WC Model Kits

Klavs81

Rear Admiral
Got this email from Fantastic Plastic. Interesting stuff. I have no way to afford any of this, but here are the numbers. A couple of other companies have also responded with similar numbers, but this gentleman seemed most interested.

Anybody want to organize a donation program? I'll provide the 3d work, given most of my models are 3d printing ready already.

-Klavs

[Klavs,]

I'm a long-time WC fan from way back, and would personally love to see a line of kits based on these classic ships. Of course, numerous franchises -- must larger franchises -- have come along since with equally awesome air and spacecraft, so I do wonder what the market for these "old-timey" designs would be.
In any case, here is the cost breakdown for the kind of kit you're talking about:
CAD - $600-$1000.
Printing - $1,000.
Molds - $600-$800.
Castings - $30-$50 each.
Add it all up, and you need about $5,000 to produce 50 kits.
It's something we can discuss -- but I have a pretty full plate already.
Allen B. Ury

Fantastic Plastic models

So, at 50 kits the price is about 5000... or about 100 dollars per unit? Would we get to see the product before manufacture? And I assume that if we had more than 50 people the price per unit goes down?

Sounds like it would be good for a kick starter.

I could try setting up a kick starter for an initial run but we need to sort out what to do if we get too many people donating or more money than we are asking for. Also:

What will be the scale of the kits (1/72, 1/48)?

What kit will be made (Hellcat, Rapier)?

What is the cost of producing multiple runs of a kit (I assume that once the molds are made you only have to pay the casting costs)?

I assume this is all non profit but we should consider the legal rights to make kits from the wing commander IP.

I would definitely like to make this happen. I'm a big fan of your work and would love to get some quality wing commander kits on my shelf.

What will be the scale of the kits (1/72, 1/48)?

Scales on these ships are a bit weird, even the 'small' 1/72 arrow scales down to about 9 inches long. It's still a LOT bigger than a 1/72 F-16. 1/144 is probably better for a small desktop display model (about 4-6 inches, about the same size and scale as the 3d prints are now)

What kit will be made (Hellcat, Rapier)?

I'd say a poll is probably in order. I'll start a new thread.

What is the cost of producing multiple runs of a kit (I assume that once the molds are made you only have to pay the casting costs)?

As above, castings are $30-$50 a piece. Actually, this is kind of the break even point for resin casting vs on demand.

I assume this is all non profit but we should consider the legal rights to make kits from the wing commander IP.

All of my designs are 'inspired by', not taken directly from the game models, and I'm trying to keep goodwill by pricing things at cost for the community. I have two other day jobs, I don't need to be making money off of wingnuts, too!

I would definitely like to make this happen. I'm a big fan of your work and would love to get some quality wing commander kits on my shelf.

Okay wingnuts, put me to work. Which one of Klavs' ships would you most like to see in a 1/72 scale kit? We're talking cockpit, pilots, decals, landing gear, missile bays, ordnance. You pick it, I'll do a full remodel of it as a dedicated kit and we'll see about getting it done either as a 3d printed design optimized for kit building (as thin of walls as I can make, little modeling connector nubbins, etc.)

Choices are:

WC1: Hornet, Rapier, Raptor, Scimitar - Salthi, Dralthi, Jalthi, Krant, Gratha, Hhriss.

WC2: Ferret, Epee, Sabre, Broadsword, Morningstar, Super Rapier (SWC Version) - Sartha, Drakhri, Grikath, Jalkhei,

WC3: Arrow IV (Armada Version with 2 lasers), Arrow V, Hellcat, Excalibur - Dralthi IV

Hmm, no Rapier-G.

Ok, Sabre is 1st choice and 2nd the Raptor. I'd pick the Broadsword but the size makes me consider budgetary constraints.

Just to be clear, and rapier kit would be a combo of the wc-1/wc-2 versions of my rapier. So you'd be able to mount your lasers on either the wings or the front canards. Along with other subtle changes.

Just to be clear, any rapier kit would be a combo of the wc-1/wc-2 versions of my rapier. So you'd be able to mount your lasers on either the wings or the front canards. Along with other subtle changes.
How would that work exactly? The look of the chassis is almost completely different with the G vs the A variant seen in WC1.

wc1rapier4.gif

wc2rapier4.gif

A Rapier kit would essentially be two different looking ships. Sold! (is what I'd like to say but must check affordability.)

Last edited by a moderator:
9.jpg
I meant that you'd get parts for a kit that could be either of the two ships on the left. The right hand ship (YF-44A) would probably have to be a separate ship.

Last edited:
The F-44G I say. The evolution of my favorite superiority fighter from WC2 steeped in the past of WC1. Also helps I loved it in Standoff. Vatari can't stop me in a Rapier-G.

An interesting one would be the Scimitar...IMHO. The one from the blueprints. Despite its reputation for suckelage.

I'd lean towards some of the starter ships... Hornet or Ferret... or possibly some of the iconic heavy hitters like the Broadsword or Excalibur.

Back