WC2: Windows 98 SE Problems

Hobbs

Spaceman
Okay, I have have the Wing Commander II Deluxe Edition CD. I want to play the game on that CD with speach, sound, joystick, everything that happend on my old computer. It will not run on this computer. I made a bootdisk with /s in dos, but there is a FAT32 error, and it says "Invalid Media Type Reading Drive C:" or something simmilar. Please tell me how to fix the FAT32 error. Also, other times I've tried to install it, it says I don't have enough hard-drive space and memory, and I know that's a bunch of crap. I also have a problem getting different drivers to load and work, and I don't know which drivers are supposed to work with my hardware. Here is the config.sys and the autoexec.bat on my bootdisk.

(AUTOEXEC.BAT)

@C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVDX.EXE /Startup
@C:\PROGRA~1\WILDFI~1\GOBACK\GB_PROG.EXE /i C:1332
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6
SET SBPCI=C:\SBPCI
REM [Header]
@ECHO OFF

REM [CD-ROM Drive]

REM [Miscellaneous]

REM [Display]

SET CLASSPATH=C:\Program Files\HEAT\navbar;%CLASSPATH%

(CONFIG.SYS)

REM [Header]
REM == PISETUP Begin Delete ==
REM == PISETUP End Delete ==

REM [CD-ROM Drive]

REM [Miscellaneous]

REM [Display]

device=c:\windows\himem.sys
device=c:\windows\emm386.exe noems

I know I need ems, but I don't know how to set it. We can't get it to work, can you tell me where I can get the Kirathi Saga? On ebay, it always bids up to over $100, and that's old, used software!

IIRC the FAT32 problem is about how the Hard Disk is formatted, maybe you need to go in Win98 to System tools and convert to FAT32, but i don´t remember the place, maybe Johnl12 will read this and know what to do.

Make the bootdisk from Windows. Insert a floppy, right click the station, choose Format, and select the "copy system files" (or such) option.

The new bootdisk seems to be working well, atleast until the point where it says "invalid media type" error. I don't know after that. Anyway, it says it after I type "e:" [enter] (the boot disk creates ram drive, taking the place of d: for the cd-rom) and "cd wing2" [enter] "install" [enter], then the install screen loads, first it says "You may not have enough memory to run this program, especially if you plan to use sound-blaster and digitalized speech, continue anyway?" (crap! It worked fine on my old 486!) , next, it says, "Select letter of drive to load to". I choose c:, my hard-drive. It says "Dos reports an error: Invalid media type". Also, before I try to install, if I go to the c prompt and type dir/p, it says the same thing, then the dreaded "abort, retry, fail" routine. The first time I used a bootdisk, it said something like "[something is wrong with your hard-drive], you need to use [a program] to [either configure, read, setup] your hard-drive" And then I did that, and it asked me how I would like it done, and I just chose one setting, and the next time I used the bootdisk it had that error. If I could remember exactly what I did and what was said it would be key, so I'll try to remember, sorry! BTW, for the new boot disk, here are the "stats": (WAIT!!! IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN FDISK.EXE!!!)

Files are
Autoexec.bat
Btcdrom.sys
Btdosm.sys
Command.com
Config.sys
Drivespace.bin
Ebd.zip
Ebd.sys
Extract.exe
Fdisk.exe
Findramd.exe
Flashpt.sys
Himem.sys
Io.sys
Msdos.sys
Oakcdrom.sys
Ramdrive.sys
Readme.txt
Setramd.bat

Autoexec.bat...
@ECHO OFF
set EXPAND=YES
SET DIRCMD=/O:N
set LglDrv=27 * 26 Z 25 Y 24 X 23 W 22 V 21 U 20 T 19 S 18 R 17 Q 16 P 15
set LglDrv=%LglDrv% O 14 N 13 M 12 L 11 K 10 J 9 I 8 H 7 G 6 F 5 E 4 D 3 C
cls
call setramd.bat %LglDrv%
set temp=c:\
set tmp=c:\
path=%RAMD%:\;a:\;%CDROM%:\
copy command.com %RAMD%:\ > NUL
set comspec=%RAMD%:\command.com
copy extract.exe %RAMD%:\ > NUL
copy readme.txt %RAMD%:\ > NUL

:ERROR
IF EXIST ebd.cab GOTO EXT
echo Please insert Windows 98 Startup Disk 2
echo.
pause
GOTO ERROR

:EXT
%RAMD%:\extract /y /e /l %RAMD%: ebd.cab > NUL
echo The diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive %RAMD%.
echo.

IF "%config%"=="NOCD" GOTO QUIT
IF "%config%"=="HELP" GOTO HELP
LH %ramd%:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /L:%CDROM%
echo.
GOTO QUIT

:HELP
cls
call help.bat
echo Your computer will now restart and the startup menu will appear.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
restart.com
GOTO QUIT

:QUIT
echo To get help, type HELP and press ENTER.
echo.
rem clean up environment variables
set CDROM=
set LglDrv=

Config.sys...
[menu]
menuitem=CD, Start computer with CD-ROM support.
menuitem=NOCD, Start computer without CD-ROM support.
menuitem=HELP, View the Help file.
menudefault=CD,30
menucolor=7,0

[CD]
device=himem.sys /testmem:eek:ff
device=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
device=btdosm.sys
device=flashpt.sys
device=btcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
device=aspi2dos.sys
device=aspi8dos.sys
device=aspi4dos.sys
device=aspi8u2.sys
device=aspicd.sys /D:mscd001

[NOCD]

[HELP]

[COMMON]
files=10
buffers=10
dos=high,umb
stacks=9,256
devicehigh=ramdrive.sys /E 2048
lastdrive=z

Hope this helps!!!

"invalid media type" error.
Make sure you have a back up of your data.
If this is a work PC have Desktop Support take a look that it.
First, while in windows right click on the c: drive and choose Properties. What does it say under File System. If it's reports FAT32 than run Scandisk. Set it to run Thorough and Auto Fix. This will take a while so now would be a good time to go on a date or see a movie. I would also run Defrag.
Note: Once you start Scandisk do not stop it.

If it's reports FAT insert your Win98 CD and choose "Add/Remove Programs" Look for "Systems Tools" and choose "Drive Conventer (FAT32)" and install it. You'll most likely will need to re-start.

Now follow this path Start Button > Programs > Accessories > Systems Tools. Run the Drive Conventer (FAT32). Re-start than run Scandisk. Set it to run Thorough and Auto Fix. I would also run Defrag.

Also how large is you hard drive? What kind of MB do you have. How comfortible are you with working on your PC. We may need to flash your bios.

That boot disk you have is call a "Win98 Startup Disk" it is use for troubleshooting Win98. We would not use it's autoexec.bat and config.sys to play games. We would create a new autoexec.bat and config.sys. Or do what Kris said. I prefer the way Kris stated.

Well, I'm off to take John's advice. Wish me luck! I don't have backup files, but I do have Gateway GoBack, so I'll use that if I get in trouble. My hard-drive has 6.15GB left, not a problem. I learned a lot about computers from screwing with my old computer, and taught myself how to type pretty fast. I'd call myself intermediate geek. I'm not quite sure about the MB, though I think it came with 128MB, and I can set the ems, upper memory, and other stuff if I read up more on Autoexec.bat and Config.sys. Flash bios??? My computer has it, but I don't know what you mean.

I assume you have a Gateway PC. Check their web site for updates. You can copy your data to floppies or burn a CD. Data = Word, Excell, media, Email, bookmarks type files ect.. MS has a backup ulitity you'll install it just like the Drive Convertor. If you have a Burner it should have came with a backup program.

Well, before I tried running scandisk like you said, I wanted to see fdisk again. I accidentally deleted the partition on drive c, and, well, I'm still looking for all of the drivers I need... Atleast I got Windows back! I haven't even tried getting wc to work since then, but I might be able to get it to work without the joystick and sound if I just use the OakCD driver now that I probably don't have that drive C problem anymore now that I'm back to FAT and not FAT32. I dunno what's going on anymore, I'm trying everything. Bye ya'll!

Hobbs, you really should have done what I said. FAT32 is better than FAT. FAT32 supports large Hard Drive, better manage it. With FAT you lose disk space. It can only support up to 2GB of space on a HD so for large HD so you'll need to have mult-partations on any HD large than 2GB. FAT is old. No one in high tech would suggest FAT over FAT32. Read this.
http://www.sysedco.com/library/windows/fat_vs_fat32.htm
http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/reviews/0,4161,2618773-7,00.html
http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/file/partSizes.html
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/fileFAT32-c.html

No, I was already running FAT32 before, I thought it needed to be FAT because it was an older program. Now I don't know what to do because now when I type "C:", it just says invalid drive specification. What would be the best is if somebody could tell me how to get CD's to work in DOS mode, I think.

Are you having problem access your CD or hard drive? From what you were writing everyone here thought the problem was with you hard drive. CD-ROM is easy to do. You need to make clean what your problems are and what you are doing which causes these errors.

You should be using FAT32.

Okay, to clear up the hard-drive/cd-rom drive question...

When I use a boot disk to try to run Wing Commander II, it's the hard drive that says "Invalid Drive Specification" (before the "user error" last night, it was "invalid media type reading drive c"). Since that didn't seem to be working too well, I went back to clicking "Start">"Shutdown">"Restart in DOS Mode". When I try it that way, it seems the only problem is it won't recognize the CD-ROM drive (possibly other hardware required for the game -- sound, joystick, etc.), and possibly memory, which could be fixed by fooling with AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS. The only problem is, I'm used to using that old system, and it's been a while the same, so I can't remember much about the emm386 and such commands. But anyway, it seems the easiest way to try to get WC2 to work is without the boot disk. Goodbye from all of us on the TCS Concordia.

Khasra, what is happening on Ghorah Khar?

The rebels have taken the planet, my lord.

How can these scum stand against their rightful lords? I cannot let them gain my stealth fighter technology. Launch a full spread of missiles directly into the Ghorah Khar shipyards.

My lord, we will lose years of progress. And your plans for conquering the Terrans.

We'll have to wait. Launch the attack, Khasra. Then I will return to the palace... and render an apology... to the Emperor...

;)

Back