WC:T Byrd Scoutship wip

There's no Manassas class cruiser, there's a TCS Manassas. We don't hear a class name for her ever.

The fact that there's a ship named Manassas -- the Confederate name for the Battle of Bull Run -- is bizarre in and of itself, it's best not to draw attention to it by pretending it's also the name of a class of ships, as Wing Commander fans facing an unknown are oft want to do for some reason.

The Byrd (B-Y-R-D, B-Y[/b}-R-D) class ship is the flat, triangular ship... it's the Achilles-class and the 'transport' that share similar designs.

In WCA to hard take true info. At this i think if we change the geometric form - we plase error on error. WCM and WCA is so SPECIAL data.... If we use it - we must be careful.

Wing Commander Academy is the only place in all of Wing Commander that the ship ever appears - how can using the only one design it's ever had be an error?

i see it this way:
the visual style(soz for starting on this again) of wca is different from wc1. not only that the trafalgar is a bengal here, while in wc:games it is a jutland, but also the claw itslef looks a lot different.

i suppose you can regard my approach as a re-interpretation, trying to merge the visuals of wca with those of wc1

the visual style(soz for starting on this again) of wca is different from wc1.

This is a nice, broad excuse that ultimately means absolutely nothing. As Quarto said in another one of these threads, no one cares about seeing a fan re-imagining of an existing ship design, no matter what logic he's decided allows him to do so.

not only that the trafalgar is a bengal here, while in wc:games it is a jutland, but also the claw itslef looks a lot different.

Erm, they're very clearly not the same ship - since the Bengal-class TCS Trafalgar is destroyed in 2654 and End Run takes place in 2667.

(Also, we must note that there's no 'Jutland-class' referenced anywhere in the continuity. The TCS Trafalgar mentioned in End Run is called only a "CVA".)

Hm....
WCA era is earlie then WC1 - thed design of ship may be change.
Lok at Byrd (???i???y???), Achilles, Manassas, Transport - it have one design. After some years design change on wc1 design. Year by year design may be change. And we not to change wiev Byrd to include in wc1. We have venture!

Bandit LOAF said:
This is a nice, broad excuse that ultimately means absolutely nothing. As Quarto said in another one of these threads, no one cares about seeing a fan re-imagining of an existing ship design, no matter what logic he's decided allows him to do so.

Which is precisely why I disliked the Claw from the WC Movie. I wanted to see a replica of what was in the game. In the WCM it wasn't a fan who re imagined the ship but the creator...still, the statement holds true.

RAT said:
Hm....
WCA era is earlie then WC1 - thed design of ship may be change.
Lok at Byrd (???i???y???), Achilles, Manassas, Transport - it have one design. After some years design change on wc1 design. Year by year design may be change. And we not to change wiev Byrd to include in wc1. We have venture!

Wing Commander Academy and Wing Commander I take place in the same year (2654).

These two ships are decidedly not the same:

wcatv-byrd.jpg

The transport, the fighter transport and the Achilles-class ship all have very similar designs - the Byrd-class (on the left) does not. It has those hexagonal structures on the sides, the bottom is flat, it has a pointed bow... it's not the same ship as the others.

(And once again, the name of the ship is *Byrd*, per the captions and the episode script. The ship is named after Rear Admiral Richard Byrd, a famous polar explorer. It's a perfectly reasonable name for a *recon* ship.)

Last edited by a moderator:
i think what he was trying to say is that they follow similar design patterns.

as for the trafalgar...i didn't know there we two of them. trying to count the numbers of ships with the same name, it looks like confed runs out of names to give from time to time:D

I can think of eight names that get reused:

TCS Ajax - Achilles-class Destroyer [WCA], Tallahassee-class Cruiser [WC3]

TCS Concordia - Concordia-class Carrier [AS], Concordia-class Supercruiser [WCM], Confederation-class Dreadnaught [WC2]

TCS Exeter - Exeter-class Destroyer [WC1], Bengal-class Strike Carrier [SWC]

TCS Gettysburg - Gettysburg-class Cruiser [FF], Waterloo-class Cruiser [SO1]

TCS Intrepid - Destroyer [ER], Durango-class Heavy Destroyer [WC4]

TCS Lexington - Concordia-class Carrier [WC4], Lexington-class Heavy Carrier [ARM]

TCS Suffolk - Transport [WCA], Capital Ship [WC1]

TCS Trafalgar - Bengal-class Strike Carrier [WCA], Attack Carrier [ER]

Two of Paladin's 'spy ships' bear the same names as comissioned ships -- the Bannockburn and the Diligent.

The Ajax in WC3 was clearly a Tallahassee-class cruiser. The Ajax on Wing Commander Academy was one of the three Achilles-class destroyers we've been talking about in this thread (we're told the Trafalgar battle group has three Achilles-class ships, and then during the battle one of the comms is 'destroyer Ajax lost').

The Suffolk isn't given a class, there's just a reference to it destroying a Kilrathi base in Wing Commander I.

WCA - Blair and otheer is a cadet.
WC1 - Blair, Maniak and other a pilots.
It's not one year (2654)!
In WCA we must loock at storyline - not on fighter. WCA - fighter "cocktail". It take wc1-wc4 fighter craft and some unidentifikation craft.

RAT said:

I'm trying to understand how someone could think it's impossible for someone to be both a cadet and a pilot in the same calendar year. In 2654 Blair and his friends become active duty field cadets. Later in 2654, they become full fledged pilots. There are some things in Wing Commander that aren't automatically obvious. This isn't one of those things.

RAT said:
In WCA we must loock at storyline - not on fighter. WCA - fighter "cocktail". It take wc1-wc4 fighter craft and some unidentifikation craft.

What is the point of saying this? Whatever it is, it doesn't matter, because Academy does not randomly pull fighters from the future and bring them into 2654. The creators of WCA very carefully only used fighters that are not new in their respective games. That's why you see virtually all WC3 fighters, except for the Thunderbolt and Excalibur, which are the two new fighters in 2669. It's all very well done. There's no weird interpretation necessary.

Ае the end of WCA Blair return to academy, and Tolwin still komand Tigers claw.
In wc1 - Other commander comand tigers claw

actually, if there's one thing wondering me about the wca storyline, it is how thrakath managed to survive a nuclea explosion on top of him

Chevieblazer said:
actually, if there's one thing wondering me about the wca storyline, it is how thrakath managed to survive a nuclea explosion on top of him

USA cartoon - sukssssssss!!!!
Japan mecha anime - Forever!!!
and all!

Ugh.

Okay, for one thing, the date for the series is published in the Press Kit. That's an absolute.

Second, I'm not even sure how you think your logic even begins to work. If I graduate with my degree in June (as people are oft to do)... do I not start my job until the next year? Wing Commander Academy is the last thing Blair does before Wing Commander I -- of course they're in the same year.

I'm going to use the awful mouseover feature to explain how Academy actually works in the timeline. Please don't read it, as you're almost certainly too dumb to have any idea what I'm talking about... but someone else might want to know.

Per the press kit, 'Wing Commander Academy' actually describings something which takes place after Blair & co.'s graduation from the Naval Academy at Hilthros and Flight School at Sirius (which is seen in the first episode). The training program seen in the show is a command school for promising new offices and not part of the ordinary Academy OJT program (which Blair served on the TCS Formidable). To this end, the series mostly takes place *during* Wing Commander I, centered around (of course) the 2654 Sivar ceremony. "Red & Blue" is the exception, which place immediately before the Wing Commander movie.

Thrakhath flies away immediately after Gharal tells him to. There's a scene of this:

illflyaway.jpg

Also, "nuclear" is not a synonym for "large".

USA cartoon - sukssssssss!!!!
Japan mecha anime - Forever!!!
and all!

Hey, you managed to not answer his question *and* sound like an idiot. Good one.

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is regarding ranks. If what you say is true LOAF (And I don't doubt it), then how if the WCA episodes take place during WC1, that Blair is referred to a cadet in the series but has a commisioned rank in the game?

It's just what he's referred to while attending the command school -- note that the door of his quarters on the show says "2nd Lt. Blair" on it. (The various press material also calls the characters Second Lieutenants).

Back