still missing the turrets and such, but here we go:

Attachments

• byrd1.jpg
    byrd1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 275
  • byrd2.jpg
    byrd2.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 233
The one on the right should be the Byrd.
Stuffed if I can remember the class of the other ship off the top of my head.

The one on the *left* is a Byrd-class ship.

It's odd that you knew that they existed but not what they looked like.

Left - Manassas cruiser (info from WCA dialog's)
Right - bird class corvet (may be Achiless destroer - in WCA grafick so bad...)

Per Chain of Command, the ship on the left is a Byrd-class Reconnaissance Ship and the ship on the right is an Achilles-class Destroyer. The TCS Manassas is only partially seen in the episode. Both hulls are later used as transports in other episodes.

Per the script of the episode, the ship is *Byrd* class, not *Bird* class. It's named after Rear Admiral Richard Byrd, a famous explorer.

funny, that corvette is bigger than a destroyer.

i was more aiming at a small stealth craft(not stealth like in dragon/strakha) but with a low sensor profile.
this thing is a cruiser size vessel

i knew they existed, yes, but...

the ship fleet tactics shows as a byrd was clearly one of the transports mav and maniac used to ambush the strakha, which was why i figured it couldn't be a recon corvette.
so i took the general appearance with the two sideward hull tubes and merged it with the known appearance of wc1 corvettes-hence the venture-like cockpit and the wings.

perhaps these renders give a better image:

Attachments

• byrd1.jpg
    byrd1.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 186
  • byrd2.jpg
    byrd2.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 178
no, but you can get a fairly good idea from the ship's features.
the byrd fram wca has several rows of windows on the bow section, meaning it has AT LEAST 3 decks, plus it has a bridge tower.

corvette size vessels however usually still have a cockpit more than a bridge, see the ventures(I+II) or the kamekh

corvette size vessels however usually still have a cockpit more than a bridge, see the ventures(I+II) or the kamekh

I don't think there's more than one Venture. Kamekh do have a smaller crew, but they do have a traditional bridge (we see it on WCA)... and, of course, the pattern doesn't hold up through Wing Commander III, where the Kilrathi corvette clearly has multiple decks.

(The other fallacy, of course, is that the Byrd-class has to be a corvette. It's the Byrd-class Reconnaissance Ship, not the Byrd-class Corvette.)

I think you must see WCA again...
Left - Manassas
Right - Bird or Achilles
give me 2-3 days - and yor get alpha-demo mission whith all ship from WCA and WCM

ep6fleet.jpg

The line that goes with this scene: "... carrier Trafalgar, light cruiser Manassas, three Achilles-class destroyers and two Byrd-class recon ships."

The Achilles-class destroyers are the three ships in the center, which are the ships on the right in the picture above.

The Byrd-class recon ships are the two ships at the bottom, which are the ships on the left in the picture above.

The third ship, above the carrier, is the TCS Manassas. It's never seen in detail.

(I own labeled cels of both ships - I'm absolutely certain that the one on the left is a Byrd and the one on the right is an Achilles.)

Last edited by a moderator:
RAT said:
I think you must see WCA again...

What an odd thing to say. Thousands and thousands of Wing Commander fans wouldn't even know what Academy was if LOAF didn't meticulously record and encode the series for you all.

this pic is even weirder, since the manassas cruiser is smaller than the destroyers in it.

also, i intentionally left out wc3, because wc3 designs have about as much in common with the other ones of the universe as they have with freespace, with the possible exception of the movie ones, but at least they have a lot in common with the sl/fl ships

Smaller or *further away*. It's very hard to judge distance from a two dimensional picture (of something without any sort of horizon).

If we are use name and class "Bird" from WCA we mast use WCA geometry model.
WCA painting is so bad (anime mecha forever :) ) but Manassas class cruiser we see it episode of women admiral trap and in episode of idiot hornet supervarior. Twise its class name we heal in speek betwen Tolwen and oficers.
Bird class corvet geometry identikal with Achilles class destroer. Change is minimal. And in the episode with Hospital ship we see strange "Fighter transport" look like Bird ckass corvet with attachet hangar.

Back