turrets again

JKeefe

Spaceman
So I bought a turret for my Centurion. I didn't integrate the turret patch yet, so it's just two lasers and a tractor beam, purely for experimental purposes.

1. Every time I switch to the turret view, my MFD is on "view target" mode. This mode is not very usefull, and I'd really like it to defualt to examine target mode, or better yet, have it be the mode that your cockpit MFD is set to when you switch.

2. In the original Privateer, I believe you aimed your turret by aiming your ship. I like the way it's done in the remake better, but what if I want to turn my ship? Can I do that from the turret view?

3. Turret AI seems screwy.
a) Turning on turret AI gives me a cross over a certain target, but often I see that that target is in front of me, and I have a rear turret. Does the turret stick to the target I assign it to even if there's no shot? If so, how do I un-assign a target so that the turret shoots at other ships?
b) I'm not entirely sure my turret is shooting at things on its own. If I turn on the AI, but don't assign it a specific target, it should fire at anything it can hit, right?

4. Was there a radar display in the original Privateer's turret view? I'm having huge problems locating the target since the FOV is restricted by the engines (but I like the engines).

5. Was there a shields/armor dispaly in the original Privateer's turret view? Sometimes I'm getting torn to pieces but I don't even know it.

6. There is quite a bit of lag moving to and from the turret view. I will play with my graphics settings to see if that reduces it, but for now it is annoying when you are jumping back and forth a lot.

JKeefe said:
1. Every time I switch to the turret view, my MFD is on "view target" mode. This mode is not very usefull, and I'd really like it to defualt to examine target mode, or better yet, have it be the mode that your cockpit MFD is set to when you switch.
apply the patch for heaven's sake, that's one of the things that changed.

2. In the original Privateer, I believe you aimed your turret by aiming your ship. I like the way it's done in the remake better, but what if I want to turn my ship? Can I do that from the turret view?
in the original you only aimed the turret. Your ship continued on its course. It didn't look like it really since you couldn't see your ship when you turned to the side, but it was so. You could point it towards a jump point and hop in the turret to fire at baddies and you would eventually end up in the jump point.

The behaviour we have is the same (except you can see your ship). With certain variables in the config flight, it is possible to let the AI fly your ship when you are in the turret, but there is no way to steer it.

One thing you could do in the original that you can't in the remake is fire the afterburners from the turret. That would be rather tough to add, but if a good way turns up, we'll do so.

3)
a) Turning on turret AI gives me a cross over a certain target, but often I see that that target is in front of me, and I have a rear turret. Does the turret stick to the target I assign it to even if there's no shot?
Yes
If so, how do I un-assign a target so that the turret shoots at other ships?
You can't. You assign targets and turrets shoot at them (when they can. If it's in front of you a rear turret obviously won't shoot it, but it keeps it targetted). We might add a third AI mode at some point (free fire).
b) I'm not entirely sure my turret is shooting at things on its own. If I turn on the AI, but don't assign it a specific target, it should fire at anything it can hit, right?
As before, turrets must be assigned a target.
4. Was there a radar display in the original Privateer's turret view? I'm having huge problems locating the target since the FOV is restricted by the engines (but I like the engines).
There was no radar in the original. There is already one in the remake. See the screenshot attached to this post
5. Was there a shields/armor dispaly in the original Privateer's turret view? Sometimes I'm getting torn to pieces but I don't even know it.
I don't remember ;) I don't think there was though.
6. There is quite a bit of lag moving to and from the turret view. I will play with my graphics settings to see if that reduces it, but for now it is annoying when you are jumping back and forth a lot.
Most of the slowdown comes from swapping out the cockpit graphics. That can be turned off, though aesthetically it isn't very pleasing ;)

Turrets
Or is that tourettes? That's what I used to be like in the original game with those useless hulks you stuck on to your ship to absorb damage. In the remake?

Let's put it this way,
I have a Galaxy
You COULD call it a miniature Paradigm. IT. IS. AWESOME. At least it is with those Fusion Turrets. Take on three Gothri and not even lose one level of shielding? DAMN!

THIS is what the Orion SHOULD have been! I'm a flying battle station in this thing. Now if you can get the AI to autoselect targets it might REALLY be something.
Flying into battle? No problem.

Select Guns by toggling through your guns: "g"

Turn on your Turrets:
"Ctrl." + "t" = Turret AI Toggle. When it's on, you'll get a cross hair on whatever is targeted in the cockpit. Even a jump point.

Line up a hostile target in your view screen and select it:
"h" (hostile target select)

Select this target for the turrets:
"Alt." + "t" = Turret Target Select

Engage the Enemy.

Killed the target and there are more enemy?
Select the next target: "h"
"Alt." + "t" = Turret Target Select

Engage the Enemy.

Repeat as needed.

Want two targets at the same time?
Select Hostile Target in your cockpit: "h"
Then select it for your turrets: "Alt." + "t"
Select a NEW Hostile Target for your guns: "h"

Engage the Enemy.

And in the Galaxy, since the turrets are top and bottom, you have the ULTIMATE fighting machine. Now if I could eke out a bit more speed. . .

I intentionally crashed my game to say this, because it would make me WANT an Orion

Talking about the Orion and Turrets:

Turrets:
A DREAM is individual target selection for EACH turret.

Both the Centurion and the Orion are Hunters.
The Centurion is a Fighter.
The Orion, is a Hunter only? Okay, but then it needs to be formidable.

The price difference in load-out is for the Centurion's speed.
If you ask me, they should be equally powerful, but one is fast and the other is strong. Right now the Orion is a target.

Trade offs:
Speed -vs.- Shields & Raw Power

Boost the price on the Orion to 200K. THEN modify it as follows:

Orion:
Make it handle like the Galaxy but with a faster top speed than the Galaxy.
(Same speed it has now.)

Give it the same shield selection it has now.

Four FIXED forward facing guns.

- - - First set of guns on either side of the cockpit.
- - - Second set of guns in the boobs it has on the front of the cockpit.

-OR-

- - - - First set of guns where they are now
- - - - Second set of guns above and behind the cockpit
- - - - - - on the leading edge of the engine nacels.

Two Missile/Beam-Array Racks below the cockpit.

Rear Turret.

========
-----OR-----
========

Make it handle like the Galaxy but with a faster top speed than the Galaxy.
(Same speed it has now.)

Give it the same shield selection it has now.

Two FIXED forward facing guns. (Where they are now)
ONE Missile Rack below the cockpit
ONE Beam-Array Rack below the cockpit

Top and Bottom Turrets on the engine nacels

Awesome info, thanks. I will apply the patch immediately.

You can't afterburn from a turret??? No wonder I was getting torn to shreds!

I strongly concur with Wendy's propsed Orion modifications. And it sounds like I need to check out the Galaxy...

JKeefe said:
Awesome info, thanks. I will apply the patch immediately.

One note,
It seems that the turrets stay active after you land and launch again. All you need do is acquire a new target. Otherwise you will de-activate them and be wondering why you aren't getting anywhere.

NOTE:
The sound effects of the turrets overrides the soundeffects of the main guns. You ARE firing, you just don't hear it. Perhaps there's dead space on the tag or in the beginning of the sounds?

Query: Is it necessary to have turrets as 'children' components? If not, it may be possible to have the turret as an upgraded/upgradeable weapon placement hardpoint instead. Then the firing view could just be a 'directional' view from a different camera position relative to the ship perhaps. But how to get the camera to pivot relative to the ship and keep the guns 'solid' to the camera....

turret problem

Im having a slight problem with the turrets.

1: I have game v 1.0pre5 with the mod download, and hud download.

2: I am using a centurion and cant buy medium turrets with any type of gun.

3: When I am in the turret view the guns are listed as flak laser.

So how do I upgrade the turret?

Thanks

I had a turret medium rear prior to patching. Is it suppose to go away? and also I have not seen any turret medium rears after patching; only the turrets + guns.

The version on the download page. think its version 1.0per5 and the modification and hud downloads on the same page

The enhancement patch is an inofficial modification of the game, contact the creator of the modification if you are encountering any problems.

Take a look here.

I'm only using 1 type of turret in the patch (mediumrear) both for looks and for more readability in the list.

You can buy turrets, they are under guns -- just buy them and place them normally.

The flak laser turret is a freebie with the ship chassis (I mainly did that for testing the turret GFX and decided to leave it in). Really almost does no damage tho.

If you have a Cent or Orion and apply the patch subsequently, you have to sell your ship chassis and buy it again for the turrets to work right -- sorry for the inconvenience :( just open your save game file with notepad and give yourself some extra cash to get back your upgrades.

Hi again,

I tried what spiritplumber said but still didnt work. I dont seen any non-gun turrets and the gun-turrets are still not equipable. =(

Hrm!

downloaded the patch, re extracted it. sold the centurion, bought another one. even bought a galaxy and an orion and still cant use the turrets. =(

Quick question: You took out the turrent mounts and replaced it with a turret + gun. So all you have to do is buy a T & G and it functions right?

no, the turrets are still mono-bloc.... what happens exactly? you can't buy them? you can buy them but not equip them? you can buy & equip but they don't fire?

The problem was when I went to buy them the names were in red, so I couldnt buy them at all, even though I had the cash for it. What I ended up doing was reinstalling privateer then the patch and now it works. go figure.

Thanks for your time and assistance spiritplumber!! =)

Back