Wc, Bg, Saab

Matt Nelson

Lieutenant Commander
I have been watching WC, Battlestar Galactia, and Space Above and Beyond this week end. Certain characters seem to be the same type in all 3 series such as Blair is to Apollo is to McQueen. Maybe I have been watching too much space opera lately.

Matt Nelson
Blacklance HQs

There's always a strong-willed, leader type in the story, as there's always the fun wildcard character. We see this is Luke and Han, Blair and Maniac, etc.

I liked the pilot of space above and beyond, the show got weirder as it went on.
You have to have good character interation, this is very important among the lead characters. Blair and maniac from WC3, and WC4 were great they did a good job, I wanted more from WCP. I don't remember the interaction between Space Above and Beyond, besides a badass pilot who couldn't fly anymore, and they guy with the big ears and the girl who were badass pilots. Luke and Han were another great example (something that the new SW movies haven't done is the interaction between characters, gotta love Harrison for Han).
Lack of good interaction is one of the reasons some of the ST series have strugged, they never captured the original trio (Kirk, Spock, and McCoy).
And you can't forget about the original Starbuck, he was one of the best things about Battlestar Galactica.

I have asked this once before and I will now ask it again, were they supposed to be fighter pilots or ground troops? It would make no sense whatsoever to have extremely valuable highly trained pilots walking around stepping on landmines.

you know McGruff, that's a good point. I never thought about that.

As far as Character Development in SaaB goes, I thought it was decent. nothing outstanding, but decent. watching the characters (some of whom couldn't stand eachother at all at first) form a cohesive unit was entertaining. there was limited continuity (Pags payback!), I like continuity. :)

I thought SAaB got a *lot* more stable as the show matured (... in its single season). It went from a lot of X-Files inspired "the evil government is making evil robots do evil space things!" to some serious war drama towards the end.

I think they cancelled it because it was (at the time) the most expensive TV series ever made... and it wasn't drawing in close to the audience they'd hoped for.

Bandit LOAF said:
I think they cancelled it because it was (at the time) the most expensive TV series ever made... and it wasn't drawing in close to the audience they'd hoped for.

Well, it seemed that Fox didn't give them much of a chance anyways. I mean, just about every time I tried to watch it when it first aired, it was pre-empted for some other program or some crap. :-(

It might have been an expensive series, but that 1:1 fighter they've builted was the coolest thing ;)

It must be true, but to me it seems like a cheap production. Really!
The backgrounds seem to me like garage interior scenes (gypsum walls as space ship sets...). I wonder me where is the main budget flown?

And it seems to me unintentionally funny, IMHO (the Introduction of the series, the narrating speaker, the ridiculous story).

As I heard from it first time, I thought, it would be a nice Wing Commanderish TV series, but it wasn't... :(

The CGI is what made it so expensive. Yeah, the sets look cheap in this day and age (has anyone noticed how sci-fi shows suddenly went from cheap-but-stylish to movie quality in the span of 4 years?) but for what it's worth the military isn't known for making the most astheticly pleasing enviroments ever.

I just think the show never really reached the potential it should have - it's silly to compare, but I'm still waiting for someone to make a sci-fi show with the drama and weight of Band Of Brothers or even Cross Of Iron. Too many of them are too Space Opera.

Speaking of Sci-Fi shows, one of my favs is coming back for a mini-series FARSCAPE, I avoided it when it was first aired due to how it looked. Then I started watching it and it had some of the most humorous show episodes I ever saw, and the characters interacted really well (they had alot of fun making it, you an tell).

Sorry to hyjack lol, just didn't want to start a new thread that wouldn't go anywhere.

Back