Trip Report: Citizen Con 2014 (October 14, 2014)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
The CIC Staff is all back home after nearly a week in Southern California. While KrisV, AD & Dundradal held the fort online, LOAF, Frosty, ace and I kept busy in Los Angeles. We got a chance to check out the latest on Star Citizen at Citizen Con 2014 last Friday. Chris Roberts presented a status update on what Cloud Imperium Games and its affiliate studios have been up to, revealed new ships, gave a planetside demo and set forth the roadmap for the next year. The collage image pictured below includes the logos from thousands of different player organizations, including the CIC's group. On Sunday, there was also an open house at the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena. We saw functional mockups of the Mars rovers as well as the actual SMAP satellite in final testing before it launches in a couple months. The team was also happy to meet up with a couple of long time CIC visitors/contributors, Mark Thornton and Eddie Benowitz. We love meeting other diehard Wingnuts like us!

--
Original update published on October 14, 2014

Last edited by a moderator:
So much brilliance, I need shades. :cool:

I'm incredibly excited for the future, we'd only joked about what we'd get for $50 million in the early days. Now we're pushing 60! They made 1.3 million dollars in just one day of the 890 Jump and Cutlass sale.

It may not be Wing Commander but with so many former Origin folks and even our own Bandit_LOAF working on this project I have no doubts the experience will be a culmination of everything WC Online was intended to feel like. Now if we could just get an HD remastering of our old titles that'd be a good start.

Perhaps when Star Citizen is officially, "launched," perhaps EA could license CIG to produce a new Wing Commander. I know, pipe dream maybe, but a dream is a dream. It's why we're still here, no? Obviously Piranha screwed the pooch on that opportunity so we'll see where the licensing travels next. Clearly Chris has demonstrated how well he can put a project together with enough moxy to pull it off.

That first ship has sailed but who's to say a renegotiation isn't possible in the future? Who am I kidding, EA is sitting on a pile of development studios who just as easily might want to take a crack at it.

In the meantime, we get a fine example of someone doing on genre justice.

Back