WC on GBA?

Do you think its a good idea? Would you buy a copy if it was made?

• Great idea! I have a GBA and I'd definately buy it .

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Great idea! I'd buy a GBA just for this game.

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • Good idea.....but I would'nt pay for it.

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Stupid idea.......lay off the drugs, weirdo....

Votes: 10 25.0%

• Total voters

Manboy

Rear Admiral
* I was bored and felt the need to do something, this was it *

I recently bought a Game Boy Advance and so far im impressed with what the little portable can do. Its like a little PSone minus the 3D chip. A nearly perfect conversion of Doom has just been released and it got me thinking......If it can handle games made for a 486 , why not games made for a 386? Obviously I'm talking about a conversion of WC1 or 2. Or better yet , a completely new WC game set in that era specifcally for the GBA.
Here are a few points and ideas to make to make the whole thing easier to swallow. ( just use your imagination )

GRAPHICS: Although theres no denying that the graphics would be better with the Mode7 scaling and thousands of colours that the GBA can produce , I just dont think it would be a huge leap from WC2 graphically.
Thats the main reason why I think that game should be set in that era , besides it would be excellent to kick some fur-ball ass again. Also dont be fooled by the size , it can deliver visibly detailed games.

SOUND AND MUSIC: The GBA has a capable sound chip that could easily reproduce and better the sound effects and music in WC2.....Who knows, maybe the Fatman could compose the soundtrack.....

CONTROLS: As most of you know the GBA doesnt have alot of buttons .....4 action buttons and the Start and Select keys. I know it's a small amount but I've given this a bit of thought and have come up with a contol scheme that includes all the neccesary features to fly a fighter including comm systems , navigation , weapon select and targeting . Dont worry , I'm not going to bore you with the details.

GAMEPLAY: As they say " If it aint broke , dont fix it ". It should play like the games we know and love . But due to it being on a small portable console the missions should be more fast , furious and chaotic ( not saying WC2 isn't ). By that I mean faster dogfights with lots of fireworks.....

INTERACTIVE CARRIER: * I originaly had this idea when I was thinking of features that would be cool if Origin had included it in Prophecy. Obviously Ive had to tone it down a bit for the GBA but the fundamentals remain the same *

While the spaceflight missions are the most important part of any WC game , story plays a major part in the series.
After you have completed a mission , instead of looking at static backgrouds like in previous WC games and clicking on hotspots to initiate conversation , I thought it would be alot more interactive and fun if you could take control of your character adventure-game style and walk around the carrier at will. The whole carrier could be like a mini-adventure game where you could talk to people who are also doing there own thing , look at the killboard , play the simulator and other games. Not only would there be pilots walking around but there would also be the staff that live in and maintain the ship to talk to.
You could talk to anyone you want , although not all of them would advance the story at least theyre there to make the ship feel alive and intersesting. Conversations would have multiple paths like in WC3 and WC4 and would affect morale if you made the wrong choices , even effecting major story points ( thats not as hard as it sounds , since it would all be in text ). This is just the tip of the iceberg , theres so much possible.... Imagine this idea in the next WC game , fully 3D.....

STORY: For the first time in a WC game , I think it would be cool if the story had nothing to do with Blair ( not that he wouldnt have a cameo ).
This has so much potential......I'm no story writer but I think It would be amazing to be a new character on another ship , in a story that runs parallel to the events during WC1 or WC2 depending on the original story timeline. Think of Half Life and its add-on packs Opposing force and Blue shift , how their stories intertwine with each other. Imagine this but in the WC universe .
Wouldnt you love to come across Blair doing his thing while your on a routine patrol? The possiblities are endless.

Well thats it I guess. Theres alot more I could write....but it would just be boring drivel. (moreso)
So what do you guys think? Got any ideas that would make this pale in comparison?
Maybe if EA get a hold of some of our ideas they might ....you know.....

PS: I've got a very boring day job so that gives me alot time to think about shit....this was todays thought. And yes I DO have a life....:)

Maybe the new character could be a smartass, cocky sumbitch which has the option of telling people to **** off, even top brass, or something. Ever wondered what it would be like to play as the guy that gets nothing but patrols because of his mouth?

My question is... why?

The SNES barely pulled off WC1 as and SM1 as it is. The controls would be extremely limited. You'd need to accelerate and decelerate using two single buttons, you need to use guns and missiles using two single buttons. Then, there's afts, which would probably require a button combination, autopiloting which would require even MORE buttons, and switching weapons and missiles, targeting, AND cycling through your VDUs on both sides of the craft.

It could work to an extent... but IMHO, the controls would be horrendous (too few buttons). I don't know what the storage space on a GBA cart is, so I can't comment on the size of a WC game that might take place on it.

A WC game on GBA would be a fantastic idea, but I think there is too less space on GBA card to store stuff such as interactive carriers and hugh storyline. :) Nevertheless, if a game like this becomes available on GBA, I will buy it!

Maximum capacity of a GBA catridge is 30MBytes (just had to enfesive it wasn't bits). Increase throttle, decrease, fire guns, fire missiles, uhoh out of buttons though :( And it still needed roll and target closest enemy to be of use.... but....
Well ala doom you could hold L and R to change throttle and to roll both using the dpad, leaving them both freefor target closest enemy and something else. Hardly intuative but not a bad compromise.
I'd definatley buy it and bet it would sell too.

The biggest problem is probably the fact that the GBA doesn't have enough buttons.

uh, guys, the snes was only 16 bit the GBA is 32 bit, the GBA would handle wc1 fine, except for the aforementioned button issues.

Except anything interesting requires expensive development time. I guess it's possible for them to port WC1/SM1 SNES to the GBA pretty easily... but, again, the buttons.

Hmm... It's possible, if you make one of the keys a modifier.

A : Fire primary
L : Target
R : Afterburner

B + A : Fire secondary
B + Arrow up : increase throttle
B + Arrow down : decrease throttle
B + L : Lock on target under reticle.
B + R : Lock slide (again to release)

Select : menu for comms, weapons, map, eject, auto-pilot.

You're right. It would work, but I think this is all just wishfull thinking.:(

EA's given up on WC. On any console.

Well if we're talking Nintendo consoles I'd rather see it hit Gamecube. It's somewhat portable, they do have a mobile monitor for it. Besides that the control would work perfectly for it.
I wouldn't mind seeing it hit Xbox either.

Why do you want a WC console game? Wouldn't you rather a PC one?

Well to be honest these days I'm a lot happier to see things on Gamecube than PC. Frankly my Geforce 2 and 700MHz wouldn't run something like rogue leader, I use a laptop to save space (Gamecube is tiny!) basically anything large is difficult to move from and back to uni/home. So for what added upto £200 I got easily the equaivalent of a 2GHz Pentium and Geforce 3.
Long live consoles I say, $200 consoles (damn those import taxes for making it £200) have saved my gaming ass as it were. Can't afford £300 graphics cards, no room for desktops anyway.

Based on the fact that all your posts are about GameCubes, I'll bet you just blew $200 on one and are trying to justify that fact. :)

Actually I blew £200 on one, and have become somewhat obsessed thanks to Rogue Leader (hey I'm a space combat fanatic and theres nothing better than taking down both deathstars in game unless its in one with the movie music recreated perfectly and over 100 of each variety of Tie coming at you at once)

Normally when I'm trying to justify one ala N64 which had a poor launch, I buy one or two games and then go there'll be more. Right now I'm going, how did I let myself spend £200 on games on a budget of £30 a week :p

Your computer being too slow is not really a good reason for having a WC game released on console instead of PC. <G>

GBA is a neat little thing, with lots of features, like multiplayer.

Just so you all know, console systems derived their name from the fact that they rest atop the Television Console. Therefore, because the GBA is not a set-top box, it is also not a console. Instead it is classified as a handheld.

So everyone who called the GBA a console - quit it, you're being stupid.

No but it is a reason for me to be happier about a release on console.
For example I'm happy about the release of Star Wars Starfighter next week, I bet its better on a Geforce 3 than a PS2 but something tells me I'll be playing at the same framerate as the PS2 did, nowhere near what I got used to with RL *sigh*
If only I were in charge of games companies <G>. We'd be on Wing Commander 63 by now, but no doubt everyone would be hurling abuse at me for getting them to bring back the James Bond Jr platformer

Back