WC2 on XP

U

Unregistered

I don't know how, but on my old Laptop, which also had XP, i was able to get Wing Commander 2 to run properly... but now that I got a new one... every time I try to install the game, it says "Not enough Expanded memory" when I know for a fact that I have more then enough! I really want to play the game again and this is making me mad, can anyone help me!!!

Unregistered said:
it says "Not enough Expanded memory" when I know for a fact that I have more then enough!

Do you even know what expanded memory is? It's not simply ram. It's a portion of your ram configured in a certain way to do certain things. To enable speech and advanced effects in WC2, a portion of your ram must be configured as expanded memory. Playing WC2 directly in XP is likely to run into a number of problems though. We have a number of dosbox walkthroughs in this forum and at the main site that will set up WC2 in XP, and they'd all take the expanded memory configuration into account.

Xp's 9x compatibility feature provides you with an option to adress EMS(expanded memory, not to be confused with extended memory or XMS), i would recommend adressing 2048 to 4096 KB just for this.

But it would be a better game experience to run it in dosbox.

There is Also VDMSound which includes a configuring tool for Windows to DOS games. YOu might try that program but WC2 runs slower than WC3 so you might need to do some tweaking to get it to work properly. I have not tried to get it to work yet since i had an old pc to run it on if i so wish.

answer

i'm having the same problem. thing about it is something to do with not having a voodoo card. that or a voodoo3.2 or something

deciever02, I don't exactly understand what you want to say, but WC2 doesn't know about Voodoo cards at all. They weren't even invented by the time WC2 was done. So no, Voodoo cards won't have any influence on it at all.

Back