WC Novels....

lilteyang

Spaceman
I'm kinda a new WC fans, and the oldest WC game I've ever played was WCIII, so I really have no idea on the story between Angel, Hobbes, Maniac, Tolwyn, and Blair. I thought I could get get to know the story by reading the novels, but the only novels I can find that's telling the story of Blair is Heart of the Tiger and Price of Freedom. (The Pilgrim Star, WC junior novelization, and WC, the novel, seems to be related to the movie rather than the games) So I really wanna know if the two novels I mentioned above are the only ones that's telling the story of Blair? Or are there more books to find? (I hoped to get to know the story from the games themselves, so I tried to look for the Kilrathi Saga... But they cost $110 or more on eBay... to think I saw one couple years ago for $10.... T_T)
Anyways, please help me out cause I REALLY wanna get to know the story.....

I think they never released novels in europe, at least in the Netherlands. I never saw a novel in a book store, but maybe you find them somewhere, or you can order them maybe.

If you need a to know what happens before WC3, you can always watch Academy. :) It takes just before WC1. You can find the episodes in the WCA-TV section of this site or by followinng the link in my sig.

I have got in some ways the same problems.. I had luck to get the story "End Run" at an Internet Bookstore, because you do not get it here in Germany any more. I was very happy. But then: next problem: what to do with book number 5, "Prophecy"?
I don't know where I have the chance to get it. And the worst thing: Prophecy is my favourite Computergame!!!
It would not matter for me if I had to read it in English but even in English there is no chance to get it. Does anybody know an internet bookstore where I can still get it?
But my luck is: the main titles are still in sell (except Prophecy and End Run).

??? There is no Prophecy-book? Oh! It is a "german?" author called Carsten Borgmeier. He normally writes books about the ways to play a computergame through. He has written such a "technical" handbook about Prophecy,too. But this book written by him in 1998 is classified as a 'novel'.
In Germany the books have also the title Wc1 : "Freedom Flight" till WC7...and this book is number 5..with the title "Prophecy".

Ok, I found what you're talking about (wasn't easy, considering I don't speak German ;)) on Amazon.de.

You are quite correct, in that there is indeed a book called "Wing Commander 5 Prophecy", written by Carsten Borgmeier.Here is the link to its description, of which I don't understand a word.

Note that in the corner of the book's cover, it says "Clue-book" - an obvious indication that this is not a novel, but rather some sort of unofficial strategy guide. Also, if I'm correct in assuming that "seiten" means "pages", then this "book" only has 59 pages.

Finally, I cannot help but wonder what's with this weird cover... those sure as hell ain't WC fighters :).

Do the Wing Commander Novels "expand" the universe (new ships, weapons etc) ?

If anyone is interested go to amazon now as two copies of end run are being sold from azazon marketplace for $24.88!!!

Fleet Action, False Colours, Heart of the Tiger, The price of Freedom and freedom flight are in stock at the moment.

This news was accurate at the time of this posting.

To answer your question, lilteyang, yes, HotT and TPoF are the only WC novels (excluding the movie ones) about Blair. Freedom Flight is about Ian St. John. End Run, Fleet Action, and False Colors are about Jason Bondarevsky. And Action Stations is about Geoffrey Tolwyn.

Funny WC-book-related story. I always thought End Run was the hardest damn thing to find. But, as of this date, I have two copies of the novel and I could get another one pretty easily if I wanted to... Okay, that's not really funny. Sorry. ;)

I also wondered about the 59 pages ( you were correct: "seiten" mean pages). It isn't very much for a novel. If you are interested in it,I can translate the text for you. But if it is a clue-book,why is it classified as WC5 and there is even another Clue-book which was written by Borgmaier,too (I believe it was so)? The rest of the books 1-4 and 6-7 are novels? I think there were some faults made by amazon... and I have thought it was a book wjich was written in german.But our bookstore here in the city told me zhe book is still existing but he is not able to order it. The price was like the other novel's ones and he told me the book only exists in English!!???I don't understand this.

Please excuse the many faults (but I was in a hurry... I have to go to bed!). So if I have to write fast...my English is bad..

Originally posted by ChrisReid
The WC novels expand the WC universe very much.

Yeah, so much so that if you haven't got them, people like Earthworm have to explain everything for us. Or you get annoyed sometimes when playing the Trivia ;)

Originally posted by Manjana
I also wondered about the 59 pages ( you were correct: "seiten" mean pages). It isn't very much for a novel. If you are interested in it,I can translate the text for you.
If you want, though it seems obvious that this is really nothing more than yet another guide.

But if it is a clue-book,why is it classified as WC5 and there is even another Clue-book which was written by Borgmaier,too (I believe it was so)? [...] The price was like the other novel's ones and he told me the book only exists in English!!???I don't understand this.
I have no idea... book sellers do all sorts of weird things. I mean, there are some online stores which still sell the official guide to Privateer 3 - and neither the game, nor the guide ever existed :).

Technically since it was a semi sequel to main wing commander campaign games. with blairs last appearance, the game prophecy is wing commander five . Wing commander 1, wing commander 2: vengence of the kilrathi, wing commander 3: heart of the tiger, wing commander: price of freedom, Wing Commander 5:prophecy. Armada, privateer 1,2, and academy are games that are more like side elements rather the main line of games.

I think this is what the strategy guide means, it is probably a book similer to the wing commander armada strat guide that just has about 60 pages and tells a few strategies. Also the book is not released by baen books, but by a different company another dead give away of it's non novel status.

Back