WC Armada Angers

GAdRS

Spaceman
I'm trying to play Armada on my new computer, a 500MHZ PentiumIII Win98 computer, and I can't do it. I believe that my problem is the EMS memory that is required, because I can make the 560 of base that I need. How can I enable EMS memory for my computer?

You have to call emm386.exe in your config.sys. Post your configuration files here so we can have a look.

AUTOEXEC.BAT:

LOADHIGH C:\CDROM\MSCDEX.EXE /D:CD1
@ECHO OFF
REM [Header]
@ECHO OFF
REM [CD-ROM Drive]
REM [Miscellaneous]
REM [Display]
REM Environment Settings For McAfee VirusScan
PATH C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~5;%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\NETWOR~1\MCAFEE~1
SET MSINPUT=C:\MSINPUT
@SET CLASSPATH=C:\PROGRA~1\PHOTOD~1.0\ADOBEC~1

CONFIG.SYS:

Buffers=30
REM [Header]
REM == PISETUP Begin Delete ==
REM == PISETUP End Delete ==
REM [CD-ROM Drive]
REM [Miscellaneous]
REM [Display]
LASTDRIVE=Z
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:CD1
FILES=50

Informative, aren't they? Welp, that's Microsoft for ya - just leave it to them to ruin everything you thought you knew - I used to make boot disks for all my friends because I knew these 2 files forwards and backwards, but now....I used to work with emm386 all the time, working with EMS, but on this newfangled thing that has DOS in a stranglehold, I don't know what to do.

Okay, no problem.

Just add the following lines at the beginning of your config.sys:

DEVICE=C:\Windows\Himem.sys
DEVICE=C:\Windows\EMM386.EXE RAM

Great! EMS memory is now enabled! But there's one more bugger:

EMS driver is not VCPI compliant.

Hoo boy.....what now?

hmm

If I didn't know better, I'd say you were trying to run this through Windows; but that can't be....

GAdRS Armada dont run in windows, okay in dos yes, not in windows, never will do, al the posts that it will are bollocks as it cannot (its to do with the code if you're a programmer you could change it, and wed all bow down to you, but until then , its a no-go

Actually, I think what we might need is for someone to get a n EMS driver that is VCPI compliant. Sure, it might mess up Windows, but Windows messes up Windows. I've been trying to play this Gar-sodding game for more than three years. What you really need is DOS 5.0 and a 100-Mhz computer excusively for this game. And the frickin' patch--the one that gives you passwords so you don't have to complete the gauntlet all in one go--always messed up my joystick. IS it possible to run this under the DOS version of '98?

the game will run on any pc going, i have run it on a 486 up to a p900 and it works fine on them all, but it must be in dos, otherwise it dont work

Windows is the only place I know to run it in. In DOS, I can't satisfy the memory requirements, but if I mess with the Properties of the EXE file, I can make it right. It requires some 560K of Base Memory, and in DOS I don't know how to modify this. The vast majority of my memory is in XMS, and I know how to change the EMS section (with just RAM after the command, it makes 32MB, that was too much, so I tried chopping it down to 8MB, no help). How can I move some XMS memory to Base memory?

Normally, I seem to remember that to get more base memory, you had to tear some stuff out of autoexec.bat and config.sys through a boot disk. But there's practically nothing in either of those files.

Don't run it in Windows. You can't. Best you can do is use the configuration with the lines I gave you to play it in pure DOS, either with a bootdisk or a DOS-mode shortcut.

same problem with wc4

i've got the same problem with wc4, error EMS driver is not VCPI compliant
i tried to run under xp with a dos emulator the dos box.... cause in pure dos mode (win98) my joystick doesn't work.....

thanx now it works... but finished the game in two nights....

now i have a new problem with wc prohpecy.
the video sequences look like fast forward...

i tried a cpu break and cd rom break but that didn't work....

Set the sound acceleration of your soundcard to none in DXDiag as stated in THOUSANDS of other tech support messages

Back