WC Prophecy: Videos run too fast on AthlonXP

S.Hachinger

Spaceman
Hi!

I have a prolem with the videos in WC Prophecy: After I upgraded my PC (now it's an AthlonXP 1800+), the videos are played so fast that one doesn't understand or see anything useful. Any suggestions? I have a kt266a mainboard based on a via chipset, if this helps.

Cheers,

Stephan

VIA chipsets have never helped anything. ;)

Go to run > dxdiag. There, disable hardware acceleration for your Sound Card.

thx, now it works :)

Via chipsets are absolutely cool except you don't mount a fan on them *g*. No, seriously: I'm quite satisfied with mine.

Cheers,

Stephan

I've had the same problem, but when I disable the hardware accelleration and go to play the test movie, my pc crashes. Have any other ideas...

thanks in advance.

No, not really :(. Does your machine crash when playing around with dxdiag??? Maybe reinstalling directx would help. Anyone else out there with better ideas ;) ??

I have this problem too:

Athlon XP 1600+
512mb DDR RAM
ATI Radeon 64mb DDR
Windows XP Professional

Videos run way too fast!!

I'm gonna try a new video driver and see if it helps...

Run Dxdiag, then go to the sound tab, and then reducethe hardware acceleration one step. Then try the game and if it still doesn't work, repeat the process reducing one step further until it works. On my machine the best setting is "basic acceleration", but might be different with other hardware & drivers. Changing this setting has solved my "video too quick" type of problem on all my old games (same setting for all).

As for crash, WCP isn't compatible "out-of-the-box" with WinNT/2k/XP. If you have Win2k, you must download and use the WCP-Win2k patch. If you have WinXP, you'd better not use the patch and use a compatibility setting instead: Right-click on the shortcut you use to launch the game, go to the "compatibility" tab and check the checkbox. Select Win98. Should work, it works for me just fine.

It doesn't help re-installing directX- And I already tried stepping it down, at one point I get a funny message about memory when I start (And I have 512 mb of mem so thats not it). With HCL's movie player I can view the movies fine.... Whell, I guess I just go buy a audio board to put in, any suggestions about good ones...? Oh, and I tried the compadablility wizard for win XP, that didn't help either...

Hi!

I'd recommend to you waiting a little time with purchasing a new audio board as I've ordered a new SB, and so I will be able to tell you if this helps in about four days.

Cheers,

Stephan

Hi!

OK, I've bought this new sound card (an original SB 5.1) and it helps... NOTHING at all. It only makes the situation worse because it has somehow optimized PCI transfer and so the movies get even faster.

Maybe this's VIA's fault, maybe just the game programmers' who haven't thought of processors running this fast... but we will see if via will release another 4in1 driver bugfix which will fix this. Or is there anybody out there who can tell us that this bug also appears on pure intel/amd chipset based mainboards?

Cheers,

Stephan

The whole Live series has 'issues' with the PCI bus usage, but VIA does a particularly bad job. You should be able to do the dxdiag trick. If it crashes your computer, something else could be wrong (DirectX, Windows,...).

My advice though : stay away from VIA. Both their North and Southbridges are fundamentally flawed.

The computer didn't crash, but with the new combination of sb5.1 and KT266A, the videos ran paticularly fast *grin*. Hmm, apart from that, I have no problems with my chipset.... except that linux sometimes detects an chipset error and says that it restores the chip configuration when doing IDE transfers :)...

Hmm, but is there really nobody out there who has the same problem (videos run too fast) on a intel/AMD-chipset-based machine??

Cheers,

Stephan

I ended up going to EA's Tech Support and filled out a form, It might not help but I thought I'd try anyway, I'll tell you all what they said when I get the reply...:)

*If you have problems with the movies (i.e. skipping movies)*
Try disabling the sound aceleration in DirectX sound section

From FAQ

It worked for me.

i think i solved the problem

hi,

i had the same problem.
my system configuration was:

amd duron 600
gigabyte mainboard with VIA KT133 (sound onboard, but deactive)
geforce 3 ti 200
sound blaster live! value

then i activated the onboard soundchip (via)
and deactivated the soundblaster live!, and it
works fine, but the problem isnt solved jet.
sometimes, when he has to play long videos,
this problem comes up again, but only one time
he jumps, then it works fine for, hmm, maybe 3 min.

i think this problem is because of the combination
of via kt133 and sb live! (maybe the via 4 in 1 drivers)

i hope this helps some of you.

cu

florian engelhardt | germany

Back