WC1 sound issues

johnmurphy01

Spaceman
Hello all. I have a weird issue.

I installed the DOS version of Wing Commander 1 on my Mac through DosBox/Boxer. I played all the way to the Gimle System. Now, when I start the mission and get shot into space from the Tiger Claw, the sound hangs and all I hear is a constant hum, presumably the last sound byte that was played before the sound hung.

This had been happening intermittently before but I was always able to get it to work by restarting the game.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? I've tried slowing down the framerate through DosBox, I've tried changing the sound card to Roland.

Thanks in advance!

dosbox doesnt support the mt32 by default, so don't use the roland option. otherwise, i'm not sure about this, it rings a bell from dos days of yore (never had it in dosbox) but check your memory settings (xms and ems) in the dosbox config.

You could try starting it with something like "loadfix -32 wc". That fixes a similar issue in WC2, but it's not common to see something like this in WC1. Alternately, keep trying different combinations of CPU, sound and other dosbox config settings.

Back