WC Movie Canonity

Bob McDob

Better Health Through Less Flavor
Heheh...you knew it'd return... >:}

Originally posted by RocketGirl at :)SB.com

It doesn't answer anything at all. The novelizations of the Star Wars movies are not cannon, the movies themselves are. Tolwyn having a blonde mustache--and later a grey one--is explainable by age.
Picard being played by an actor who isn't French means nothing in terms of who the character is, especially since there isn't another version of Picard for him to live up to.
But here's the thing: Paladin was Scotish in the games. Even John Rhys-Davies attempted to affect a Scotish accent...a little. But in the movie, Paladin was clearly French. Now, I don't care if they decided to get a French actor to play him as long as he plays the character Scotish. The actor doesn't matter, it's the character that matters.
I mean, Mel Gibson is an American who grew up in Australia, yet in Braveheart he put on a Scotish accent and Scotish clothing and did his best to be as Scotish as he knew how. But in the Wing Commander movie, they made no effort to keep their characters at all the same. There's no internal consistency at all.

Explain.

While you're at it folks, it would be much appreciated if you'd clear up Angel's accent. Thank you. :)

i hear these discussions all the time and what surprises me each time is that everyone tries to tie the games and movie together in an attempt to make them consistent. most movies based on a tv series or game or whatever dont always necessarily intend to make the film consistent with the "fan universe" from which it came. bottom line = i dont think the writer of WCM or chris roberts himself intended to make the film consistent with the wing commander universe in every aspect. look at the kilrathi.... they didnt even attempt to make them look as they did in the games, its the same with the ships in the movie and blair being a pilgrim. i dont think it was a big deal to the creators that paladin was french and angel was english.... it doesnt matter, those are the actors they could get and didnt matter to the filmakers what their accent was. it was a good movie and i dont think little things like this should be picked at all the time. it may have been disappointing to some but i dont think it is a big deal.

hmmm movie...

I find it strange.... but oh well, it's just a movie... I guess it could possibly diminish the quality of the film... but only if it was intended to be another chapter with the games... if it was just a venture into new territory, sort of an expiriment to add new life to the wing commander name, a stand alone pice of work, then I think it probobaly doesn't matter too much... it still kind of pisses me off though lol

It wouldn't have been so bad if there was a definite sequel ahead, the ending just wasn't good enough and left me thinking...what happens next? This can't be it! Other than the ending, it was a good flick.:)

Thank you, Bob McDob, for reminding me of the true meaning of Christmas! SpaceBattles will run red with their blood... <G>

I will find that person. And then I will kill them.

::tears his own hair out in frustration::

Spacebattles?

What is Spacebattles, a web site, a game, or another chat zone? I have heard it mentioned here before but never asked.

Hehheh...I'm gonna see if I can post a Wing Commander vs. everybody topic on their versus forum!:D

Anybody wanting to add to my argument is welcome.

The novelizations of the Star Wars movies are not cannon
Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.
"Forward, the Light Brigade!
"Charge for the guns!" he said:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

"Forward, the Light Brigade!"
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Someone had blunder'd:
Their's not to make reply,
Their's not to reason why,
Their's but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
Rode the six hundred.

Flash'd all their sabres bare,
Flash'd as they turn'd in air,
Sabring the gunners there,
Charging an army, while
All the world wonder'd:
Plunged in the battery-smoke
Right thro' the line they broke;
Cossack and Russian
Reel'd from the sabre stroke
Shatter'd and sunder'd.
Then they rode back, but not
Not the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon behind them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
While horse and hero fell,
They that had fought so well
Came thro' the jaws of Death
Back from the mouth of Hell,
All that was left of them,
Left of six hundred.

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All the world wondered.
Honor the charge they made,
Honor the Light Brigade,
Noble six hundred.

Quoting people from SpaceBattles for any other purpose than mocking them is about as smart as splitting your own skull open with a brick.

I think I need to upgrade my Explorer because every time I try to read a topic on SpaceBattles, my Internet shuts down from a, I think, driver error. Can someone help me out with what those guys are saying in my topic? It would be much appreciated.

While we're on the topic, might as well ask who this "Admiral Gerald" who Tolwyn lists as commanding the Tigers Claw is. And who the hell is Jay? :p

Back