Video WC3

will69

Spaceman
Hi there,

First of all (as this is my first post here) I'd like to salute the whole WC community. It's just great to find all those ressources to still play those wonderful WC games.

Second, I'm from the "France" system, so please do not blame me too much for my english.

Here's my problem: I ran wc 3 under dos box on win vista. By following the win xp tutorial, everything worked perfectly (good news for vista users). Just one custom setting: I set sound installation on sound blaster compatible (not 16 as mentionned) and it was better (at least for me).

Actually, I just have some "cuttings" in the videos. I set it on svga or vga, still the same: it's like my cdrom is too slow (or too fast as mentionned during the instal process?). Thus my question is quite simple:
How can I ease the video flow?

hope my question is clear.

it's not a disaster, I can play the game...it's just to be 100% back in the kilrathi war!!

Just in case a french dude read this: Sur la version Fr de wc3:"pour le reglage du joystick, quand l'instal vous demande d'aller vers l'avant droit, il faut en fait aller vers "arrière droit".

One option could be running the game from the hard drive. It could be the lag of your drive spinning up each time. If you copy the contents to a folder and then mount that folder as your CD drive with the -t cdrom switch, that might produce different results.

One option could be running the game from the hard drive. It could be the lag of your drive spinning up each time. If you copy the contents to a folder and then mount that folder as your CD drive with the -t cdrom switch, that might produce different results.

Oh wow, great advice. I've had the same problem and though it's tolerable I'd rather it not happen. Going to have to try this.

thanks for the tip,
gonna try that right the way

Could we copy ALL the contents of each CD to the same folder and run it that way, without a need for disk swapping (virtual or real)? That'd be freaking awesome....

As I recall, the 4 cd's have same name files on (eg movies.tre contains all the movies on that disc and is the same filename on each cd) - so this should not be possible, however, extracting all the files to gamedata or whatever might work.

Changing the resolution from svga to vga only changes the display in the game, not during the movies, so it would have no effect, it sounds like your cd drive is indeed the problem (or at least the data transfer) try the modification to the mount command, and also check the cd for scratches.

As I recall, the 4 cd's have same name files on (eg movies.tre contains all the movies on that disc and is the same filename on each cd) - so this should not be possible, however, extracting all the files to gamedata or whatever might work.

It might work if you mought the four discs as four different CD-ROM drive letters.

Back