WC 1 Secret Mission 1 Intro

Only the SNES version of Secret Missions 1 had this intro video.

On the PC neither SM 1 nor SM2 did have an intro. You always start in the Bar. And since there was no Secret Missions 2 for SNES there is also no intro for that.

i know that there is no intro for the pc versions. i did not know however, that there was no SM 2 for SNES.

thanx

Only WC1 & SM1 were produced for the SNES. WC2 was also made, but never mass produced and sold.

The SNES SM1 intro is a great great thing. War Hammer XII and the Graviton Weapon!

Of course, but up until an hour ago, I didn't know someone had digitized it, and I don't know how to integrate it into Holovids myself.

They're less detailed on the SNES than PC, which might create that effect. The Kilrathi look pretty buff, though.

I particularly like the sound here... cool tune, and Gilkarg has a great 16-bit laugh. I was wondering if the Fat Man worked on it, but going by the credits on MobyGames it was someone name Sam Powell.

However, I'm pretty sure the music doesn't cut out during the actual intro like it does in this vid. Recording mistake, or editing? I dunno.

@ chris: is it just the problem, that you cannot extract the moviefile from youtube?

if this is case, you could use a firefox plugin called "download helper", it scans automatically for moviefiles, when viewing one.

Yes, the characters look "stretched" vertically. Also their skin tones are different.

And there is a lot less detail in the rooms itself. That I always found strange, since the Sega version is a closer match to the PC graphics, while AFAIK the SNES had superior graphics.

The extra intro reminds me a bit of the "wing commander 2 teaser" with graphics that never made it into the game. But this was possibly developed during thesame period.

is it just the problem, that you cannot extract the moviefile from youtube?
I doubt it. I think Chris is talking about managing the Holovids section of the site.

I never understood the point of so-called YT downloaders. It's not that hard to grab the Flash video file from a browser's cache.

Yeah, I've never bothered, but I know people on the staff grab youtube videos all the time. I don't know whether or not any of them have seen this thread. If we did take it and repost it, we'd have to see if there's an audio glitch, so we might be better off digitizing it ourselves. There's a long to-do list of stuff like that.

I dont think that there is an audio glitch. the sound is still running, because at the end you can hear the admiral laugh.

Wow, I never played the SNES version. Compared to the PC version, that launch sequence was horrible. What happened to the frantic dashing of pilots, the pilot putting his helmet on as techs frantically readied his ship, the thrill of the shooting down the catapult tube (borrowed from Battlestar Galactica, but none the worse for wear), and, of course, Atomic Batteries to Power and Turbines to Speed? Instead, you get some lame shot of a Hornet coming up an elevator and then maneuvering off a flight deck...

Also, did I imagine it, or did the conversation with Bossman imply that the Gwenhyvar was a VENTURE class ship? That certainly would have made the Gwenhyvar mission much easier! Ventures don't carry Rapiers!

Speaking of which, I've never understood why Halcyon puts you in a Hornet because he wants you in "our fastest ship". Didn't the Claw have a Rapier squadron by then? Is the Hornet's cruise velocity higher than the Rapier's? Or with this just an oversight by the game designers who wanted to force us to fly at least a couple of missions in the little Hornet?

Farbourne said:
Speaking of which, I've never understood why Halcyon puts you in a Hornet because he wants you in "our fastest ship". Didn't the Claw have a Rapier squadron by then? Is the Hornet's cruise velocity higher than the Rapier's? Or with this just an oversight by the game designers who wanted to force us to fly at least a couple of missions in the little Hornet?

The Tiger's Claw doesn't receive Rapiers until you get to fly them as an operational test with Angel in the Gimle system. The first squadron of Rapiers is assigned to the ship in Kurasawa (per Hunter's mention of them), and you get assigned to said squadron for that series.

you get some lame shot of a Hornet coming up an elevator and then maneuvering off a flight deck...

For the SNES at the time that was a 3D milestone, but it did not stand the test of time.

The Tiger's Claw doesn't receive Rapiers until you get to fly them as an operational test with Angel in the Gimle system. The first squadron of Rapiers is assigned to the ship in Kurasawa (per Hunter's mention of them), and you get assigned to said squadron for that series.

Right. So Secret Missions 1 is after Kurasawa (which is part of the main WC1 Vega Campaign). The 'Claw had a squadron of Rapiers by the time they were hurrying to assist Goddard... so why, if Halcyon needs pilots in "their fastest ships" is he sending them out in Hornets?

For the SNES at the time that was a 3D milestone, but it did not stand the test of time.

Yeah, that shot in the SNES WC1 was a "mode 7" graphics bragging point at the time.

Right. So Secret Missions 1 is after Kurasawa (which is part of the main WC1 Vega Campaign). The 'Claw had a squadron of Rapiers by the time they were hurrying to assist Goddard... so why, if Halcyon needs pilots in "their fastest ships" is he sending them out in Hornets?

This is a semantics question that can't be answered by looking at the raw in-game numbers. The "fastest ships" line sounded good, since Hornets have a reputation as very small, light and nimble ships. Aside from the speeds we can fly at, there's abstract speeds we don't really know anything about such as acceleration and "scoops closed" Newtonian mode.

Oh duh...sorry...for some reason I thought you were asking why we were flying Hornets for the first mission of WC1. My mistake.

Back