WC3 on WINXP SP2, 100% working solution

ok i figuied it out, anyone who has a sound blaster audigy 4 follow the instrctions given above. However do not use sound blaster 16 when you install. Instead use soundblaster/Compatibles I/o port 220 irq 5 dma 1. This worked for me and i hope it works for you. It got rid of most of the background poping noise. I am using windows xp and i have an sound blaster audigy 4 and i used the instructions given at the beginning of this post.

Never mind sorry the movie part at the beginning of the game sounded better.However i still getting weird poping sounds in the background once i get on the ship.

The movie scenes only work for about 1 second before it stops and needs to be skipped. That goes for every movie scene. Sound fx does also not play either.

Hi

I had this problem as well, but I have reinstalled the DosBox and used the config set-up which adcap posted above. I have then installed the game to the default directory (which is C:\WC3\). The game now runs perfectly, although I still get some gilthing sounds in the background (I'm a SB Live Audigy user).

Hope that helps.

Sound and Play issues

I finally tried something that helped quite a bit. I set (in game configuration) the SVGA Movies and Gameplay from 16-bit to 8-bit and took care of most of the problems. I still get a little popping noise, but not as much as before.

I tried doing everything that was talked about here and did finally get it to run however I had to change the video settings to VGA instead of SVGA. While this does still allow me to play the game, it looks terrible. When I leave it on SVGA the video not play properly, to the point where I cannot make out what is happening. Is there any way to get my computer to do SVGA for a DOS game like this??

Maybe. Some more information would help. For starters, there are two solutions discussed in this thread, one using VDMSound and one using DOSbox. Which are you using? Also, what are the specifications of your computer? It could simply be that your computer dosent have enough power to emulate a computer powerful enough to run WC3 in SVGA.

Unregistered: What are the specific problems with SVGA video? Slow? Bad sound? Weird colors?

Running WC3 in Dosbox . . .

This thread has been super-helpful to me, considering I am a complete noob when it comes to anything DOS . . . I recently bought the 4-CD version of WC3, and am trying to run it in DosBox. I manage to get through everything, and I get good sound and I figured out how to get a save directory, but then, when I select "Save settings and run WC3", I get this error message:

Open failed on file: ..\..\DATA\SOUND\GFSAMPLE.IFF

I'm not sure what this means? Can anyone help me with this? I seriously have no idea what I'm doing . . .

It could be a mounting error. Does the game load when you don't specify any sound card? You might need to put different settings in for that.

hi, Im trying to get DOS WC3 to work on my system (512mb RAM, ATI Radeon xpress 200m) using VDMSound. I used the settings Ace_Starfighter posted which got the sound working, but the video appears in large blocks at random places around my screen, is there a fix for this? thanks

hi, Im trying to get DOS WC3 to work on my system (512mb RAM, ATI Radeon xpress 200m) using VDMSound. I used the settings Ace_Starfighter posted which got the sound working, but the video appears in large blocks at random places around my screen, is there a fix for this? thanks

What are your other system specs? Did you try Dosbox?

I got it to work on DOSBox for a little while, but it froze and closed and when I tried it again it just closed. I got winxp sp2, 512MB RAM, 789 MHz processor. It worked for a while though, I made it to Torgo 2 before it froze.

I got it to work on DOSBox for a little while, but it froze and closed and when I tried it again it just closed. I got winxp sp2, 512MB RAM, 789 MHz processor. It worked for a while though, I made it to Torgo 2 before it froze.

What do you mean by froze? it won't play if you restart dosbox? Did you shut down your PC and try again after a reboot?

it just stopped working, it got stuck on one frame and wouldnt continue. I waited for about 15 min before doin the alt-crtl-delete thing and closed it down that way. I then opened DOSBox again, did the mounting, typed in wc3, the CD Drive (a USB Flash Drive btw) started whirring around like it was working then DOSBox just unceremoniously closed, no error message or anything. I tried rebooting and starting it again but then same sudden close happened.

I have VDMSound installed and tried using that but everything was all blocky and you couldnt see anything. I played with the screen resolution but no joy. I've tried all the settings that were given in this thread but still nothing. this is really annoying, I got so far and really wanna go the rest of the way.

I just searched again through this forum and found talk of a patch that updates DOS WC3 to KS WC3, is there any place I can download that from? the only problem I have runnin it in just windows is the movie problem and I cant communicate with other ships.

A 789 MHz processor isn't enough to run WC3 in DOSBox. Is that a typo? Are you using the dynamic core option or anything like that? What version of DOSBox are you using? I'd uninstall and reinstall (0.65). It's weird that it would just stop working, and that might mean there's some kind of external corruption.

Some people have experimented with using the Kilrathi Saga executable to run WC3, but there is no actual patch.

is there a place to download the KS WC3 executable from?

I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling DOSBox (0.65 btw). I found those specs when I right clicked My Computer.

Hello, I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate with a 2 ghz AMD machine and I can't install WC3 or WC4 both used to work for my older Windows versions 95 and 98. I'm getting a 16 bit MS DOS error and somewthing about not running full screen mode. I'm getting frustrated not being able to play my old WC games that have been sitting in my closet so I'm a total newbie with all this stuff, any help is appreciated.

Hello, I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate with a 2 ghz AMD machine and I can't install WC3 or WC4 both used to work for my older Windows versions 95 and 98. I'm getting a 16 bit MS DOS error and somewthing about not running full screen mode. I'm getting frustrated not being able to play my old WC games that have been sitting in my closet so I'm a total newbie with all this stuff, any help is appreciated.

If you haven't already, try installing and running the games in Dosbox. Follow the tutorials here:https://www.wcnews.com/techsupport.shtml and see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got it to work in dosbox, but curious as to what will happen when it becomes time to switch discs will I have to re-do everything in dosbox?

Back