WC1 Beat Hazard Ships Update

Shaggy

Vice Admiral
I just finished publishing a WC1 era A-14 Raptor for Beat Hazard for anyone interested. It's extremely powerful and nice and slidey. You will need the Shadow Ops DLC for it.
Next up: The Hornet.

Attachments

• Beat Hazard Raptor.png
    Beat Hazard Raptor.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 120
What is Beat Hazard? How would you go about downloading or incorporating your ship?

What is Beat Hazard? How would you go about downloading or incorporating your ship?
Beat Hazard is a top down twinstick shooter that plays pretty much like Geometry Wars, except it uses music on your hard drive to generate the levels. And I mean any music you might happen to have. If you don't know what Geometry Wars is, think Asteroids meats Robotron 2084. Beat Hazarad is an indie game you can get on several platforms. I've got it both for PC and Android thanks to various indie bundles, but I don't think I have the DLC that Shaggy mentioned. Don't know anything about modding it, but presumably there's instructions out there if you look.

The Shadow Ops DLC is available on Steam right now and it incorporates the ship editing software so that you can mod ships directly from the game. When you want to grab a new ship you simply subscribe to it from the workshop pages. Some ships require different rank levels, which you get from completing missions.
The Raptor is a little high but not as bad as most, Bonga_Bonga's Star Citizen Hornet is a top rank ship and the Avenger is only a tier or two below that, but they're great looking and powerful ships. I'm trying to build the WC1 fighters up to a somewhat equal power relationship to what they have in WC. So the Raptor is very heavy gunned and fast. The Hornet, which I'm working on art for right now, will likely have weaker guns but much more speed and less inertial drift so that it will be highly maneuverable with a weaker punch. The Rapier will probably top out on the rank scale so that I can utilize enough mod points to make it the top dog like it is in WC.
I've got a clear idea of how I want to layout the Raptor and the Hornet, the two extremes as far as firepower, but I'm a little unsure about Rapier and Scimitar so I might start asking for some advice when I hit those two.

The Shadow Ops DLC is available on Steam right now and it incorporates the ship editing software so that you can mod ships directly from the game. When you want to grab a new ship you simply subscribe to it from the workshop pages. Some ships require different rank levels, which you get from completing missions.

Are the 'workshop pages' something that's built into the game or a separate website you need to go to? Do you have any screenshots of that or of the ship in game? Thanks,

The Steam app has workshop pages tied specifically to each game that supports the workshop. If you own Beat Hazard there will be random thumbnails of the available ships. which will let you subscribe right away or click on them to see their description page, on the launcher screen for the game. If you have any of the Valve games on your computer, after Half Life 2, then you will have Steam. It's just a matter of doing a search for the Beat Hazard game.
Anyway here's a screen shot I put together, for the ship's page, showing the Raptor with it's full powered beams.

Attachments

• Raptor JPEG 1.jpg
    Raptor JPEG 1.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 92
The F-36 Hornet is now up on the Workshop pages. It's as fast and agile as I could possibly make it but it carries somewhat weak guns. The rounds are very fast so you can't really fog your shots but it seems to balance out the low damage factor of the bullets, sort of death by a thousand cuts. It takes some skill to excel with but it's not too bad.
None of the ships will be to scale with one another, because of how the editor works and the way I'm doing the art, and the missions tied to them aren't that difficult because these are more for aesthetics than any sort of major skills challenge.
Enjoy.

The F-36 Hornet is now up on the Workshop pages. It's as fast and agile as I could possibly make it but it carries somewhat weak guns. The rounds are very fast so you can't really fog your shots but it seems to balance out the low damage factor of the bullets, sort of death by a thousand cuts. It takes some skill to excel with but it's not too bad.
None of the ships will be to scale with one another, because of how the editor works and the way I'm doing the art, and the missions tied to them aren't that difficult because these are more for aesthetics than any sort of major skills challenge.
Enjoy.

More screenshots please, for those of us who do not have Beat Hazard.

Any way to get this into the Android version of the game?
The art, at least in Steam version, is all .PNG files even in the base version of the game. If the same is true of the Android version then it would probably just take some enterprising individual with programming\hacking knowledge of Android to get in there and replace the art, but I don't know how to do that on Android. I thought about trying a TC for the game before Shadow Ops showed up, but in order to unzip the art files you have to have a password.
Anyway, here's some sample screenshots of the Hornet, for those who don't have Steam or Beat Hazard.Hornet 01.jpg Hornet 02.jpg Hornet.png

The Rapier is up and ready to fight. I built up with the most powerful guns, the most speed, and the most agility I could cram into it. Because of the edit point system this means that there is a repellant force toward the powerups but it's not too bad and the fighter is fast enough to catch them. This also means that it's a top rank fighter so you'll have to rank up all the way to access it. I wish there was a better way to do it but it is what it is.
That does it for the WC 1 Confed fighters. I'm going to start looking at options for the Kilrathi fighters but I've got some busy days ahead of me and I'm not sure when I'll get to them.Rapier Final.png Rapier 01.jpg Rapier 02.jpg Rapier 03.jpg

The Flying Pancake is now up for Beat Hazard!
The Dralthi is the first fighter I did without relying on preexisting panel lines. With the Confed fighters I used the Blueprint images as a basic road map and relied on their lines, less and less as time went by, to help illustrate many of the panels the fighters have. With this one I used the Dralthi image, from the Joan's Fighting Spacecraft Claw Marks supplement, for the shapes and size but all of the lines from that were wiped away by the end of the project and started taking a little more artistic liberties with these.Dralthi 01.jpg Dralthi 02.jpg Dralthi 03.jpg Dralthi.png

I had the art done for the Salthi back on Monday but didn't get a chance to squeeze it into the game until today. Like the Hornet it's fast and agile but the guns are weak. I'll try and get some in game shots up after the weekend. But for now here's the look.Salthi Final.png

Could you put them into a collection or something? Considering there's 45 pages of 30 ships (or what passes for ships...) it's a bit of work trying to find each one...A one-stop place would make it much easier.

Could you put them into a collection or something? Considering there's 45 pages of 30 ships (or what passes for ships...) it's a bit of work trying to find each one...A one-stop place would make it much easier.
Once I finish off the Kilrathi ships I'll put together a fighters pack to simplify subscribing. But if you do a search for Dralthi Mk II, or even just Dralthi, it should be the only one to pop up in the results, then you can look directly at my workshop files. I've only got like three Portal 2 files and the rest are all Beat Hazard ships.

Back