Voice acting

Falcon988

Commodore
I think it's just necessary to commend the quality of the voice acting in Standoff. It's really excellent all around, I enjoy it. There's some oddities here and there (the Clydesdale pilots and the TCS Verdun in ep 3 sound weird/funny!) but they're few and far between.

In particular if I didn't know any better I'd swear I was hearing Mark Hamill himself in ep 5, and a guy who sounds EXACTLY like Chris Mulkey (who played Hawk in WC4 and WCP).

And did you guys synthesize the spoken Kilrathi dialect? Not the translated Kilrathi, I know most of those are from WC3. It all sounds great. So do all the pilot 'death' comms as they're getting blown up. There's nothing hammy about it.

Whoever did Freyers in particular did a great job. His role in the story is so crucial and he has so many lines it really would have messed things up if he'd sounded horrible. But he's actually really, really well acted and carries you through each mission without missing a beat.

Also Commodore Reismann is great. Particularly in the briefing scene in the last mission, he's really a standout in the cast. The pilots are great too. There's moments that are genuinely funny just because of the voice acting. "Fuck off Spoons, we ALL do stupid things!" "What, like commit treason? Nope, never did that one!". The dramatic scenes also work really well because of the quality VA, a particular favorite of mine being Bradshaw reprimanding Cougar at the end of ep 3.

In particular if I didn't know any better I'd swear I was hearing Mark Hamill himself in ep 5, and a guy who sounds EXACTLY like Chris Mulkey (who played Hawk in WC4 and WCP).
Hehehe... you did hear Mark Hamill and Chris Mulkey in Episode 5 - we took a bunch of voices from WC3/4/P, because both Maverick and Hawk put in an appearance.

And did you guys synthesize the spoken Kilrathi dialect?
What do you mean by 'synthesize'? If you mean if the voices are artificial - no, they aren't, they're just heavily modified. If you mean if we made up the Kilrathi language phrases used in there - some of them, yes, but most of them came from the KSaga manual and a few other sources (Action Stations, for example). Even the completely made-up words and phrases are based on what is known.

Whoever did Freyers in particular did a great job. [...] Also Commodore Reismann is great.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, both Freyers and Reismann are really, really stand-out roles. Andi Kravljaca, our Commodore Reismann, earns a living with his voice - I believe he mentioned at some point that he does audiobooks; apart from that, he is a singer in a Swedish metal band - http://www.silentcall.se/]check it out, maybe you'd like to buy their album ;). Hmmm... and I think Nick Mahaffey (Freyers) also sung in a band at some point... well, I'm sure it's no surprise that people who make use of their voices are good at voice acting ;).

Anyway... thanks for the kind words. I'm sure our voice actors appreciate it - even if I know that some of them would disagree with your praise of their work ;).

Anyway... thanks for the kind words. I'm sure our voice actors appreciate it - even if I know that some of them would disagree with your praise of their work ;).
Are you talking about me ? I am taking every praise and negative comment, I like my voice work as much as I hate it :p

Are you talking about me ? I am taking every praise and negative comment, I like my voice work as much as I hate it :p
Oh, you're not the only one :p. Over the years, I've heard at least a few of our voice actors complaining about how bad their own voice work is ;).

The voice acting is very good for a fan production. If I have to look at it critically, I'd say that surprisingly the supporting characters trump the main character & Spoons in quality. The radio guy is excellent, for example, as well as many of the wingmen.

It's not that Bradshaw is bad, he just could have used some more "emotion" in the in-flight speeches (nothing wrong with the shipboard speeches though). Just something to keep in mind for the future - try to get a bit excited before you deliver a line "in space".

Bradshaw is a Wing Commander, so obviously he can't get too emotional while in flight. So it's quite okay that he remains mostly calm in combat situations, just like Chuck Yeager.

Of course there's a world of difference between "getting too excited" and....never mind. I don't want to start nitpicking fine details like that as if I was a Hollywood director.

Bradshaw is a Wing Commander, so obviously he can't get too emotional while in flight. So it's quite okay that he remains mostly calm in combat situations, just like Chuck Yeager.

I don't necessarily think it's true that he does though. He talks as much as we make him talk,

I'd like to point out that Bradshaw has a British accent, so if his ancestors kept their accent thorough the years, they surely kept the British temper, too... so how the hell Braddy could sound "excited" ? :p

He also voiced Captain Graham in UE, I think, or whoever answers comms on the Dauntless. He did a fine job there, too.

I'd like to point out that Bradshaw has a British accent, so if his ancestors kept their accent thorough the years, they surely kept the British temper, too... so how the hell Braddy could sound "excited" ? :p
Well... he might, when dealing with DLL crashes ;).

I wonder if that Fireblade's 'Bugs Bunny' taunt sounded more like "MONKEY, YOU FIGHT LIKE MERDHA."

BTW I think somebody else also voiced Commodore Reismann besides Andrej at the briefing session. Is it just me?

Right... That surely shows this project indeed came a long way. I still remember the moment I downloaded the very first chapter and... heard Bradshaw's taunts... :)

Back