

I hope to find the time to do it some time over the weekend though.

Still not dead, but I've managed to pick up a full time job since my last update, so my spare time is limited these days.

I never did get around to looking at that code, but here's something I've been working on these last few days:

bearcat01.png

bearcat02.png

As you can tell, the texture work is very preliminary with mostly placeholder assets taken from my old Excalibur model, and I still haven't modeled the wingtip guns. It always annoyed me that I'd never been able to find a decent quality Bearcat model, since even the original ingame model didn't properly reflect how the renders show it to look. They'd cropped off the back end of the engines, among others IIRC.

In other news, I may have found out what caused my Excalibur to render wrong ingame in HW2 with the new shaders. Most likely, it was a bug in the tool I used to get it ingame. I'll have to test it using another version of the tool to be sure, but I have to get around to re-installing the tools before I can test that, and they're not easy to get working on a modern system.

*edit* I will continue posting updates on the status of this model, and my Excalibur in a new thread, so I don't clutter up this old thread with it before I'm ready to show something ingame.

Intriguing: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/5232/t1719413-homeworld-2-rearm-mod/

Not sure if the name implies fighter now have finite weapons, but capship naming was added.

Okay, I have tried for hours to get the resource collector for Confed and the Black Lance (the Project) to carry debris. They just bump right into the debris and then sit there. I've tried replacing the collector model to the one used by the Border Worlds. I've tried using the collectors for the Border Worlds (after setting the motherships (ie stations) to allow for alien race docking) and that didn't work. I've even tried changing the mothership file for Confed to match up with that for the Border Worlds as much as I can without replacing the model. No luck at all.

PS I'm using czaren's last released version since the most recent version is encrypted.

Intriguing: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/5232/t1719413-homeworld-2-rearm-mod/

Not sure if the name implies fighter now have finite weapons, but capship naming was added.

Okay, I have tried for hours to get the resource collector for Confed and the Black Lance (the Project) to carry debris. They just bump right into the debris and then sit there. I've tried replacing the collector model to the one used by the Border Worlds. I've tried using the collectors for the Border Worlds (after setting the motherships (ie stations) to allow for alien race docking) and that didn't work. I've even tried changing the mothership file for Confed to match up with that for the Border Worlds as much as I can without replacing the model. No luck at all.

PS I'm using czaren's last released version since the most recent version is encrypted.

I've seen the moddb page and it doesn't look like the mod is using limited munitions, more like a new batch of weaponry for ships (and the capship naming thingie looks interesting). I'll download it when the moddb link finally works on my side and give it a try.

As for the resource collectors themselves, I really don't know enough to help here (I'm just able to work on weapon/subsystem coding and the such, but not on 3D models and their interaction ingame).

Gents, I am necro-ing this thread for an announcement:

As Homeworld Remastered has been released a few days ago on Steam, porting HW1, HW2 and, most importantly, a revamped version of both games in 4K resolution, remastered gameplay and other improvements... I have begun porting the Wing Commander mod to the Remastered engine.

C59D319C0B2E337F9F0C5FDCB093A1EAA254D4BF

C514DD12759BCFF245ADB5EDAA593216B8F34107

You'll notice that I have still quite a lot to do to get it working completely, but I'm doing my best to get everything operational as soon as possible for the mod to work under the new user interface and the changes in engine. More to come very soon. :)

In the meantime, I have uploaded the original mod and tinkered with it to work with the Steam version of Homeworld 2 Classic: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=399849926

And, of course, thanks to Aaron "czacen" Thomas, who did the original work for, well... everything.

Update: the three factions are now fully integrated and playable. I will upload the mod in the next 24 hours. It's still rough on the edges (no music/soundbytes yet and the icons are broken in a particularly hard to fix way).

I forgot how much I loved this original mod and helping Czacen with the early development.

I forgot how much I loved this original mod and helping Czacen with the early development.
I'm debugging some stuff right now. If you have the files for the icons, I would be forever grateful, because he stored them in a single grouped file in the original mod, and I don't know how to extract them (thus the missing icons in the current versions).

Hate to say I wasn't privy to tha tsort of thing. It was more him telling me to try something in multiplayer and see how it worked or what the bugs were. I didn't see any "raw" material.

Hate to say I wasn't privy to tha tsort of thing. It was more him telling me to try something in multiplayer and see how it worked or what the bugs were. I didn't see any "raw" material.
Well, the good news is that the mod for Remastered works in multiplayer, according to a user on Steam. If you add the command line "-mpbeta -mod WC4FC_Remastered.big", it apparently worked for that user who played two hours without crash with friends over the Beta multi. I'd be glad to have a game with some people here when I finish debugging the mod itself.

Can you imagine a multi game with carriers only? :)

Edit: YES! I just had the Black Lance units to work in Remastered!

Second Edit:

That's it, people, the new version of the mod is being uploaded as I type. I'll work on integrating czacen's AI for the Wing Commander factions during the week-end.

Changelog:
  • Black Lance faction now available
  • Research trees available for all three factions
  • Excalibur cap numbers bug fixed
  • Border Worlds faction fixed
Move the .big file to the Data folder then add the command line "-mpbeta -mod WC4FC_Remastered.big" to the shortcut to Homeworld Remastered, and you should be able to play in multi with the people who have the mod too. :)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=403171608

Last edited:
I had hopes you'd be doing this. this mod is excellent!
Glad you like it! And the mod is indeed excellent, so upgrading it to Remastered was one of the main reasons for me to buy Remastered in the first place.

Morning hotfixes: fixed a problem with the cap numbers for Excalibur, Longbow, Avenger and Dragon when using default or small cap numbers in a game (I was doing the check with large and huge, forgetting the two other settings), fixed the Confed Thunderbolt that was using the Longbow cap numbers, fixed the Border Worlds capship production facility that couldn't be built, removed a not-working UBW legacy unit from the HW2 Classic mode where the BW replaced the Vaygr.

In other news, a medium- to long-term goal would be to integrate the Kilrathi if possible to the mod. The thing is that I do not have the skills and knowledge to create the ship models, so if anyone is willing to share such models or to create them for the mod, please contact me. Thank you!

Great to see this resurrected, guys! Once it's all ported over, the obvious next step would be to start taking advantage of all those pretty new capabilities Gearbox has added to the engine like normal maps etc. Easier said than done, I know. :)

Version 0.95 of the mod online: the icons are here for all the ships. I'll add the subsystems' tomorrow morning and then start working on some AI for the Wing Commander factions.

I just bought/downloaded Homeworld. I hadn't played it when it first came out but plan on it soon! I can't wait to try out this mod! Keep up the good work, LIF!

Version 0.95 of the mod online: the icons are here for all the ships. I'll add the subsystems' tomorrow morning and then start working on some AI for the Wing Commander factions.

I.I.F. - Great work man. Really interested to check this out when it's near a complete state and I've finished the single player campaigns. I'm interested to know - what is involved with working on the AI? Without knowing how it all works, it sounds like a very complex thing to customise...Or does Homeworld use pre-built parameters or something that you can tweak to make things easier?

I just bought/downloaded Homeworld. I hadn't played it when it first came out but plan on it soon! I can't wait to try out this mod! Keep up the good work, LIF!
Thanks. What gets me quite excited is the multiplayer options. We should try to get a CIC Steam Group for these, it would make things easier to organize, I think.
I.I.F. - Great work man. Really interested to check this out when it's near a complete state and I've finished the single player campaigns. I'm interested to know - what is involved with working on the AI? Without knowing how it all works, it sounds like a very complex thing to customise...Or does Homeworld use pre-built parameters or something that you can tweak to make things easier?
It can be quite complex, but I'm trying to use czacen's files and port them while making them "cooperate" with the vanilla files. Everything is organized, and I need to be very methodical, though.

Back