WC1 installation problem w/ DosBox

Kalin

Spaceman
I've been trying unsuccessfully to install the CD version of WC1 (not WC1 and 2 together, just WC1 with SM1 and SM2) onto my computer using DosBox the past couple days. I've been able to mount the CD-rom successfully and run the install program, but when it comes to the screen asking "Copy from which drive?", I can't input anything other than Esc; the program simply refuses to accept any drive letters I put in. Is there anyway I can get this thing working right??

Hmm. Have you tried mounting your CD-Drive as "A:"? If I remember right, that's how I got around this bug. If this still doesn't work, copy your whole CD-content to the hDD and mount that directory as "A:"
Ok, I've got the WC1/WC2 + SM/SO/SpeechPack Combo CD, but I'd guess it should work this way for you, too. If it doesn't, I'll check it again ;) - Maybe I forgot some steps.

Doesn't work. When I mount either the CD Drive itself or the copied files to the A: drive and then run install, the program goes straight to the "Please insert your original Wing Commander Disk 1 in drive" screen.

Ok, then I'll check out my install procedure again. I hope I can help you then ;)
Bad news :( - I have got no problem with installing WC1, but I had them with WC2. I solved that problem via simply copying the files from the CD to the directory. But the configuration during installation went OK, so no idea if it works for you, too. - If you could select your Soundcard etc. but simply can't select the CD-drive to start copying files, this might work, too.

Or wait! Just remembered something: Have you mounted your CD-Drive as a CD-Drive or simply as a drive? If you didn't mount it as CD, it won't work!
Here is my autoexec.bat:

mount C C:\Spiele\Dosbox\Games
mount D d:\ -t cdrom
C:

Note, that the drive letters may differ, but you need the -t cdrom to be able to install the game. Hope that'll fix it ;)

I've been mounting the cd-drive as a cd-drive, so thats not it. But when i copied the cd files to the directory, I got a little more progress. It still wouldn't let me choose the drive, but when i ESCed out of that screen and the "please insert Disk 1 screen" I got to the screen shown in this post. Maybe I didn't copy all the files correctly or something, because all I did was put the Gamedat files into the directory. Should there be more files I should copy; if so, which ones go where?

Attachments

• wc1 install prob.JPG
    wc1 install prob.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 168
I see...
Here the list of Files and where they went in my case after installing the game(WITHOUT SM1+2 that is):
"c:\Wing\":
Install.exe
WC.exe
Wingcmdr.cfg (that one is created during install)
"c:\Wing\Gamedat":
all other files (55 files)

After installling SM1+2 these files are added:
"c:\Wing\":
crusade.cfg
sm2.exe
trans2.exe
transfer.exe
"c:\Wing\Gamedat":
All other remaining files. (83 total, together with WC1 files)

P.S.: (offtopic) If I may give you a tip: use higher cycles for the installing progress, 2500 is even too slow to play the game, and can get annoying during install ;) - For gaming WC1 I use 4000, and for installing 10000 to 20000.

EDIT: Bad news :( Just copying the files to the directory where you want it to be installed doesn't work. But copying the whole CD to a seperate HDD drive and mounting that one as a cd worked for me.
AND mounting the directory as Floppy-drive A also worked perfect (didn't mount the whole CD as floppy, but the e:\WC1 directory - No idea how it's called in your case.

I've tried all of that - increasing the cycles, copying the CD to another hard drive, mounting the directory as the floppy - and nothing works. Is there anything else I can do, or could it be my comp?

Hmm that's really strange. May I see your whole Conf-file? Maybe something else is mixed up or so...

EDIT: I just got an idea: I've uploaded my wing Commander config File. Normally that one should work for you, too. Here is the link:
http://wuqked.setclan.com/wccfg/ - There are two files, one config for Wing Commander, The other one for secret mission2. Just copy them to your Wing Commander Folder (not in the Gamedat! Just where the exe is) Hopefully this will work.

I finally got it working! I saved the config file you gave me to my drive (thank you very much, btw!), but then I got a really weird idea. I installed WC into the install directory, and it worked! I'm inferring from your posts theres a seperate program to install SM2... how do you do this?

To install SM2 just copy all files from SM2 to the "gamedat" directory EXCEPT those three files:
crusade.cfg
sm2.exe
trans2.exe

they must go into the "Wing" Main directory. After that you can run the SM2 via sm2.exe - hopefully that works, too ;)

Back