WC3 KS and Windows 98 SE

solidss

Spaceman
Ok to be honest i've tried everything to get WC3 KS to run properly on my WinXP machine but nope!Nothing.So i tried Virtual PC 2004 with Win98 SE installed and guess what.The game doesn't crash except from the videos that are somehow...skipping (along with the sound also).What should i do?

My spec also if that helps.

Athlon 64 X2 5000+
2GB RAM
GF 6600GT
On board sound card

Thanks in advance

Experiencing a similar problem. I've used the WC3 KS Win 2000 patch from wcnews, yet it didn't help. Any suggestions are welcome.

First, do not use the win2000 patch in win98. Second, have you tried adjusting the harware acceleration settings in windows 98 instalation?

Yes AD i did.Step by step i turned down the sound acceleration and i also tried the video acceleration but i had no luck.Not sure if i try to install Win2000 in Virtual PC will help.Any thoughts?

AD did you check the subs in WC3 for PSX that i told you?

solidss said:
AD did you check the subs in WC3 for PSX that i told you?

Haven't had a chance. I'll probably try it later tonight.

Virtual PC isn't the *best* application for this- I found that while VPC had lot of video skip issues, and the game itself was a bit slowish... VMWare worked much better. I would imagine, since you have more horsepower than I do (I have a p4 3.2) VMware would make a quite smooth ride (unfortunately, it costs more- as while you can download a free player, you require the full blown software to make a virtual machine). For Virtual PC though... ensure you've installed the Virtual PC extensions- as that gives you sound and hardware acceleration (though somewhat limited, it will suffice for wc3).

OK thanks to all of you AD,Killer and Mincemeat.I'll try VMWare server and see if it works.I'll report back later.

Back