WC2 ships

Aries

Vice Admiral
What's up. I have recently joined up so if ya'll have already talked about this, sorry in advance: What is up with the Wraith and Jrathek in the ships database under WC2? I know they are in Armada but I haven't seen them in WC2. Is my game messed up or are the ships just misplaced in the database?

They were first introduced in Academy, which is basically Wing Commander II's simulator. (It uses the same engine.)

No, but since a separate section for Academy would be redundant, the ships were tossed in with Wing Commander II.

Well, that's a bit different. Special Operations 2 is an extension of Wing Commander II, so its ships really do belong there. The Academy ships were thrown in there as a matter of convenience.

ugh do u know nothin! ;) i guess dats why the rapier in the movie looks crap, oh wait... thats nothing to do with it hehe ignore me

"TCSTigersClaw:WcA Wraith never produced. The real Wraith Stats are those from Armada. "

whu? do you mean that the stats in the encyclopedia are the armada stats? or that the ones in the wc2 section are the "pilot training" version, and how do we know that the wraith as seen in wc2 was never produced? the ship didnt appear in any of the timeline games, merely in wca and armada, we cant stately conclusively that the wraith in armada wasnt an updated version, since armada is nearer wc3 era than wc2 (although they are very close together)

The Wraith in Academy was not a 'real' fighter, it was programmed into the simulator, which is what Academy was, a big simulator....

The Wraith in Armada is an actual physical craft with you which you do 'real' combat missions in. It's stats were changed in the process of going from concept, to actual production.

Hope that helps!

im aware of the idea behind academy, but how do we know that the academy wraith was never produced as an earlier revision of the wraith that isnt seen again, like the ferrets revision? or the rapiers! is there hard canon proof that the wraith in academy was never built?

is there hard canon proof that the wraith in academy was never built?

Nope, I don't believe so, but that also goes the other way around... there is no proof that the Wraith in Academy WAS built. The fact is that the Wraith in Academy was a simulator program, and the wraith in Armada was 'real,' that's pretty much all we know.

and yet academy was desinged to train pilots of the ships of the future, so logically why change the design specs of the ship?

and yet academy was desinged to train pilots of the ships of the future, so logically why change the design specs of the ship?

Any number of reasons; budget, demand, resources, technology change... etc It doesn't really seem that off the wall to me, but oh well. That's just my thoughts on the whole thing...

Originally posted by Madman
"TCSTigersClaw:WcA Wraith never produced. The real Wraith Stats are those from Armada. "

whu? do you mean that the stats in the encyclopedia are the armada stats? or that the ones in the wc2 section are the "pilot training" version, and how do we know that the wraith as seen in wc2 was never produced? the ship didnt appear in any of the timeline games, merely in wca and armada, we cant stately conclusively that the wraith in armada wasnt an updated version, since armada is nearer wc3 era than wc2 (although they are very close together)

Yes Wraith (WcA) was a simulator-only Fighter. It was not even a protoype of it! The real prototype and produced Wraith was the Armada one. But....it didnt last for long.It used only for Convert Ops and after the War Ended we never saw it again :)

Originally posted by Corsair(pilot)
Any number of reasons; budget, demand, resources, technology change... etc It doesn't really seem that off the wall to me, but oh well. That's just my thoughts on the whole thing...

Hmm I think after the war they reduced the Budget for Army.I m not sure. But look at the Excalibur for example ! Its not as good as Wc3!

The Torpedoes are not as powerfull as they were. They didnt need to spend the money they did in the war period , so many fighters (Wraith) vanquished !

On the other hand they spent money for the development of CapShips (Vesuvious Class or later The Midway etc)

Back