WC Prophecy Problem in XP

Viper61

Spaceman
I'll post my prophecy problem again:

I currently bought a new 1.9GHz P4 with a Nvidia Geforce 3 graphics card running windows XP and the Kilrathi Saga runs great, but prophecy's movies are too fast. They jump and skip ahead. Any tips?

I've tried disabling the sound acceleration to no avail then there was a tip on putting something (sound card?) into Win95 compatability mode. WildWeasel suggested how to accomplish this but he said click on the shortcut, but the shortcut to what? Is this the sound card?

Thanks

What sound card do you have? If your using a SBLive card you could go to CL website and download the XP updates. But I doubt it will fix the problem CL LW3 and DirectX 8.x have a compartilbty problem which CL never fix.

If you have a Audigy card download the XP updates. Disabling the sound acelleration will work after the updates. Any other sound card update the drivers.

I have the SBLive! sound card with the XP drivers already loaded on it. Also, WildWeasel said something about the Compatibility be set to Win95 mode. I'll try this but I don't know what is set to this mode or how to set it (see previous post)

From the sound of it, I may be SOL with this problem.

Thanks

Well, try disabling DirectX sound acceleration first. You'll need to run DxDiag.lnk (usually found in the C:\Program Files\DirectX\Setup\ folder) and then tab over to Sound.

If that doesn't work, then you can try your luck with XP's compatability modes. To do this, right-click on Prophecy's shortcut. There should be one on your desktop. If not, you can create one. Then just follow the instructions I gave earlier.

Right-click on the shortcut, select Properties, tab over to Compatibility, enable it, and change it to Windows 95.

Originally posted by WildWeasel
Well, try disabling DirectX sound acceleration first. You'll need to run DxDiag.lnk (usually found in the C:\Program Files\DirectX\Setup\ folder) and then tab over to Sound.

If that doesn't work, then you can try your luck with XP's compatability modes. To do this, right-click on Prophecy's shortcut. There should be one on your desktop. If not, you can create one. Then just follow the instructions I gave earlier.

Thanks, I've tried the sound acceleration and I'll give the compatibility mode a shot.

EDIT:

Okay tried both and was somewhat successful. Do oyu think the fact that I'm using a DVD-ROM as my CD drive would cause a problem?

Here's the breakdown:
Both my DVD and CD-RW Drives dod the same thing-
I disabled the sound acceleration. Switching compatibility to Win95 and 98 mode and it sort of worked. Instead of too fast now the movies halt and stop for a bit, I feel like I'm trying to play WC3 on my old 100 MHz Packaged Hell! :) Also everynow and then it would lock up my computer.

Anymore suggestions?

Thanks

Sorry Viper, your just out of luck. SBLive and WCP don't work together. You either get a new sound card or don't play this game. Or you can dual boot with Win98 and use DirectX 7.1. Don't use DirectX 8.x than you can play WCP. XP comes with DirectX 8.1 built in.

Originally posted by Johnl12
Sorry Viper, your just out of luck. SBLive and WCP don't work together. You either get a new sound card or don't play this game. Or you can dual boot with Win98 and use DirectX 7.1. Don't use DirectX 8.x than you can play WCP. XP comes with DirectX 8.1 built in.

Gotcha, thx anyway

Originally posted by Johnl12

Don't know if you're running XP or not, but does XP need DirectX 8.1 for anything? I know that a few programs that I have need it, but don't know about the operating system itself.

And hold on, I thought the really good thing about DirectX was that it was retoractively compatible? What gives?

C-ya

I spoke too soon, the KS doesn't run correctly. WC1 and WC2 will start up and run the opening scene, but then when I get to choose to start another game or continue an old one, it closes down WC and brings me back to the main branch option box (play wing 1, wing2, etc). any suggestions?

Originally posted by Viper61
I'll post my prophecy problem again:

I currently bought a new 1.9GHz P4 with a Nvidia Geforce 3 graphics card running windows XP and the Kilrathi Saga runs great, but prophecy's movies are too fast. They jump and skip ahead. Any tips?

I've tried disabling the sound acceleration to no avail then there was a tip on putting something (sound card?) into Win95 compatability mode. WildWeasel suggested how to accomplish this but he said click on the shortcut, but the shortcut to what? Is this the sound card?

Thanks

Try this

it's a compatibility fixerthingie with lotsa neat-o stuff. It also includes some support for wc3/4 and a shitload of older games. Don't know if it will help, but ya never know...

Back