WC2 experiences...

Chernikov

Spaceman
Im at the first torpedo run in WC2, and Im feeling the pain of phase shields. Ive launched 4 torpedoes, and none have hit. One was long range and was wasted before it had a chance of hitting, two apparently missed, and the last was blown up so close to my ship I was instantly vaporized. How are we supposed to launch a torp through that type of barrage? And if we miss, how are we supposed to get away? Every time I wind up being nailed on the way out around 4000 meters distance. Help!!! Anyone?

Also, is there some way to get faster shield recharge? Theyre apparently stronger than earlier models, but the recharge rate is beyond crap. No manual, so no idea how to redistribute power and all that.

You aren't given the option of power distribution until Wing Commander III. The only way to recharge your shields in the previous games is to find a nice, quiet nav point and wait until your shields are at full power.

------------------
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

[This message has been edited by WildWeasel (edited October 20, 2000).]

And you don't fire torpedoes until you're within 3000. This just about guarantees success. Once you fire the first torp, turn around and run. It's quite likely that your armour will take quite a beating (I presume that you're flying a Broadsword), but that doesn't matter. Once you're out of range, turn around, wait for the shields to recharge just a bit, and then go in with the second torp. If this one hits, the capship is dead.

Wing Commander II gives capships too much shielding and your fighters too little firepower. Capships are easier to take out in any other game. This often leads many frustrated pilots to give up on that game.

------------------

While we're still on the topic, has anyone noticed that The Kilrathi Saga version of Wing Commander II really slows the game down during flight and speeds up the movies? I'm not sure if this is just another problem with my computer but my fighters really don't respond quick enough. (Keep in mind that I'm using the keyboard.)

------------------

It`s not that. They just forgot to change the speed on some of the animation scenes.

------------------
Sometimes you`re the windshield
Sometimes you`re the BUG...

Strategic withdrawl is best when recharging shields. Of course, there always exists the possibity of editing the rate. The Sabre's will recharge by the time you set up for another run.

WildWeasel: First of all, capships should be tough. WC2 is actually the best in that aspect. The others were far too easy.
As for your problem with game speed, WC2 has got adjustable frame rate. If it's too slow, just speed it up
biggrin.gif
. I don't quite remember for certain, but I believe the keys for doing that are the same as for WC3 (ALT+N/ALT+M).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help with the frames, but having capships totally impervious to any ship's guns? I don't think so. Some games do make it a bit too easy, but Prophecy was a nice medium. You couldn't down the capship with ship's guns (not counting the Plasma Cannon) but you could prevent it from harming you.

Didn't the Wraith's Reaper Cannon or Leech Missile take down phase shields also? It was one of the two. Too bad you coudn't fly that ship on bombing runs. The Broadsword was too slow for my tastes.

------------------

The wraith can take down WC2 era phase shields temorarily with each leech at which point the ship is vulnerable to those nasty reapers.

Well, if your flying a Sabre with a strike loadout, just get your torpedo lock from just beyond flak range (15,000 I think). Then afterburn in at full speed and release at 2,500. In a broadsword, you do a similar thing but 300kps is the fastest you can go.
wink.gif

btw: Morningstars & Crossbows in like manner also

You mean follow a similar procedure with Morningstar as the Sabre, right? It does have afterburners. Broadswords have a top speed of 320, BTW.

And the Crossbow has 370kps. One of my favouritest WC2 ships, that 'un. Though the lack of side turrets was a bother when fighting five Gothri.
mad.gif

I think the mission I hated the most was when you had to take down a Ralatha in a Sabre (with strike loadout 1). Those Jalkehi had the annoying ability to take down one of my torps, and then I couldn't finish the mission (because Jazz was so lame that he couldn't even fire a torp).
I once came back from that mission going at about 60kps - engine damage
smile.gif
. Needless to say, I was altogether quite unhappy to see the Grikaths attacking the Concordia. So, I decided to see if the Concordia could handle them alone, which she could
biggrin.gif

Quarto: didnt bother to take down the Jalkehi first? tsk tsk tsk... never rely on a total asshole to back you up. Traitor or no.

Saw the Phase Cannon and antimatter guns in use for the first time today (cheated the capships of their kills the other times). Did anyone else think that it was just a LITTLE bit unfair to the Kilrathi for the Concordia to have that cannon?

------------------
You deal death with your roars and your screams, your threats, your taunts, your overblown ego. I hand it out, one with the steel and the silence, the blackness around me, with a thought.

Well, the Kilrathi had the gun first. Remember what happened to Goddard?

------------------

smile.gif
Surprisingly, the hotshot Jazz is useless during strike sorties. He just kept asking for help, when in fact he and a Jalkehi were doing the merry-go-round. You'll have to take out that one too, because Jazz would'nt even fire at it when you're on the torp run against the Ralatha. (look at the replay)
mad.gif

As for Khasra and the four Gothris: Take him out 4th and shoot the at their cockpit area. They don't like that. They just turn and run - let'em.
biggrin.gif

No, I mean I took a hit, and got that annoying "weapon destroyed" message
smile.gif
. That was while I was busy taking them down, not going after the Ralatha. The only time I ever try to take down a capship before the fighters is the Korah Pokh mission, and that's just because I've yet to see Angel come back in her fighter from that one
smile.gif

Back