WC2/WC3 Transition

In the WCP manual they mention Excals being sent to scout Kilrah, after the first hours of the Nephilim invasion. And I recall seing Excals in a cutscene in SO.

TheRedDuke said:
WC: Unknown Enemy is a terrific take on the "medley" of ships in the service of the Border Worlds in the post-Kilrathi War era. Flying a Scimitar again was a real treat, and the Bengal Class Carrier never looked so good.

I do believe that the Excal was in Prophecy or SO (I think the latter but can't exactly remember), so it was definitely in service during the war with the Nephilum.

Yeah Ive played Unknown Enemy, and I like it, but I think the decision to include scimitars while cool, made less sense then if it had used Rapier II's instead
but hell its their mod.

So we have reserve squadrons/system security/militia squadrons running around with some sabre's maybe even rapiers, but having them replaced by newer birds (hellcats? maybe but most likely T-bolts and excalibers?) at the time of the Nephelium?

Edfilho said:
I recall seing Excals in a cutscene in SO.

Yep. Half-squadrons of Excals and Thunderbolts were stationed on the various Murphy-class destroyers that the Cerb sometimes worked with, during the course of SO.

Edfilho said:
And I recall seing Excals in a cutscene in SO.

Yes! I knew I saw them somewhere. Plus I just found this super cool Excal entry in the CIC's Encyclopedia!

There's an interesting discussion going on right now in "Anyone not like the books?" pretaining to production/destruction of fighters during the Kilrathi War. Some of the numbers discussed imply that by the time WC3+4 came to be, so many older craft had been destroyed that all that really remained of the fleet was newer craft dominated the fleet. Couple in the fact that Confed probably wants it's best fighters on the front lines, and that adequately explains why you don't see the old stuff in the newer games. As FC says (thanks Quarto) and UE implies, older craft are still in use with ISS, as well as purchased by various factions, but I honestly don't think there are that many left in service by the time of the Nephilium War.

I think I might have answered my original question from the top of the thread. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to fly a hellcat in the WCP/SO engine. Actually, I'd enjoy flying most of the WC3 ships in that engine. It was a bit more fluid than their native engines. Plus, I always enjoyed the Hellcat and the Arrow. I 'borrowed' a T-bolt using the ship switcher for SO. And an Excal. I also unpacked the UE ships and got to fly a Ferret, Epee, Avenger, Banshee, Scimitar, etc etc.

Hey, Standoff developers (mostly Quarto and Eder, really), will we be able to unpack Standoff ships and do the same thing? (I mean, I tried it with the beta package, but they crashed the game).

I think that the situation in WCIII and the dire situation you would need the best in the more critical sectors like enigma and such, although we dont see the older stuff, although its probaly floating around in gemini and oh heck what ever the other front line sectors are.

As of prophecy you have had another decade almost of production with the only light attrition so the number of modern space craft should be fairly plentefull.

Also help explains why confed comercial transportation is made up entirely of mass produced designs like the WC III and IV transport and the Pelican, because confed probably produced a billion copies of the suckers to make up for the loss of shipping during the battle of earth (and they seem fairly simple straightforward and rather flexible craft, making them a merchants dream)

overmortal said:
Hey, Standoff developers (mostly Quarto and Eder, really), will we be able to unpack Standoff ships and do the same thing? (I mean, I tried it with the beta package, but they crashed the game).
Standoff is pretty much identical in this regard to UE... so, you should be able to do the same thing. At which point did it crash?

Back