WC4 DVD display trouble

Halgwet

Spaceman
I've managed to get my hands on the double-sided DVD WC4 and a Realmagic+ card, but I'm having a bit of trouble getting them to work.

I'm running windows XP, so I downloaded these drivers and installed them with the card. After that the game ran without complaining about missing vob-files and such and I could hear the sound, but no video (And yes, I've connected the loop cable). I think it might be stuck in the tv-out mode or something, but I have no idea how to make it display the video through the monitor.

Any suggestions on what might be wrong and how I can fix this?

Hmm. Can you watch them correctly with the DVD-Player under Windows? Or just sound, too? If just sound, try fiddling around with the Windows settings, maybe that helps ingame, too. If not you might want to check if the video really is send to TV-out or not shown at all.

Hi guys,

I've got the same two-sided DVD, XP OS, and a similar trouble, or actually even worse - I cannot see (and hear) the movies at all!
First I had an error about missing movie E:\VOB\SC_0010A.VOB, though the file did exist, of course. Then I played with MCI drivers configuration - edited WIN.INI and SYSTEM.INI and added a key in registry:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\MCI Extensions\vob"="MPEGVideo"
After that no error is shown, but no movie either :(. Just a black screen, then two lines of text are written at the top and bottom of the screen: "Help him out" and "Straighten him out". I guess some picture with a question should be shown there and I have to choose an answer.
Well, after some blind clicks and key presses I managed to get into the game itself, but without movies. All the video scenes are skipped :(. What's the point in having the DVD then?
Are there any tricks here? Is it possible to make it work somehow?

Thanks.

PS. Oh, yes, the VOBs play fine when using PowerDVD for example...

alpax - do you have a DXR card or a Ralmagic or a Hollywood? If not your problem does have nothing to do with Halgwet's one. You simply CANNOT use the movie part of the WC4 DVD version without proper hardware.

Is hardware MPEG2 player absolutely required?!?
Oops, I didn't know about it...
But I don't believe it's not possible to trick it somehow to show movies on the monitor... Nobody did that?

Yup. It needs DVD hardware to work. Or to be more precisely - it needs a proper MCI interface. There has been one person who got it to run via WinDVD's one and a couple of people who could get it to run with Ati/Cinemaster. Its also supposed to run with the Zoran (IIRC) player. None of that results have been reproduceable by the mass.
Usually you are able to see the FIRST movie just fine, but after the first choice the screen stays blank and you get a movie not found error despite that movie being there. There seems to be some sort of bug in the DVD hardware that either differently ends a movie or differently starts it which is slightly off the MCI standard.

Hello again everyone.
I managed to fix my problem. I'm still not entirely sure what caused it but I have a pretty good idea. I uninstalled the card, including all drivers and programs, and then reinstalled it. When I did that and played WC4 straight away it worked fine (and looks great by the way. The DVD was definately worth the trouble). I played the game for quite a while and then stopped for the day. The next day I got the same problem, sound but no picture. So I decided to go through what I had done between my two gaming sessions and the only thing that stuck out was that I had played an MPEG-file in the windows media player.
So I reinstalled the drivers and everything worked again. Tried restarting the game and the computer a few times. Everything still worked fine. Played an MPEG-file: the game wouldn't work. So it seems that when I play an MPEG-file in the media player it overrides the drivers for the card (or something like that) forcing me to reinstall them.
Anyway, now that I know what causes my problem I guess I'll just have to avoid playing MPEG-files while I play the game, which shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Back